Peacemakers - Page 2

Peacemakers

This is a discussion on Peacemakers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He is an amazing shooter Yeah...what he does aint natural......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peacemakers

Senior Moderator
    He is an amazing shooter
    Yeah...what he does aint natural...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I've carried my Peacemaker from time to time. While wearing a duster it's fairly easy to conceal.

If I were to carry a single action revolver on a regular basis though I would probably try to get a S&W Russian or model 3 (Modern versions made by Navy Arms).

A Peacemaker would be fine for a night stand or a pick-up gun (after seeing comercials for Taurus's the Judge), and a wilderness. And of course Wild Bill days in Deadwood, SD but you wouldn't have to be concealed if you had your hat and boots during that weekend

The major draw backs of is the single action and to carry safely you should only have five in the cylinder. You should go two gunned at least (a couple of hide out guns)

ON average I would still rather carry my 1911
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I really would not feel unarmed with a Ruger Vaquero or Colt SAA, especially if backed up by a snubnose, ejectorless version of the same on the other side.

Then again, I'd carry a Navy Colt with confidence.

It's a shame really; I shoot best with SAA clones but prefer the semi-auto because of the speed for follow up shots. (I can follow up with a DA revolver as quickly as I can cock a SA revolver).

Josh <><

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Like anything if you train understress will a semi-auto or a double action pistol a Peacemaker wouldn't be that much harder if you ever had to use it.

A Long Colt round really defeats the .45 vs 9 MM Luger debate once and for all.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I have a nickel 4 3/4 inch Berreta Stampede in .45 Colt. If I could find some good concealment leather for it, I might carry it and wouldn't feel one bit undergunned.

Cabela's here has one of these beauties, I think it would make a dandy CCW gun.

I recall a recent article in American Handgunner where Duke Venturino (sp?) said that at Thunder Ranch, Clint Smith had him go toe to toe with a guy firing a 1911.

They fired 5 shots each (don't recall how far away the targets were) and no one could decide who shot faster. They repeated the drill with the same results. Duke shot two handed and cocked the hammer with his weak hand (no fanning).

Sounds impressive. I guess the SAA would work well unless you get wounded in one arm and then had to cock with your shooting hand. That would be slower.

Also, if you had to use one hand to fend off a knife or something, the SAA might be more difficult to handle one handed.

But, hey, it's a heck of a lot better than going unarmed isn't it?

I've been wanting one of these for years. Christmas is coming!

Senior Moderator
    I've got a Urberti clone in 45 LC and it always is my hunting side arm. I wouldn't use it to CCW, but as a truck gun you could do worse.
    Last edited by pgrass101; November 22nd, 2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: picture did not work

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    ...is there any place/situation where a peacemaker makes an acceptable defenseive weapon?
    ANY situation!?! Of course! Single actions have been getting the job done for a very long time. Is it the BEST choice? Probably not. But if you're comfortable with it then it's a whole lot better than shouting "Stop, or I'll yell stop again!"

I have a .357mag blackhawk. For some reason this is is a very easy gun for me to shoot accurately. I used to carry it as a truck gun when it was the only centerfire handgun I owned. Never CCW though. It can be fired quite fast using the method mentioned above cocking with the weak hand thumb. I would be as comfortable carrying my blackhawk as I would a similar sized double action revolver if it weren't for the fact that there's just no fast way to reload.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I like my .357 Blackhawk so much that I want one in every caliber, barrel length and finish factory available.

I have the 6 1/2" version, and six out of six in a paper plate at 25yds isn't hard to do. The gun, as all of my guns, shoots better than I do.

Wouldn't be one that I would carry, but a proficient shooter would do well with it.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have a hankering to carry my Webely MkVI in .455, with the right moon clip or reloader it would be pretty dam fast to reload.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    You know, with LOTS of practice one could sliphammer on of these with good defensive accuracy, about 3" at 15 feet with speed.

Josh <><

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think they are viable CCW's as long as you recognize and are prepared to accept their limitations.

I've carried a couple of SA's in my time and never felt undergunned.

You gotta A-I-M (you should always, anyway, even when you're armed with a plastic high-capacity death ray), and you need to beat feet if possible.

But I think they'd do the job, at least in the vast majority of fights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links