Peacemakers

This is a discussion on Peacemakers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread is more of just a curiosity issue for me than anything. Right now I keep the same Springfield Armory 1911A1 that I use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peacemakers

Peacemakers

This thread is more of just a curiosity issue for me than anything. Right now I keep the same Springfield Armory 1911A1 that I use as my carry weapon on my night stand along with a led flashlight. However, growing up I worked on my grandma's horse ranch, and watched too many John Wayne movies, so I've always been into the cowboy stuff, yes I know I am in Ohio and will catch hell from you Texas boys, but whatever, I've been roping and riding and wearin cowboy boots for a long time. Anyways, being drawn to such things one of the first pistol i had to buy myself was a .45LC Peacemaker, just had to. So i have a beautiful blued Uberti Cattleman, with the brass backstrap. Its as accurate as I am, and .45LC has a reputation as being able to put down many critters, including the bipedal kind. It is obviously slow on the reload, and doesnt fire as fast as a semi-auto.

But what is yall's opinion, is there any place/situation where a peacemaker makes an acceptable defenseive weapon? Is it a viable nightstand gun, or walk in the woods gun, (as much as I like the thing I'm not even gonna bring up the idea of ccw'ing it with its 5 1/2 inch barrel)? Or are such revolvers nowadays just good for putting holes in paper or maybe deer and their use as defenseive arms has come to an end and been replaced completely? Look forward to see what type of opinions people have on this topic.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Too slow , bulky for a CCW arm for me. I do carry a .44 mag SA Ruger Vaquero for deer though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Let me put it this way, I would rather face a gangbanger with an autoloader then I would one of them old rangerats with a peacemaker. It never got that name by accident. If you are proficient with a single action revolver they can be viable in many cases. I carry my Ruger Super Blackhawk while in the hills.

Assistant Administrator
    Nightstand? - perhaps. Out in the Boonies? - definite option.

Carry? - I doubt really practical - which you realize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I like em.
    Got a stainless .45 Ruger Vaquero myself...

They arent the best tool in the world for CCW, but its definatley better than throwing rocks.

Believe it or not, I have a friend that is big into the Cowboy Shooting Sports and does carry one concealed. He's a big ole boy and you'd never notice it if he did'nt tell you. He carrys it near the small of his back in the waistband and uses a string tied to his belt loop that has a small dowel tied to it. This he puts in the barrel of the gun and its stays where its put. Kindof primitve, but it works.

Since most statistics say that gun battles are over in 3.2 shots anyway, I dont think you'd be as "undergunned" as one would think by using a revolver. The .45 LC has been around for a long time because its too good a round to die out.

If you like it,practice with it and are proficent with it, I'd say carry it...if thats what you want to do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I own several single-action revolvers......I don't carry any concealed, but I do carry them during hunting season, usually as a backup to a long gun.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

You Be The Judge...

If you're comfortable with it...practice a lot...

If you can hit things with it...practice a lot...

It's you're gun, and if you like it...practice a lot...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I've seen some in skilled hands that would make any belt fed glock shooter running with his tail between his legs.

Go watch a SASS match, they are very fun. Some of those guys/gals have some amazing skills. There are a few near both Cinci and Columbus in the summer.

I've been at SASS matches, I used to practice with some family friends who did the mounted shooting as well as SASS, some of those folks really can shoot. And its a lot harder to shoot a ballon thats only a couple feet away with a .45 while goin at a full gallop than one might think, or not, I suppose it doesnt sound all that easy.

I have open carried mine before on private property for use as a woods gun. Also as corny as it sounds, there is just a neat feeling of having my peacemaker in its rig while I'm riding (too many John Wayne movies, I know.) During hunting season I'll prolly have both it and my Marlin .30-30, Grandma doesnt let anyone hunt on her property, but sometimes we find tree stands mighty close to the fences. And it used to be my nightstand gun before I bought my 1911A1.

I am shocked that in the hour since I have started this thread not a single person discounted it for all defensive purposes, but there have been numberous affirmative responses. Must say something about the round/design. Maybe I shoulda brought up my .44 Colt 1851 Navy...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    carrying for defensive purposes...

dont do it! DONT DO IT!

that single action is way to slow to reload...!

feel better now ?

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hotguns,

How about a top break S&W? Eh?

Josh <><

Administrator
    The 45 Long Colt is such a great classic cartridge. Absolutely a neat walk in the woods gun. I don't know if I would carry one defensively but there ARE some very amazing shoulder holsters out there to enable you to carry one concealed.

Some folks in the Western states still pack them concealed in a vertical shoulder rig.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    How about a top break S&W? Eh?
    Definately quicker...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I've seen some cowboy action shooters that could put most folks with DAs or Autos to shame, at least until they had to reload.

I also saw Bob Mundin on American shooter hit center on a target with 6 shots with a peacemaker faster than he could do it with a 1911.

If your good with it, it can be as effective as any other HD weapon, however for CCW, probably not. You only have six shots though so you have to make 'em count. I think it was Wyatt Erp who said "shoot deliberately".
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    Bob Munden tosses aspirin tablets up in the air and powders them with a single bullet. The bullet diameter is larger than the aspirin tablet.
    He is an amazing shooter.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links