FrogLube: My Unscientific test

FrogLube: My Unscientific Test

This is a discussion on FrogLube: My Unscientific Test within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First off, I’m fastidious about cleaning my weapons. I clean them using 3.5x magnification, plastic picks, pipe cleaners, swabs, & lint-free cloths. I use Hoppes ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FrogLube: My Unscientific test

FrogLube: My Unscientific test

First off, I’m fastidious about cleaning my weapons. I clean them using 3.5x magnification, plastic picks, pipe cleaners, swabs, & lint-free cloths. I use Hoppes to clean, then lube with Gun Slick. Whether I shoot 2 or 200 rounds, they’re cleaned (20 yrs in the Corps so it’s 2nd nature). It may seem odd, but it’s like therapy to me.
    The weapons used were:

• Sig P226
    • M&P 40C
    • Kimber Super Carry Custom HD
    • Bersa Firestorm

For the first use, I followed FrogLube’s recommendation & used their Solvent to remove petroleum products from my “clean” guns. I followed their directions to-the-letter. I was a little surprised that mt lint-free showed a little bit of “gunk” which I attributed to petroleum product residue.

Using a nylon brush, I thoroughly scrubbed in & coated every part, including the bore (with a coated bore brush) with FrogLube. Then using a hairdryer, I heated each piece until it was uncomfortably hot to the touch. Then I let them cool down to room temperature.

Great Googly Moogly! I was utterly amazed at how much gunk came off of them when I went through my normal cleaning process (I used fresh lint-free cloths to get a base line). The amount of gunk that came out of the bore was staggering! I then did a light lube with FrogLube.

I took my wife & my oldest son to the range & put 200 rounds through each weapon. I used a mix of MagTech, American Eagle, Blazer, & Fiocchi ammunition. The pistols ran a little smoother than usual& had zero problems…other than 2 rounds with dud primers.

Follow up cleaning was to wipe off the major buildup, scrub in FrogLube (with a nylon brush), wait 5 minutes, & then clean as usual. I was quite surprised at how easy they were to clean (I barely used the picks). It cut my cleaning time by about 30%-40%.

All-in-all, I am throughly impressed with FrogLube and am now a convert! May Lord Hoppes forgive me!
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Like the stuff smells good an since no petroleum ingredients it does not hurt nice wood grips

Just got my shipment yesterday....clarifying question - did you clean with Frog Lube even after you cleaned using their solvent? Or did you just use the Frog Lube once - to lube the gun.

I didn't buy the solvent, but used rubbing alcohol instead. I then applied Frog Lube and left it at that.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Might have to give that a try after the next range session.

I went to their website. Marcus Luttrell said its good. I'm in.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Just got my shipment yesterday....clarifying question - did you clean with Frog Lube even after you cleaned using their solvent? Or did you just use the Frog Lube once - to lube the gun.

I didn't buy the solvent, but used rubbing alcohol instead. I then applied Frog Lube and left it at that.
    I've been using Frog lube for about six months now . Yes re apply the frog lube after the solvent . Once you have a few applications , I just use the the paste . The gun just cleans up so easy . It smells so much better than hopps, and it works great for Chapstick ! It's food grade ....lol

So far it's been great stuff . Last time I shot around 250 rounds, and my pistol cleaned up real nice with little effort . Don't forget the hair dryer to heat up the parts and just wipe off :)

Cheers

I used frog lube on a new 1911 before it was ever fired.I heated it and all that stuff.I seemed to make it operate slicker and seemed to not get as dirty. I am not sure about it.But I am thinking right now that it is good stuff.

I need to try this stuff.

I can spend an hour cleaning a stainless steel revolver, and it still won't be clean enough to suit me.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I know what you mean, it takes me much longer to get my revolvers clean than any of my semis except my mk111 a real pain

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewiz View Post
    I've been using Frog lube for about six months now . Yes re apply the frog lube after the solvent . Once you have a few applications , I just use the the paste . The gun just cleans up so easy . It smells so much better than hopps, and it works great for Chapstick ! It's food grade ....lol

So far it's been great stuff . Last time I shot around 250 rounds, and my pistol cleaned up real nice with little effort . Don't forget the hair dryer to heat up the parts and just wipe off :)

Cheers
    I actually took a heat gun to the barrel, to the point it was just a tad bit too hot to touch (like they often are after a couple hundred rounds at the range). My XDS has a polymer frame, so I was afraid to heat the frame too much where the slide contacts it (even though those rails are metal). Thus I went easy on the frame components.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Changed to FrogLube about 6 months ago. Very happy with it's performance on handguns and rifles.

I clean with it and lube with it. Easy clean up.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar

Ahhhh nothing like a minty fresh handgun

I'm a FrogLube convert, all I use now. Even use it on my Colt pre-Woodsman made in 1921, and it runs smoother than it ever did.

I don't use the FL solvent, I use Simple Green, works great, no harsh chemicals or smell, and works great, not to mention much cheaper (bought a gallon at Sam's for less than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I actually took a heat gun to the barrel, to the point it was just a tad bit too hot to touch (like they often are after a couple hundred rounds at the range). My XDS has a polymer frame, so I was afraid to heat the frame too much where the slide contacts it (even though those rails are metal). Thus I went easy on the frame components.
    I always use heat to the point on the metal parts I can barley hold it in my hand then I let it cool off and wipe it down :) I concentrate on the slides, barrel the ejection port. I use a light coat in the mag well, the magazine itself and the outside .with these polymer pistols I really don't think a hair dryer will hurt this stuff . Modern plastics are tough as nails . The more I use it the better it works ....:)

I use it for everything now. I just used it on the hinges on my new shed. i've even heard it being used on leather so I used on a few knife sheaths and it works well

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I ordered last week, but received notice my order shipped yesterday. I'm still not sold on these dry treatments, but if an old gunny likes it, who cleans like I do (clean means you cannot find dirt or carbon, period), I'm ready to be a convert!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links