Remington 700 vs Savage Model 11

This is a discussion on Remington 700 vs Savage Model 11 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I should be making a range trip this weekend, and haven't done any scoped center fire rifle work in a while, so I think I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Remington 700 vs Savage Model 11

I should be making a range trip this weekend, and haven't done any scoped center fire rifle work in a while, so I think I will break these two out, and pit them against each other. Both are chambered in .308, the Remington is a SPS, and the Savage was a package deal that came with a scope, I thinks its official model name is the 11 FLXP3.

I have a rather simple method in mind, after verifying that both scopes are still zero'd, fire a 5 shot group at 100 yards, and see which one does the best with me behind the trigger.

I don't think I have ever shot both on the same day, so I honestly am not sure which one is more accurate. Both have their advantages and disadvantages:

The Savage weighs considerably less, and has the excellent accu-trigger. It does however, still have the stock 3-9x40 Bushnell scope. It is a normal profile barrel, although a longer barrel, I think 22". I have always really liked the feel of the action on it, it is very slick and fast.

The Remington is heavier, partially because of the Hogue over molded stock, and partially fro. The 20" bull barrel. I think the Savage has a better trigger system. The 700 has a recent production Red field 4-12x40 scope, which while not being top of the line glass, is better than the Bushnell.

So, who has predictions as to which one is the more accurate rifle? I haven't decided if I am going to use a bipod, or my 1917 style sling, but the same method will be used for booth. Likewise, the same ammo will be used for both.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I cut my teeth on a 700 BDL in .30-06! The sentimentalist in me wants to pick the Remington but from what I hear they're not the guns they used to be. The Savage will probably be pretty hard to beat. That is a good trigger. Should be a good contest!
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My 700 ADL in 30-06 has always been a shooter. But Savage has always made excellent rifles. I'd have to toss a coin on this one, but I'd lean toward the 700 if pressed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you are not using the same scope to shoot through there is no way to compare them. The heavy barrel should do better, the lighter barrel will show more affect by any slight difference in powder charge, due to barrel vibration, also slight change as barrel worms up, changing point of impact.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    So jealous right now
    Have fun

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    You didn't specify what year vintage the Model 700 is. If it is recent vintage then the Savage being a winner is a safe bet. If it is older Model 700 then it could be real close either way. I've got an older 1981 vintage 700 BDL in .243 w/ a 24" bbl that is a tack driver.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    If you are not using the same scope to shoot through there is no way to compare them. The heavy barrel should do better, the lighter barrel will show more affect by any slight difference in powder charge, due to barrel vibration, also slight change as barrel worms up, changing point of impact.
    I never said it was a perfect test. I am looking at getting a new scope for one of them in the near future, and this is part of trying to figure out which one to put it on.

The vintage on both is recent, probably made in the last 5-7 years.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Money is on the Savage. At 100 yds that scope will be fine.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Money is on the Savage. At 100 yds that scope will be fine.
    That's part of the reason I will be shooting at 100, that distance will help negate any advantage the Red field may have (like a BDC reticle vs a normal cross hair). I can shoot further at the gun club, and probably will outside the test.

I know I have shot the, both quite well in the past, I just don't think I have ever shot both at the range on the same day. The savage's trigger is unquestionably the better of the two.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    That's part of the reason I will be shooting at 100, that distance will help negate any advantage the Red field may have (like a BDC reticle vs a normal cross hair). I can shoot further at the gun club, and probably will outside the test.

I know I have shot the, both quite well in the past, I just don't think I have ever shot both at the range on the same day. The savage's trigger is unquestionably the better of the two.
    I love the accu trigger...Savage has come a long way. We have both, Rem and Savage. I prefer Savage now, not just for the cost, but because it is equal to superioir to the Rem.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I love the accu trigger...Savage has come a long way. We have both, Rem and Savage. I prefer Savage now, not just for the cost, but because it is equal to superioir to the Rem.
    I am certain the most accurate rifle I own is my heavy barreled Mark 2. Savage makes an impressive rifle for the price. Of course, that is also the only rifle I have with a scope that cost as much as the rifle.

And for anyone who is interested, its looking like the ammo for tomorrow's test will be Prvi Partisan 168gr HPBT, because that is what I found locally at a decent price.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    So, who has predictions as to which one is the more accurate rifle? I haven't decided if I am going to use a bipod, or my 1917 style sling, but the same method will be used for booth. Likewise, the same ammo will be used for both.
    Hard to say which will turn out to be more accurate.

Out of a Savage 12FLV and a Remington 700 SPS Varmint that I've had, comparing them both in stock configuration (with crappy, flexy plastic stock, factory trigger, and a basic scope), I'd say the Savage. But the Savage that I had was one with a 26" heavy barrel, and the Accu-Trigger made a difference in repeatable groups.

But overall, I'd say the Rem 700 has taken the cake, in my own stable. Though, the Rem 700 has been modified with a custom-built, uber-stiff glass stock, Jewell trigger and decent glass, which makes it hard to beat in that regard. Sub-inch @ 300yd 5-shot groups is something the Savage couldn't achieve for me. But then, back with the Savage I was just learning rifle marksmanship, so it's hard to be certain. I'm sure any "real" marksman could have done passably well with either.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; June 21st, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Can't wait to hear the outcome. Prvi makes some pretty good stuff, I've used both their 5.56 and 7.62 in the past.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Can't wait to hear the outcome. Prvi makes some pretty good stuff, I've used both their 5.56 and 7.62 in the past.
    I've had some issues with Prvi pistol ammo, particularly in .380, but I have shot a fair amount of their rifle stuff and it always works great.

CCW9mm, the stock on both does leave a bit to be desired, but both are just kind of the mid-line rifle from each manufacturer. And for the average user who may very well never shoot over 300 yards, they probably don't know the difference.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    My money is on the Remington with Savage being very respectable as well.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links