Proud dad!

This is a discussion on Proud dad! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I took my son with me to look at a pistol I wanted to check out the other day (45 in 1911 flavor) clerk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Proud dad!

Proud dad!

So I took my son with me to look at a pistol I wanted to check out the other day (45 in 1911 flavor) clerk behind the counter hands it to me, without clearing it i may add. I pick it up, clear it and check it out when I'm done i hand it to my 15yr old son and asked him what do you think? He promptly points it at the floor, clears it then he proceeds to check it out. With a big grin on my face I tell the clerk that's my boy, did you see that! He's been around guns his whole life and he is very safe (he also takes my 45 compact away from me every time I take him to the range lol) just wanted to crow what a smart kid. I've ALWAYS told him EVERY gun is loaded!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Great story. You've trained your son well. Now you gotta work on the store clerk!

Ben

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Ditto!

VIP Member
    Welcome to the site , and good you are teaching the next generation of gun owner(s)
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Yeah its a great feeling. My boy followed me and joined USAF, where he is now finishing up training. Im going to be giving him numerous of my firearms, which I know he will handle safely and one day teach my grand son to do the same. Or grand daughter. Passing on our great life style is an even bigger pleasure then living it. Congrats on a well trained and responsible child. Soon to be a man.
    "America is held together by one piece of paper"

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    My 15 year old son went to the LGS last week and was looking around and asked if he could look at one of the handguns(I can't remember which one he said which seems to happen more and more the older I get). The clerk cleared and handed it to him and he pointed it at the floor and checked it himself and the clerk said but I already checked it for you and my son said that is OK but my dad said never to trust the fact that the other person did what they were supposed to do. The clerk chuckled a little.
    fredg53 and Black Knight like this.

This is how gun safety should be. Most of the incidents involving children, handguns with injury of fatalities happen because parents do not take make the effort to teach it.

Teaching the correct procedures with handguns, rifles or shotguns and youths just is not in fashion anymore. By teaching them, it eliminates much of the mystery surrounding guns when kids have the curiosity with the firearm.

You should be a proud dad, your kid is on the way to being a safe, responsible and good future gun owner.
    BigPony likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

don't post this on Facebook, you'll have Child Protective Serives at your door for "endagering a child".

I raised my daughters to do the same thing, and taught them early on the proper safe gun handlin practices.

glad to see your son is paying attention, and good on you for teaching him the right way.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You know if you clear that weapon every time you touch it you won't have many problems!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You and Glock2201 have sons to be very proud of. At 15 gun safety is not something young men normally concentrate on. Well done dads.

Both my daughters shoot hand guns and shot guns (Skeet & Trap) and I love taking them shooting, there is a real feeling of pride when you see a young girl(s) walking out with shot guns and absolutely no concerns about their safety (Because you know they have been correctly taught and will NOT do anything stupid). I love to see people correctly handling firearms and enjoying them. Congrats on your sons up bringing..

Gary

Surely something to be proud of...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by truckmech View Post
    You know if you clear that weapon every time you touch it you won't have many problems!
    I can honestly say that whenever I handle a firearm, I drop the mag, rack the slide, inspect the chamber...then rack it 5-6 mores times just to be sure.

It's become a habit like putting on my seat belt.

VIP Member
    Good on ya and welcome to the forums.

The Archie Bunker avatar is way cool...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links