Guy shoots himself at USPSA match

This is a discussion on Guy shoots himself at USPSA match within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OS0...e_gdata_player I disagree with this being a accident I believe the shooter did multiple things wrong curious what you guys/girls think. If anyone can break ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Guy shoots himself at USPSA match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OS0...e_gdata_player

I disagree with this being a accident I believe the shooter did multiple things wrong curious what you guys/girls think.
    If anyone can break this down and enhance frames it looks like the first frame you see the gun after he shoots himself there are flesh tones near the trigger.

Sorry if this a duplicate

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk

can't be sure from camera angle but looks likely his finger on the trigger or some thing got hung up on the trigger

Not a "firearm malfunction"
    Eagleks likes this.

RKM
    The holster had to catch the trigger or something. The only malfunction I can think of that would cause a legitimate "accidental" discharge would be a slam fire, and by the looks of it, he already had a round chamber and the gun didn't go off until he re-holstered it. In my opinion, never rush a reholster, and make damn sure nothing gets caught in the trigger guard. You don't need to keep your eyes down range for more threats. If you think there may be more threats, don't reholster.

Things happen, and we may ALL be come complacent at one time or another, we're only human. The time I truly fear an ND is when I'm reholstering. I'm always as carefully as I can be when doing so.

"I really can't say much other than I am absolutely, 100% embarrassed" but then goes on for a total of 8 minutes 15 seconds.

Incident itself at 1:29.
    perfection, OD*, TX expat and 3 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Is seems that its always the guns fault when people shoot themselves in the leg re-holstering their weapons. I am calling Crap on this.....
    WHEC724, Eagleks, mkh and 4 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Re-holstering is "off the clock", take your time.

In spite of his statement that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, either a finger or something else got in the way of the trigger as he holstered.

Then after he shoots himself, he points the gun rearward (although in a generally downward direction), appearing to sweep the RSO - having lost concentration on what he was doing. That suggests to me that his safety discipline wasn't as good as he thinks it is.

Gun malfunction? Unlikely, but I'll keep an open mind. This one looks to me like pilot error.
    perfection, msgt/ret, OD* and 8 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What makes me mad about the video is he takes no responsibility for the ND. At least Tex Grebner owned up to his mistake.

Galaxy S4 on TapaTalk
    perfection, atctimmy and ccw9mm like this.

I can't believe he actually gave a warning to "safety nazis" in the description. If I was him I'd never use that term again
    perfection and OPFOR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In spite of his statement that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, either a finger or something else got in the way of the trigger as he holstered.

Then after he shoots himself, he points the gun rearward (although in a generally downward direction), appearing to sweep the RSO - having lost concentration on what he was doing. That suggests to me that his safety discipline wasn't as good as he thinks it is.

Gun malfunction? Unlikely, but I'll keep an open mind. This one looks to me like pilot error.
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. If he didn't muzzle sweep the RSO, he came awfully close to it. How are we supposed to believe this was not an ND with this camera angle? I'm guessing he just made this video to make himself feel better.

Distinguished Member
    Thought I'd point out what someone else did somewhere else. There is no such thing as "re-holstering." You holster your weapon. When you pull the gun out, you then holster it. It matters not that it was in the holster at one time. It would be like saying you are going to re-cock your revolver. You never re-cock it. You only cock it.
    perfection likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Thought I'd point out what someone else did somewhere else. There is no such thing as "re-holstering." You holster your weapon. When you pull the gun out, you then holster it. It matters not that it was in the holster at one time. It would be like saying you are going to re-cock your revolver. You never re-cock it. You only cock it.
    What if you put it in the holster but didn't get it in correctly, so then you "re-holster" it?

And on the guy shooting himself, I can't say if the firearm malfunctioned or not, but I can say that his muzzle discipline after was very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    I can't believe he actually gave a warning to "safety nazis" in the description. If I was him I'd never use that term again
    "All them safety Nazi's think I shouldn't have shot myself in the leg! What's wrong with them???"

Can't tell what happened, from the view on the off-hand side. Could have had his finger on the trigger, though he claims he didn't. Could have gotten the gun's trigger hung up on his holster/clothing during reholstering, which he claims didn't happen. He says it was "100%" a gun malfunction. Perhaps.

Either way, a good lesson and reminder for us all. A gun is always loaded. Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target. Caution, during reholstering.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    What if you put it in the holster but didn't get it in correctly, so then you "re-holster" it?
    That would be a rare occurence so the normal action would be to holster it and not the normal term to use.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links