retsupt99 Was Robbed Last Night... - Page 2

retsupt99 Was Robbed Last Night...

This is a discussion on retsupt99 Was Robbed Last Night... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This really sucks! It is a shame people resort to this kind of thing....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This really sucks! It is a shame people resort to this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    My car has been broken into twice this year. Broken window both times. First time, they got most of my CD's (I had them backed up on the PC though)
    According to the RIAA, you need to re-buy all those CDs. You're not allowed to use backups (even if you have the originals), or even make backups, or make MP3s and play on an MP3 player.

Not that I would ever worry about copyright laws in regards to music, but thought you should be aware of the law according to the music industry's interpretation of it.

and almost got my CD player (it was held in the dash with a steel strap and the thief couldn't break it).
    Mind you, I am not advocating this at all (because it's illegal and you can get in a lot of trouble for it, unfortunately), but I have read on other car-oriented forums about people epoxying razor blades to the backsides of their car stereos. Some of them have come to their car and found big puddles of blood in them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    Mind you, I am not advocating this at all (because it's illegal and you can get in a lot of trouble for it, unfortunately), but I have read on other car-oriented forums about people epoxying razor blades to the backsides of their car stereos. Some of them have come to their car and found big puddles of blood in them.
    I'm not advocating it either, but who is going to report someone who does this?

Actually, it is legal to make one backup copy. It is only illegal to distribute said backup.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    When I lived in New Orleans I had a friend whose car stereo was taken a couple of times even though he had an alarm. By the time he got out of his apartment and down to the parking lot it was gone. He decided that it was going to stop. When he replaced the stereo he hung big treble hooks on all the wiring and around behind the stereo. The next time the alarm went off he leisurely walked down to the parking lot and found a young "gentleman" more or less permanently attached to the underside of his dash board. My friend then proceeded to use a rubber hose on the upper torso of the young "gentleman" who started off threatening to call the police. My friends answer was, "Go ahead and while you have them on the phone be sure to tell them why your hands are attached to my stereo." That sort of shut him up. After administering a lesson that the "gentleman" would not soon forget my friend took out some wire cutters and cut the "gentleman" loose. He then explained to the young "gentleman" that what had been done to him was mild compared to what would be done to him or any of his friends if they were found in that parking lot again. Just to reinforce the message my friend reached behind the seat and pull out a Louisville Slugger and showed it to the gentleman. It was about a year later that the friend moved, but during that year the parking lot and the apartment complex were surprisingly quiet and unbothered.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Treble hooks huh! Now that appeals - a lot!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I can't believe this happened in our neighborhood last night...

I became aware of a problem this morning on my way to work. My wife and I were both in the car when I reached up to turn on my 'radar detector'...gone...
    Fortunately radar detectors are illegal for us in Virginia.

But seriously, I had a pistol stolen from my truck a few years ago. Definitely not a good thing.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    When I lived in New Orleans I had a friend whose car stereo was taken a couple of times even though he had an alarm. By the time he got out of his apartment and down to the parking lot it was gone. He decided that it was going to stop. When he replaced the stereo he hung big treble hooks on all the wiring and around behind the stereo. The next time the alarm went off he leisurely walked down to the parking lot and found a young "gentleman" more or less permanently attached to the underside of his dash board. My friend then proceeded to use a rubber hose on the upper torso of the young "gentleman" who started off threatening to call the police. My friends answer was, "Go ahead and while you have them on the phone be sure to tell them why your hands are attached to my stereo." That sort of shut him up. After administering a lesson that the "gentleman" would not soon forget my friend took out some wire cutters and cut the "gentleman" loose. He then explained to the young "gentleman" that what had been done to him was mild compared to what would be done to him or any of his friends if they were found in that parking lot again. Just to reinforce the message my friend reached behind the seat and pull out a Louisville Slugger and showed it to the gentleman. It was about a year later that the friend moved, but during that year the parking lot and the apartment complex were surprisingly quiet and unbothered.

dr_cmg your story made me laugh and reminded me of a story of my friend. My friend caught the thieves red handed stealing his stereo in his truck. This was before Missouri CCW law. He grabed his pistol from his house and held the two there untill the police arrived. The two were 16 yo and basicly hands were slapped and let go. But my friend was arrested for holdimg a deadly weapon on them. Kind of ironic isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post

Just keep in mind that setting boobytraps is illegal just about everywhere - with jail time, I think. Also, the amount the perp can get from you in civil suit is probably enough to make it worthwhile for him to call the cops on you. Stealing a stereo gets a slap on the wrist, after which he will greatly enjoy your $50,000 or so.

I think you are within your rights, morally, but you'll get screwed.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Sorry for your loss. ALWAYS lock your car & your home., there are NO safe neighborhoods. Try to keep valuables out of sight. Being in the insurance business, I see this stuff ALL the time.

Aparently, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m...we lost about $500 dollars worth of items.
    My care is barely worth $500 ... I certainly don't keep $500 worth of ANYTHING in my car (sorry ... I don't mean to beat up on the victim here).

Back in highschool a friend of mine had his car broken into several times and his stereo stolen ... car was a 1969 GTO and the damage done to the car each time was significantly more costly than the cost of replacing the stereo.

He did the razorblade thing and just left the car unlocked ... never had another stereo stolen but he had to reupholster the front seats (the blood had even soaked into the foam in the seat ... yuck!).

I used to drive a 1970 Porsche 914 ... I never locked it because the method used to break into a 914 consists of prying the door handle off ... 914 door handles are a NLA item and cost $200+ to replace (assuming they don't also damage the door) and since I didn't have a radio in the car (or a heater ... the car was more of a race car than a street car) I just figured it was best to leave it unlocked.

Sorry to heat this. Too bad LE couldn't somehow have warned homeowners of the problem. I get a report about every week and a half from our chief telling of crime activities that have taken place. I'll bet in 99.99% of the time car/home thiefts were with unlocked doors or open garages. It is so easy to forget from time to time and all it takes is once.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Not to pick nits, but you were not robbed, you were burglarized.

A robbery involves the taking of something from the person of the victim. A burglary involves taking something from an unattended place.

Either way, it stinks. I hope they locate your thief hand hang him by the ankles from a suitable tree for the pinata like amusement of the locals.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Matt...

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Not to pick nits, but you were not robbed, you were burglarized...
    Matt
    You need to read the "Catching a Thief...What to Do?" thread...
    Look under CCW Tactical Scenarios.

This has been discussed in detail...several ideas...

Thanks,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just read your thread for the first time. Sorry to hear about your burglary. That stinks, especially if you regularly lock your vehicle and this was one of the few occasions that it wasn't locked. I'm an on call firefighter and got a call in the middle of the night. Got back home after the call and was so tired I forgot to lock my truck. Went to bed for about three hours before I had to get up for work and sure enough my truck was burglarized. It's that one time you forget!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links