Changed my AR back to stock

This is a discussion on Changed my AR back to stock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just thought I'd post my recent urge to change my AR15 back to it's original stock configuration. Gone are the aluminum quad rails, forward grip, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Changed my AR back to stock

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Just thought I'd post my recent urge to change my AR15 back to it's original stock configuration. Gone are the aluminum quad rails, forward grip, surefire flashlight, stock cheek saddle, red dot and rear backup sight. I just put the carry handle and plastic hand guards back on. Holy crap I forgot how light this sucker is without all the other stuff. I believe I'll be keeping it like this.

You monster!! :P

Finally! Someone sees the light!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Nothing at all wrong with that.

RKM
    If it's used for defensive purpose, I would at the very least, put the light back on. Otherwise, everything else are just luxuries.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Now all I need to do is trade someone my magpul trigger guard and pistol grip for original stock.

You are going about this the wrong way. The more proper method would be to simply buy ANOTHER stock Ar-15! That way you have the best of both worlds silly :P

K.I.S.S. is good.

Best AR I have ever handled was an earlier, original SBR ArmaLite. Simple, functional, uber-light, everything necessary and nothing else. Hard to beat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Aww, not even a picatinny bottle opener? Oh, the humanity (and lack of a beer access tool). :)
    Cdknox likes this.

I built 2 AR's that I followed the tacticool crowd on. They had the quad rails, backup sights, and other junk. I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't need all that junk and extra weight. I stripped them both down, put on a front sight post, MOE hand guards, one short MOE rail section for a light / sling mount and called it a day. The rifles are 2 to 3 pounds lighter and I have a decent forearm to hold onto without the rail cuts digging into everything.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Agreed.

Learn to shoot the iron sights and you'll never need batteries again either. Too much reliance on technology gets you in trouble. I never got used to the foreword grip and much prefer shooting it like a rifle.
    StormRhydr and Hodad like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Now you have a rifle suited for battle, rather than the ray-gun you used to have. Good on you!

I've been shooting a Rhino lately. It's a true 1/2 MOA nail driver (confirmed by yours truly from a bench rest). I have a Trijicon ACOG with a reflex on it. I've got the rails suited in grippy, 2 piece covers. You can just pull half the lower one off and snap on a light if needed. I have flip-up sights that are great and I like very much, but since the thing shoots so straight I really felt it was an injustice not to scope it.

I've really been impressed with it. It can outshoot me. If my idiot friend actually sets up the TX hog hunt we've been talking about forever, like he's supposed to, this is what I'm going to bring as my primary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Atta-boy, OP. Stand up and be a man! Now you've got a real gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Im the guy on the Tactical Response forum who urges people to get a good bolt action .22, and learn to become a marksman. Heck, I qualified on an M16-A1 with iron sights. I dont like quad rails either, but do like more mounting options than a Nam era M-16.

HOWEVER, depending on your ARs intended purpose, Id recommend the light, and an aimpoint, which also means probably taking your handle off, and putting your buis, back on, etc.
    Jaeger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I built 2 AR's that I followed the tacticool crowd on. They had the quad rails, backup sights, and other junk. I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't need all that junk and extra weight. I stripped them both down, put on a front sight post, MOE hand guards, one short MOE rail section for a light / sling mount and called it a day. The rifles are 2 to 3 pounds lighter and I have a decent forearm to hold onto without the rail cuts digging into everything.
    Exactly why I dont like quad rails. Lots of people wear gloves with them, but if SHTF, you probably aint gonna have your gloves, but almost certainly will have cut up hands. I like the MOE option as well. Cheaper, lighter, and easier on the hands.
    Jaeger likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links