Took The Wife Shooting For The First Time

This is a discussion on Took The Wife Shooting For The First Time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife had been showing interest in my weapons lately and saying she wanted to shoot one to see what it's like. And much to ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Hatrix

Thread: Took The Wife Shooting For The First Time

My wife had been showing interest in my weapons lately and saying she wanted to shoot one to see what it's like. And much to my joy, a new indoor range opened just this month that is only a 5 minute drive from home. So after work today I told the wife we were going shooting. Grabbed my virgin M&P40 and a box of ammo I had waiting for such an occasion and off we went.

Knew there was no way she would like firing the .40, so we rented her a Walther P22 at the range and grabbed 100 rounds of .22LR. It was of course our first time at the new range, so they made us watch a 10 minute long Safety video then let us go into the firing line. Ever since she started showing interest in my guns, I have been showing her proper safety and handling, how to grip the pistol, sight alignment etc, and took a few moments there to go over everything I've already taught her. I then showed her how to fill a magazine, put it in the pistol and charge it, and she was ready to fire her first shots. She was nervous as all heck! LOL.

She fired her first shot and hit the target perfectly center of mass but was a bit startled by the gun's recoil. Her next shots though aiming center mass were left of center quite a bit in the shoulder and arm of the target. I told her to stop anticipating the recoil, that the gun was going to go BOOM regardless and there's no changing that, just tighten her grip, hold her arms nice and firm in front of her and to slowly exhale as she squeezes the trigger and she'll do just fine. So she tried doing as I said and was hitting the target dead center repeatedly. Although I did catch her flinching from time to time still anticipating the recoil. But her shot placement was much better this time around. By the time she was into rounds 70 and up you would have thought she was a more experienced shooter. All in all, minus the first magazine she ran, she managed to put all rounds in the same 7in grouping. Everyone at the range was impressed with her shooting, and I was very proud.

After she was done shooting I loaded up the M&P40 and ran a few rounds through it for the first time. I then offered the wife the chance to shoot it. She took the weapon, got a good firm grip, extended her arms took aim and pulled the trigger. Gun fired, muzzle raised a good 4-5in, her eyes got real big and she promptly laid it on the table in front of her and walked away nervously laughing. LOL.

She's hooked though. Already wants her own .22. I'm thinking maybe a few more range trips are in order for her first to see how she can eventually handle a 9mm and we'll decide on a first weapon for her after that. But I couldn't be more pleased that she had a great time at the range this evening.

Gotta love a wonderful person's first glimpse into a wider world. Children have that look of amazement and fascination, attention to detail, and often dead-nuts skill and competency once they get the hang of things. Your partner definitely seems to have it. She's obviously gut-hooked. Bummer, on that, given how expensive your monthly ammo bill is likely to get ... at least for awhile.

Congratulations on the new "shooter."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If the range has a good selection of rentals let her move up in caliber and type of gun until she has picked her favorite.

If she is happy with it she will work with it to improve her shooting and it will be a joy to behold.

You well both have a new common interest and could with time become a very effective team for defense.

Quick story: Wife and I were at the range some time ago and I was shooting in a new BUG a Kel Tec P3AT which I was not very happy with as a range gun. She took it and ran a box of ammo through it, and looked at me and said "mine". She packs that thing and shoots it very well for a mouse gun. She wanted a CT laser on it for night use and this turned the little mouse gun into a very potent very small package she carries everywhere in a belly band.

Point don't try to over control let her find her way!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Quick story: Wife and I were at the range some time ago and I was shooting in a new BUG a Kel Tec P3AT which I was not very happy with as a range gun. She took it and ran a box of ammo through it, and looked at me and said "mine".
    She's a braver man than I, that one. Dang ... shot an entire box of 50rds through a P3AT and came up smilin'? Impressive. Hands of steel, at minimum.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    When we were still single my future wife showed great interest in shooting, and even bought a youth model 20 ga at a duck dinner. She wasn't half bad at the skeet range either, and actually went on a goose hunt. It was all a trick! It was an elaborate ruse. Which I fell for...

She'll shoot my .22s on occasion, but really doesn't have any interest. That's ok, because she doesn't try to get me to go to yoga!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    She's a braver man than I, that one. Dang ... shot an entire box of 50rds through a P3AT and came up smilin'? Impressive. Hands of steel, at minimum.
    She wares gloves and will still shoot a 1/2 box through it at a session. She says that if her adrenalin is pumping she want need the gloves and will not even notice the discomfort of shooting. Price and availability of ammo has slowed us down but we go shooting as a couple and enjoy it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Im soon to take my wife through a fighting pistol course. 1,000 rounds in 2 days. I waited till she asked to take it, and I couldnt be happier.

As re your wife wanting a .22 pistol, many of us have taken to .22s for practice instead of 9mms. I can personally recommend the M&P22, and tell you to run like hell from the Sig Mosqueto. Another option, that would be a good one, if you can find it, is a Glock 19, (9mm), and an advantage arms .22 conversion kit.

She would then have a good carry gun, but also afford to shoot it in .22 converted.

When I took my wife to the range I started her on a .22 then put my full size mp9 in her hands. She was scared at first because of how big it looked especially sitting next to my airweight .38 ...after firing the mp it's her favorite and she shot well. I think it's cool she has an interest in firearms. Oh yeah, after shooting my AR 15 she wants one too....she's got her eye on the talo mp15-22 dipped in pink camo...

VIP Member
    Congratulations on getting your wife to the range.

Regarding recoil and wives, here is a picture of my wife (not a diehard shooter) but a good sport about trying something new. She is shooting, for her first time, a S&W .460 at a can of water.

Admittedly she tends to limp wrist, I watched my son shoot the same gun and his muzzle rise was only about 3-4 inches.

After my wife's shot, she was grinning, eyes big as saucers, and had a coughing spell for some reason. She'd do it again and has never seemed bothered by recoil. She CC's a S&W 642 and loves it.

Maybe I ought to teach her to ride and rope......nah, that ain't happening.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Similar experience with my wife. Brought her to the range earlier this years, since then she now has her own SR22, got her CCW and picked up a Sig for her carry gun. Now date night can be range and dinner.

Good for you both. I highly recommend she take some training with a professional instructor. No matter how good you are, it's better to get some instruction from an "outsider".

My wife and I have gone through the 4-day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight twice. In addition to basic marksmanship, it covers presenting from the holster (both open and concealed), timed shots, emergency and tactical reloads, clearing three types of firearm malfunctions, clearing doors and hallways, clearing a house, lots and lots of practice and more. Excellent instructors and excellent facilities. There are also some great lectures on awareness, use of lethal force and other topics. She has become very confident and competent in handling a gun. I'm sure you can find similar training near you - unless you want a good excuse to go to Las Vegas.

My wife is 5', 100 pounds and has no problem shooting a .45 1911. I hate to admit it - but also proud of her - she is a better shot than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    After she was done shooting I loaded up the M&P40 and ran a few rounds through it for the first time. I then offered the wife the chance to shoot it. She took the weapon, got a good firm grip, extended her arms took aim and pulled the trigger. Gun fired, muzzle raised a good 4-5in, her eyes got real big and she promptly laid it on the table in front of her and walked away nervously laughing. LOL.
    That was pretty much my reaction the first time I fired a .40 (and I'm a guy! ). You never know...she could convert. That first shot from the .40 startled the crap out of me ... and now I own two of them!
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Great to hear that your wife likes to shoot! Well Done!

Posted using Tapatalk.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Sponsored Links