Amazon: pro-gun, eBay: not so much

This is a discussion on Amazon: pro-gun, eBay: not so much within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've tried buying (and in the case of eBay, selling too) on both sites and it's very obvious Amazon is pretty pro-gun or at least ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Amazon: pro-gun, eBay: not so much

Amazon: pro-gun, eBay: not so much

I've tried buying (and in the case of eBay, selling too) on both sites and it's very obvious Amazon is pretty pro-gun or at least not stupidly restrictive while eBay is anything but.

Try finding AR-15 related on Amazon and you'll get a really nice list goodies. If they had a FFL license I swear, Amazon would sell guns too!

Try doing the same on eBay (or try selling anything with "AR-15" in your content) and you'll get zip. Or in the case of a seller, get a stern warning and your post removed. They removed a post for a magazine exceeding 10 rounds that I tried to sell too. Seriously??

Just things to consider when you decide to buy from one site or the other. Amazon win. eBay fail.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just FYI that ebay really has no choice unless they move their main offices out of California.

They were taken to court by the State and the ruling was that since ebay was home based in CA. all ebay auctions must abide by CA State rules, laws, restrictions, etc. since all auction transactions are conducted through ebay in California even though (Example) the Seller may reside in Mississippi and the Buyer in Pennsylvania.

The whole court thing started (way back when) a couple of sellers on ebay (ignorant of gun laws) listed handguns for sale on ebay and shipped them VIA the post office directly to buyers home addresses bypassing FFL and postal regulations.

But, regardless...whatever is not legal now in CA cannot be listed and sold on ebay. That is just the way it is.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Not allowing the words AR-15 to be used and removing any listing with that acronym in it can't be California law. California allows the sale of AR-15's (neutered 10 round ones)

Is this an example of not so much?

You can't mention assault weapon to describe any part or accessory or compatibility.
    I saw somewhere before that someone had listed a rock and called it a caveman assault weapon, got bids on the rock; auction was cancelled because of the word.
    Firearms, weapons, and knives policy
    Firearms, weapons, and knives policy

Oh please don't nobody post "their business their rules" .... we know, we get it, don't have to like it, saying is wore out.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Between their firearms policy and they way they push their wretched PayPal, Ebay went lame long ago.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have never dealt with Ebay, but I live on Amazon.
    84160 and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Not allowing the words AR-15 to be used and removing any listing with that acronym in it can't be California law. California allows the sale of AR-15's (neutered 10 round ones)
    I think it's more a matter of "Not worth the effort or potential liability".
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think it's more a matter of "Not worth the effort or potential liability".
    Seeing the words AR-15 makes a person want to commit a crime??

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Seeing the words AR-15 makes a person want to commit a crime??
    No, seeing AR-15 makes CA lawyers want to prosecute you for a crime.

Administrator
    I am not justifying their actions but, they made a business decision on the AR-15 thing after one of those goofball crazy shooters stated that he bought his magazines on ebay.
    So I guess since their firearm related sales are a fairly small percentage of their total auction sales they elected to do that.
    But, to their credit (because I am sure that they get a ton of heat from CA people) they still allow gun parts, accessories, mags below 10 rounds, optics etc.

Of course my advice would be not to shop there if it is a personal issue with anybody.

I mostly just think of it as buying from a person in New Mexico or Texas or Indiana and I really don't give the fact that it's ebay much thought.

Lately I have been shopping more on AMAZON and (in fact) just bought a Grand Trunk Sleeter Beeter Pro hammock on AMAZON.

I have not tried it out yet though.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

There is a link on SAF's website that takes you to Amazon. If you shop at Amazon using this link, part of the proceeds of the sales goes to SAF. Seems like a win/win to me.

I'd hardly call Amazon pro-gun.... their owner is very much a liberal and donates a lot to liberal causes. He just realizes that the more they sell, the more they make, unlike ebay who will gladly spite themselves for no gain.
    rogertc1 likes this.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    left or right it should not matter,a dollar is a dollar...

Ordered a number of gun related items from Amazon, Uplula loaders, holsters, Pierce grip extensions, tactical lights, etc.

I don't really care what the personal opinions are of the principals of Amazon. The point is they do offer gun related items for sale, and as I said earlier, they have an agreement with the Second Amendment Foundation to give them part of the proceeds of any items bought using a link on SAF's website. So, I can buy what I want to buy, and part of my money is going to a gun rights group, regardless of how Amazon feels about it, although I can't imagine they would have made the agreement with SAF if they were all that anti gun.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; June 25th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links