Gun Radar To Make CC Obsolete?

This is a discussion on Gun Radar To Make CC Obsolete? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apparently one of our illustrious professors here at the nearby University of Michigan has created a gun detecting radar technology that would allow responsible government ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Gun Radar To Make CC Obsolete?

Apparently one of our illustrious professors here at the nearby University of Michigan has created a gun detecting radar technology that would allow responsible government authorities to identify gun toting criminals - and you and I. How do you feel about this? Is it an invasion of privacy? Or do you regard it as a new tool for our benign Government to wield on our behalf?

Personally I hate it. No one needs to know about me or my concealed weapon as I go about by daily routine. Why should I have to stop and present my credentials because "the machine" has identified me as someone who may be carrying a weapon? This is just another waste of time and money built on the premise that the end justifies the means. I repeat: What do you think?

This Gun Radar Could Make Concealed Carry Obsolete | Motherboard
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

There is no such thing as a benign government. Government is only malignant, cancerous, and morally repugnant.

I think it shows how much Govt , etc is afraid of it's own citizenry, and wants to "control them".

Unless there is a 'specific' need to know, that can be explained and justified "to us" , then it isn't and shouldn't be used. My .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think it shows how much Govt , etc is afraid of it's own citizenry, and wants to "control them".

Unless there is a 'specific' need to know, that can be explained and justified "to us" , then it isn't and shouldn't be used. My .02 cents.
    Wouldnt this be better than what we have now in our airports? Everyone is searched, xrayed, or body scanned. This would allow them to focus on certian people without profiling. I do understand your point that if this is used in public places its an invasion of my privacy. But for gun free areas, the airport, courthouse, etc I see it as a move forward. DR

VIP Member
    I don't like it. It's a slippery slope. Use it in "gun-free zones" and find it "effective" and then think where else can we, the government, use it to see if people are carrying firearms. It's typical liberal logic that "forgets" the slippery slope and says, "We won't use it in any other way." Bogus.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

For open ares no, but for places like courts and planes yes.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Now I really need a Glock 7!
    OD* likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

mkh
    It's no different than our guns, it's just a tool.

The real issue (like with guns) is how it might be used and what nefarious purposes those that wield it may have for it.

I get the feeling that the inventor was really trying to solve a problem. The slippery slope comes when our government gets its hands on it.

If i man approaches me and asks me for my cc permit/id because ive been identified as carrying a weapon with his technology, im going to sue him for iradiating my body without my permission. POSTED:NOW ENTERING A GUN FREE ZONE, You will be scanned indiscriminately and intimatly until you leave this GUN FREE ZONE... O the world we live in.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Seems like someone used a buttload of grant money to come up with a high priced metal detector. Sounded like it just detects metal and the operator/programmer gets to take a swag at what the metal object is.
    Nmuskier likes this.

" The person is carrying something and can be pulled aside to figure out what they are carrying". Sorry sounds like conjecture and they might have something of interest so lets search and seize.
    "The key to freedom is the ability to defend yourself"

"Terahertz radiation can penetrate fabrics and plastics, so it can be used in surveillance, such as security screening, to uncover concealed weapons on a person, remotely. This is of particular interest because many materials of interest have unique spectral "fingerprints" in the terahertz range. This offers the possibility to combine spectral identification with imaging. Passive detection of terahertz signatures avoid the bodily privacy concerns of other detection by being targeted to a very specific range of materials and objects.[12][13] In January 2013, the NYPD announced plans to experiment with the newfound technology to detect concealed weapons,[14] prompting Miami blogger and privacy activist Jonathan Corbett to file a lawsuit against the department in Manhattan federal court that same month, challenging such use: "For thousands of years, humans have used clothing to protect their modesty and have quite reasonably held the expectation of privacy for anything inside of their clothing, since no human is able to see through them." He seeks a court order to prohibit using the technology without reasonable suspicion or probable cause.[15]"

Terahertz radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lawsuit has already been filed for ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE since this is a search of your person. I wonder how that will work against TSA?
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post

Apparently one of our illustrious professors here at the nearby University of Michigan has created a gun detecting radar technology that would allow responsible government authorities to identify gun toting criminals
    The element of surprise in a defensive situation won't ever become obsolete, nicely, no matter what whiz-bang doohickey the government comes up with.

As for the phrase "responsible government authorities," I'd say "morally repugnant" is about as good a term as I can think of. Presuming only morally upstanding and responsible use of such tools (in gov't hirelings' hands) would be the order of the day is about as naive as assuming a badge always equates to wanting to help.

An illustrious professor in Atlas Shrugged came up with the sound waves tools in Project X. Its mere existence allowed for its misuse. I see this sort of tool as a guaranteed infringement of the 4A, in no uncertain terms, as such broad-swath scanning of what's underneath people's clothing and in their bags as they're simply walking along goes against every moral and legal precept we have on the matter. Can't see how putting any such thing into place (outside of fixed-position scanning sieves, a la airport screening) could be constitutional. Of course, SCOTUS and others will assuredly explain all that away, given the utility to gov't hirelings.
    NONAME762 and liquid150 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The element of surprise in a defensive situation won't ever become obsolete, nicely, no matter what whiz-bang doohickey the government comes up with.
    Not just the element of surprise, but also the natural human right of self protection. If there is ever a day in the future where the right of self protection is obsolete, please dig me from my grave and resurrect me. For surely human society and the earth's ecology will have evolved to such a point wherein there is literally zero danger of being a victim of a crime or attacked by an animal. This would truly be utopia, and I would want to see what it looks like.

Of course, we all know that will never happen. It is statistically impossible thanks to genetic variation and chaos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links