I think my wife "woke up" this week!

This is a discussion on I think my wife "woke up" this week! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I were married a little over 8 years ago. At the time she was not comfortable with firearms in the house. She ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: I think my wife "woke up" this week!

I think my wife "woke up" this week!

My wife and I were married a little over 8 years ago. At the time she was not comfortable with firearms in the house. She wasn't anti-gun per se, but she had zero experience with them so they made her nervous. I essentially told her "Well, it's happening so deal with it", in much nicer terms of course.

Over the years she has become more comfortable with firearms, even to the point where she has fired all of mine (including a 12 gage shotgun and 8mm Mausers) and has stated she actually feels safer with them in the house. Despite all of that, though, she's always maintained that they were my thing and she was more or less humoring me.

Well, last Friday she said, "Let's do it. Let's go get me a gun." We made it official on Monday by purchasing her a Bersa Thunder .380!

Then, yesterday, one of her nosy aunts made a passive aggressive comment on Facebook (I know, Facebook sucks) about how young couples should think about the safety of their children when considering having guns in the house yada-yada-yada. Well, that started an interesting and civil gun debate right there on Facebook including several anti's and just a couple pro-gunners. My wife was one of the 2A defenders and held her own! A couple of the anti's were even asking probing questions looking for knowledge. One of them is a guy from our church and I invited him to go shooting with me sometime. Sounds like he's interested! Even today she has already posted an article about 9-1-1 response times and how you can't rely on the police. I think I'm going to cry.

Anywho, she still has a ways to go as far as her safety training, operation of a firearm, range time, etc., but I'm going to coach her up the best I can (prior USAF Security Forces) until we can get into some professional training.

Needless to say I'm one proud hubby!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That's an awesome feeling when your spouse "comes around" and even starts making it their thing rather than something they tolerate for your sake.

Congrats and keep up the good work! Sounds like she's on the right track.
    kalashniROB, WHEC724 and DJC7 like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    My wife and I were married a little over 8 years ago. At the time she was not comfortable with firearms in the house. She wasn't anti-gun per se, but she had zero experience with them so they made her nervous. I essentially told her "Well, it's happening so deal with it", in much nicer terms of course.

Over the years she has become more comfortable with firearms, even to the point where she has fired all of mine (including a 12 gage shotgun and 8mm Mausers) and has stated she actually feels safer with them in the house. Despite all of that, though, she's always maintained that they were my thing and she was more or less humoring me.

Well, last Friday she said, "Let's do it. Let's go get me a gun." We made it official on Monday by purchasing her a Bersa Thunder .380!

Then, yesterday, one of her nosy aunts made a passive aggressive comment on Facebook (I know, Facebook sucks) about how young couples should think about the safety of their children when considering having guns in the house yada-yada-yada. Well, that started an interesting and civil gun debate right there on Facebook including several anti's and just a couple pro-gunners. My wife was one of the 2A defenders and held her own! A couple of the anti's were even asking probing questions looking for knowledge. One of them is a guy from our church and I invited him to go shooting with me sometime. Sounds like he's interested! Even today she has already posted an article about 9-1-1 response times and how you can't rely on the police. I think I'm going to cry.

Anywho, she still has a ways to go as far as her safety training, operation of a firearm, range time, etc., but I'm going to coach her up the best I can (prior USAF Security Forces) until we can get into some professional training.

Needless to say I'm one proud hubby!
    I'm going on 25 years of marriage this year, but find myself in a similar circumstance. My kids are older and my pistols are locked up at home when not with me, so safety isn't as big an issue with the kids. My wife takes a similar "it's your thing" position. She is okay with me owning guns, shooting guns, and keeping guns in the house but has no interest in owning one or firing one. She works at a church school which would prevent her from carrying at work on two counts, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't have the option, IMO.

I'm hoping as time goes by she'll decide for herself that she wants a gun.
    DJC7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebucketeer View Post
    I'm going on 25 years of marriage this year, but find myself in a similar circumstance. My kids are older and my pistols are locked up at home when not with me, so safety isn't as big an issue with the kids. My wife takes a similar "it's your thing" position. She is okay with me owning guns, shooting guns, and keeping guns in the house but has no interest in owning one or firing one. She works at a church school which would prevent her from carrying at work on two counts, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't have the option, IMO.

I'm hoping as time goes by she'll decide for herself that she wants a gun.
    8 years has been extremely frustrating at times so kudos to you for 25 years! Here's hoping your wife eventually comes around as well!
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

... how young couples should think about the safety of their children when considering having guns in the house ... 9-1-1 response times and how you can't rely on the police ...
    That's pretty much what it comes down to: surviving until the cavalry can arrive. But, first one has to survive. Hard to get around that one. And it's really hard to do if unprepared, incapable and lacking in all means of doing so. Hence, arms, training, planning, and more training.

Glad to see your S.O. is now onboard with the family protection planning. It'll make many aspects far simpler. Time to get thee off to a decent "couples" type training session, where you can both flex your tag-team approach to your security. Enjoy the new Bersa .380.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Congrats on her coming around. Its a good feeling....
    DJC7 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Congrats! Been married 4 years now, & still working on getting my wife to go shooting.

When we started dating, she was completely against firearms. I chalked it up to lack of knowledge/experience, since her family has zero shooters.

Eventually, my hunting rifles were given approval (they were here, she just didn't like it lol), as long as they're safely secured... A no-brainer
    We've gotten to the point now where she helped me pick out a night stand safe for my pistol. She understands and appreciates the safety that comes with it, but is still hesitant... I clean my firearms in my "man cave" just to avoid stressing her out haha.

I always invite her to the range. I figure my 10/22 and some fun targets would be a good step.. Hopefully one day she'll accept the offer!
    84160, Phaedrus and DJC7 like this.

VIP Member
    That's awesome...just like a marriage is supposed to work. Don't force yourself or ideals, be yourself, model a good example, serve one another and communicate often, and then jump on the opportunity when they see the light! I love to hear the part about civil discourse/debate/discussion about 2nd Amendment (and other) issues. The exchanging of ideas and sharing of truth is a noble cause!
    locotest and DJC7 like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

My wife was never really against guns in the house or the fact that I carry. But she said she was not comfortable with carrying one. Well after a few things have happened in our life, she has in the last year purchased her own guns and now carries. For some reason, even gun nut dads don't pass down the knowledge of guns to their daughters. Even if they have both sons and daughters, they leave their daughter at home while he will take his son shooting. I think more and more dads are taking their daughters shooting these days. But prior to late 90s or so, I don't think dads took their daughters shooting or brought them up teaching them about guns. It was always a man's thing.

As a father to two daughters, I take them out to the woods and the range as much as I can. I want them to go shooting/hunting and clean a deer in the day and wear their princess dress in the evening.
    Phaedrus, 84160 and DJC7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TelumPisces View Post
    My wife was never really against guns in the house or the fact that I carry. But she said she was not comfortable with carrying one. Well after a few things have happened in our life, she has in the last year purchased her own guns and now carries. For some reason, even gun nut dads don't pass down the knowledge of guns to their daughters. Even if they have both sons and daughters, they leave their daughter at home while he will take his son shooting. I think more and more dads are taking their daughters shooting these days. But prior to late 90s or so, I don't think dads took their daughters shooting or brought them up teaching them about guns. It was always a man's thing.

As a father to two daughters, I take them out to the woods and the range as much as I can. I want them to go shooting/hunting and clean a deer in the day and wear their princess dress in the evening.
    We have a three year old daughter who I've shown my pistol to a couple times. She'll see it and ask "What dat, Daddy?" Boys don't run in the family nearly as much as girls so I'm prepared to have only girls. Might as well train them up to be range buddies. lol Plus, if my daughter likes gun that will hopefully mean she seeks out a hubby who likes guns and that's a bonus!
    84160 likes this.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

~Breda

She watch the NJ invasion video? I'm sure that right there would convert a lot of people who are on the fence.
    DJC7 likes this.

VIP Member
    We have a three year old daughter who I've shown my pistol to a couple times. She'll see it and ask "What dat, Daddy?" Boys don't run in the family nearly as much as girls so I'm prepared to have only girls. Might as well train them up to be range buddies. lol Plus, if my daughter likes gun that will hopefully mean she seeks out a hubby who likes guns and that's a bonus!
    I just bought my baby girl a pink .22lr rifle. She is turning 6 on Friday and she asked about getting a pink gun. Yay!
    Last edited by atctimmy; June 26th, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
    DJC7 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Good job. Yeah, my daughters always want to watch me clean the guns etc... Mine are only 7 and 3. But it has to start young. They will shy away from it when they get to be teenagers probably to chase boys etc... Just have to hope that the foundation sticks and they go after gun friendly boys. My only hope to have interaction with a boy is the boy they bring home. So they better be good ones.
    DJC7 likes this.

Mine too!

My wife went from "I don't want one in this house" to getting her CHL in about six months, post presidential election. We only discussed facts about our surroundings, and the attacks on the 2A. Simple. Us or them.
    84160 and DJC7 like this.

Mine finally came around. It gets pricey she went from having one of mine out when I worked nights to now having four of her own(She is nice enough to let me clean them.)
    locotest, DJC7, fredg53 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links