Beretta PX4 Storm Inox vs. FNX-9 Stainless

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 Storm Inox vs. FNX-9 Stainless within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Currently trying to decide between these two guns. I haven't seen either in person (at least not in the Inox/Stainless editions) nor shot them either. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By giz5792
  • 1 Post By kb2wji

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm Inox vs. FNX-9 Stainless

Currently trying to decide between these two guns. I haven't seen either in person (at least not in the Inox/Stainless editions) nor shot them either. Just doing a little research and going by pictures...

I feel like the PX4 Storm looks better but the FNX-9 would shoot better.

I can get them both at the same price (give or take $20) so I don't see a huge difference there. Any thoughts?

Owned a PX4 in 40 S&W and it was an accurate little gun. A gun shop here has both guns, blue versions, in stock when I was shopping. Handled both and the PX4 feels better in the hand, I just thought the FNX had too aggressive of a checkering for my taste. Then I saw an M&P, took a look and held it, fell in love and the rest was history. You'll have to find a GS that has both and go try them, who knows, you might not like the way the fit you. Good luck.
    Cheesewiz likes this.

As my name would suggest... I'm leaning towards the PX4. I want to stick with 9mm for now, so I'd get it chambered in that. I am not a fan of the FNX checkering either. I don't care about carrying cocked and locked, not my cup of tea (used to the M9 in DA with safety).

My brother has the M&P, I really do like it a lot as well. Ironically... I'm a terrible shot with it for some reason. But for some reason I have an itch for an FN too. Either way I'm going with the stainless/inox look though, that's for sure!

Just looking for something smaller to conceal easier. But I don't want to go too compact like the G26 or even the Nano.

The stainless look is awesome and you can't go wrong with Beretta, wish I would have kept mine. They are a nice shooting gun.

I have the PX4 subcompact 9mm and it is a solid, accurate shooter. I like the decocker and being able to chamber a round with the firing pin and trigger completely disengaged. Feels good, shoots great. Very reliable.
    "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king."

Did you look/handle the full and compact sizes before going with the subcompact or were you set on it from the beginning? I'm looking at the Compact or Full.. not sure (I want the Inox though.. and I don't think it's offered in the Compact size). I think the subcompact might be a little too small for me but just wondering what you looked at before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    Did you look/handle the full and compact sizes before going with the subcompact or were you set on it from the beginning? I'm looking at the Compact or Full.. not sure (I want the Inox though.. and I don't think it's offered in the Compact size). I think the subcompact might be a little too small for me but just wondering what you looked at before deciding.
    If you want to use a PX4 for CC and the subcompact is too small for you...I suggest the compact version. I have a full sized and it's just too big for CC IMO. I wish I would have gotten the compact version of my .40

I think a lot of the looks and features are somewhat lost on the subcompact design (no rotating barrel, different look entirely, etc). The full size seems to be similar sized to my brother's M&P which is not a bad size at all... of course I'm coming from a M9...

The only issue is the compact doesn't come in a stainless two-tone look that I really like on the full size. It's not a dealbreaker but... I do wish otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    I feel like the PX4 Storm looks better but the FNX-9 would shoot better.
    I wonder how you came to feel that the FNX-9 would shoot better. I can't really make a comparison since I know nothing of the FNX but I do have a PX4 Storm and can recommend it as a very reliable soft easy shooter and more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it. Can't imagine you'd do better with the FNX. I could be wrong of course.

I vote for the FNX. I've never shot the PX, but I've fondled it. I've shot my FNX plenty.

The checkering on the FNX is excellent. There is no better feeling double stack pistol. I guess everyone is different, but for me, the FN has absolutely perfect ergonomics. I would love it if all double stack pistols felt this good. The Beretta didn't impress me. It might shoot like a champ, but to me it feels too chunky. The controls are not as ergonomic as the FN. Wish I had experience shooting the Beretta, but the FN was just a total home run for me. I can hit an 8" head plate at 50 yards with my FN about one in 5 shots...standing, without a rest. It's an accurate little sucker. Far more accurate than I am, that's for sure. The ambidextrous controls on the FN are also perfect. Independence day is coming up. People are bound to lose a few fingers It's nice having equal controls on both sides of a pistol. Either way, they are both fine pistols, but my vote is FN.
    wmhawth likes this.

I carry a Px4 compact (like in my avatar) in 9mm and I love it. I shot my carry ammo through both the beretta and my Glock 17 gen 3 at the same shoot n' see target at 15 yards and it looked like all 10 shots came from 1 gun. Very accurate pistol for its size.

This is just my personal preference but I'd almost rather throw rocks than carry a gun with a slide mounted safety. Go with the FN. Unless you like that particular thing...
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Woo! Glad to see some representing the FN! I always like when I feel like both choices are equally good!

Fortunately I'll get the chance to handle the FNX-9 Stainless tomorrow and if I like it I'll end up keeping it. Otherwise I'll have to check out the PX4 Storm Inox. Either one at $500 out the door is a pretty sweet deal, I can't pass it up!

EDIT: For those curious, I ended up with the PX4 Storm Compact (blued) chambered in .40 S&W. I shot the M+P Shield as my first .40 S&W to see what a small gun in that caliber would feel like. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting and the PX4 is far more mild (and holds 12+1)!

Really like the look and feel of the PX4, and that rotating barrel is pretty neat. The best part... I can shoot it as good as my 92. Seems I'm no good with M+Ps but just fine with Berettas.
    Last edited by ItalianSteel; June 28th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

I bought a FNX-9 over a year ago. It's my first handgun purchased at the advice of the gun instructor of the armory where i am a member. Sadly, in the last 3-months, virtually everytime i've used it at the range the gun has jammed. I am a novice so I asked the guy who sold me on the gun [who is ex-marine] to try it. It jammed twice on him. He thought maybe the magazine's new spring is forcing bullets in too fast and suggested I go home and fill the mag to the max, hopefully loosening the spring. I did that but have not gone back to the range as yet. Also called FN USA. The guy who i spoke with told me maybe it was the bullets I used, inferring some brands might jam the gun. He suggested i experiment with different brands. He got quite testy when i said I bought a $650.00 gun and it did not give me much peace of mind to think some bullets might render the gun unpredictable. He then responded, "Well mail it back then, what else can i tell you?" So, because i own a handgun and feel so uncertain about it, i am looking to maybe sell it to a nearby dealer and then buy the Beretta Storm, which the one rep said he has owned for a few years and it has never jammed on him. Hope this helps in your decision.

Links