TruGlo TFO Sights?

This is a discussion on TruGlo TFO Sights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a couple trips to the range with my new M&P40 the paint fell out of the front sight. Apparently this is a common problem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TruGlo TFO Sights?

TruGlo TFO Sights?

After a couple trips to the range with my new M&P40 the paint fell out of the front sight. Apparently this is a common problem that S&W is well aware of. I called them and they're sending me a new front sight free of charge. But since I have to go to the trouble of having it replaced, I'm considering going with a set of aftermarket sights.

I'm really liking the overall appearance of the TruGlo TFO's. I've been researching them for a couple days now, and I came across a forum post(don't recall if it was here or another forum) that the poster claimed his TFO's trinium vials and fiber optics were effectively dead due to cleaning solvents or gun oils getting on them. At least that's the explanation TruGlo offered him when he called their Customer Service.

Does anyone here use the TFO's? Any issues with them dying unexpectedly? Also would you recommend them for a carry weapon? I've heard fiber optic sights can be kind of delicate.

2. Remove Ads

I am curious as well. The TFO's seem really bright for a good price ..

TFOs Are awesome

I have them on my Shield 40

M&Ps are great weapons...... In all ways,....... EXCEPT for that stupid white dot falling out of the front sight

I have two..... Both pistols lost the dot.....

I cant fricken believe that such a fine pistol continues to have this problem
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I had a set of them on my old Springfield Armory XD45 compact. They were great, especially under a bright sky for an IDPA match. Those sights just POPPED! The visibility at night and in low light is excellent, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    I had TFOs on my XD subcompact and I have nothing really bad to say about them. They do a good job in well lit and low light conditions, when either the fiber optic part or the tritium is in full effect. The one condition I didn't care for them so much was when the lighting was somewhere in between. When neither lighting condition was having an impact on the sights, the dots are rather dull and (for me anyway) getting a quick acquisition on the front sight was harder to accomplish. It's not terrible or anything, but I personally think if they painted a white or orange ring around the front sight, that problem would be eliminated.

I have heard about folks breaking the tritium vials but it never happened to me in all the time I carried that pistol and while I don't intentionally abuse my carry gun, I don't baby it either. It's a working tool and I treat it as such.

FWIW, when I purchased night sights for my current EDC, I went with Ameriglo Pro Operators and so far I've been very impressed. Front sight acquisition is very quick, day or night, and the wider rear notch really works well for me. Not sure if they make the Pro Operators for S&W though.

AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Pro Operator
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, I checked out that site. I think when I send my new Sig P227 45 back to the factory for it's custom shop trigger package upgrade I'm also ogoing to have them stick a set of Sig-Lite night sights on as well. Just for the sake of purity and that Sig warranty.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Cool

I was wondering about the FO sights as well. I have a S&W9c and a Shield that I love equally for different situations. In the 9c, I added a jeweled stone to the factory front sight but it's only a matter before it falls out too. I am not interested in a Trace type of sight. I also wondered if there were any rules against mods when shooting IDPA. I'm interested in getting into that kind of competition but don't know enough about the equipment rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Does anyone here use the TFO's? Any issues with them dying unexpectedly? Also would you recommend them for a carry weapon? I've heard fiber optic sights can be kind of delicate.
    They don't die unexpectedly per se. What usually happens is over time (depending on how much you shoot) the front FO gets dirty and thus loses it's ability to shine bright like it could when new. So then, the backs shine brighter than the front which makes it hard to pick up. The FO can also be damaged by cleaning chemicals shooters use to clean their guns.

Thousands of people love them, but they just don't stand up well over thousands of rounds in my experience.

I prefer the sight offerings from Ameriglo (I-Dot Pros) or Trijicon (HD Night Sights) for defensive handguns.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    After a couple trips to the range with my new M&P40 the paint fell out of the front sight. Apparently this is a common problem that S&W is well aware of. I called them and they're sending me a new front sight free of charge. But since I have to go to the trouble of having it replaced, I'm considering going with a set of aftermarket sights.

I'm really liking the overall appearance of the TruGlo TFO's. I've been researching them for a couple days now, and I came across a forum post(don't recall if it was here or another forum) that the poster claimed his TFO's trinium vials and fiber optics were effectively dead due to cleaning solvents or gun oils getting on them. At least that's the explanation TruGlo offered him when he called their Customer Service.

I own one set of TFOs,on my G23 after seeing how bright they were I had to give them a try
    and they are really impressive,bright and well priced

I had them on my XD I shot for competition. REALLY bright in the sunlight, can't miss 'em. They front fell out after a few years and thousands of rounds, but was replaced for free.
    HAGJewels likes this.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I have them on my Glock 19, 29 and 30. I love them, which they made them for my CZs...
    02PSD4ME

If you don't worry about the front sight falling out continuously, they are great. I switched to Trijicons.
    multistage likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Moderator
    Had issues with losing the front fiber in mine. My Glocks now wear AmeriGlo sights, and they have been great.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have them on a Glock 19, and really like them. I do agree withan earlier post that in daylight or dark they're really good, but when it's in between, not quite as much. Still, I highly recommend them. I think I paid $125 installed a year or so ago.
    NRA Life Member

I tried the Truglo FO on my Glock and they were ok in good light but in low light they were not so good. I thought they would be bright in low light like the ones on my turkey shot gun but there not. I stayed away ftrom treir TFOs because my research found they are very unreliable. I'm taking the FO sights off my G20, I just ordered XS Big Dots 24/7 for it. I have had the BDs on my other Glocks and hit well with them up close and at longer distances, day or night.
    Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links