What Women Want

What Women Want

This is a discussion on What Women Want within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an interesting article from NSSF - Shot Show magazine: What Women Want -- Female shooters explain | SHOT Business Lady's your response? Men ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What Women Want

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

What Women Want

Here is an interesting article from NSSF - Shot Show magazine:

What Women Want -- Female shooters explain | SHOT Business

Lady's your response?

Men you may comment but as I always say; "If a man speaks on a deserted island and no one is there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Men you may comment but as I always say; "If a man speaks on a deserted island and no one is there to hear him, is he still wrong?"
    Nobody told me there was going to be a quiz.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good article. I'm a man, but my wife has gotten into shooting in the past year or so, so I've got some experience with a new female shooter and her perspective on things.

I think the comments about women seeking female sales associates is accurate, but the shops near where I live don't even have female employees (that I've seen, at least), so sometimes that is a tall order to fill unless there are (qualified) women who actually want to work at those places. If women don't want to work there, it's tough to get one behind the counter. Part of that problem could be with the businesses, themselves, but shooting has been seen as a predominately male endeavor, so I can see why women would not be as drawn to work there.

What really needs to improve is the customer service. I've seen bad customer service towards other men, much less towards the "weaker sex", so the eye rolls and such really do happen and should stop. More women are getting into shooting, and I hope that spurs companies on towards better service overall, for all of their customers.
    HAGJewels likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Interesting article. I have to agree with Dawg (woof woof) about not seeing many women in LGSs and those businesses probably having a hard time hiring qualified women. But there is still no excuse for poor customer service toward NOOBs, women shooters or anyone else for that matter. That's a good way to find your store out of business.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Nobody told me there was going to be a quiz.
    Sorry but you can't answer it! Gender specific questions!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I didn't see it mentioned but I think(could be a contradiction there) women and men both would prefer a clerk who said "I don't know" instead of making it up as they go along.
    HAGJewels and technomonster like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I feel like there's such a variety of women, that if you try to generalize the entire gender you're going to piss a lot of women off either way.

A lot of people bash pink guns. My girlfriend told me if I got her a pink gun she'd... well... it's not forum appropriate but let's just say she isn't a fan. But I have heard several women at gun counters specifically ask to see a pink gun and they liked the color choices.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the same principles apply to both men and women customers. For whatever reason, far too many men assume women don't know squat about guns. A knowledgeable woman behind the counter can ne worth her weight in gold as far as sales to women.
    blitzburgh, Sister and limatunes like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

One of my LGS used to have a woman working there. She was gorgeous, knew how to shoot well, and knew her stuff. She got along famously with my wife, too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I would like to see more products made with us in mind. I don't mean pink pistols or hello kitty ammo either. Just pistol grip sizes, better carry options for women's clothing, etc. The SW9c and the Shield were genius. I don't think it's just the gun shops that are behind the learning curve. The RO at the range needs to stop assuming every woman that pulls up needs a lesson on which end the bullets come out just because she's female. We joined a new club and the RO came straight to me and helped me to know how to hold my gun and point/aim it. After watching my husband and I shoot, he shook his head at my husband and said, "Son. You are in trouble" and walked away.

I also had a gun shop owner tell me that a 50 round box of 115gr FMJ is what I needed to shoot until I get use to it a little more. I wanted to hit him with the box lol. Instead I bought a case of 124gr hp from a competitor.
    Sister, Lish and limatunes like this.

Distinguished Member
    Old Vet hit it on the head for me, get more women working at the counter. I learned a lot from a woman at a gun show just on how to hold the gun and not get hurt when purchasing my first gun with a mag. (at the time, I didn't know the top part came back at you). A lot of men at the counter seem to think a woman needs a man to buy the gun for her so he will cater to the man not realizing that the woman is buying the gun and the man just might be her tag along son or male friend.
    HAGJewels likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I have had a lot of women in my classes. It seems that each class has about a third of women in it. What I have found is that, they have no ego to contend with, they listen, and a more willing to learn. IMO if you treat them like everyone else, they are more than fine, and most of the time are more capable of putting rounds into the target. I for one am glad to see this segment of the firearms industry growing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Love my wife have been married longer than most of you have been alive, when I saw this post I jumped on it hoping to learn that mystery that has evaded men for eons what women want , needless to say I was crushed the mystery survives

VIP Member
    They want whatever you can't give 'em.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Old Vet hit it on the head for me, get more women working at the counter. I learned a lot from a woman at a gun show just on how to hold the gun and not get hurt when purchasing my first gun with a mag. (at the time, I didn't know the top part came back at you). A lot of men at the counter seem to think a woman needs a man to buy the gun for her so he will cater to the man not realizing that the woman is buying the gun and the man just might be her tag along son or male friend.
    That's because I've been hit on the head too many times. Women need much better advice than to pee all over themselves if attacked.
    HAGJewels, onacoma and Sister like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links