.45 ACP, .45 COLT whats the difference?

This is a discussion on .45 ACP, .45 COLT whats the difference? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I'm thinking of getting a .45 and I know that colts and acp's cannot be used in the same gun. So when I ask ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .45 ACP, .45 COLT whats the difference?

Ok, I'm thinking of getting a .45 and I know that colts and acp's cannot be used in the same gun. So when I ask at the store I get 2 answers. One guy says ACP stands for All colt pistol and one guy says it means all center fire pistols. Ok, if it means all colt pistols then I would think I could only use them in colt pistols, but if it means all center fire pistols then I would think it would be ok to use them in the gun I'm going to get.

Can someone here please tell me what it means and what guns go with what ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Automatic Colt Pistol. They are very different rounds... what gun are you looking to buy?

FYI, there are other manufactures besides Colt that make .45 ACP pistols.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Automatic Colt Pistol.

The .45 ACP was made to duplicate(roughly) the ballistics of the .45 Colt. in a semi-auto pistol.

The .45 Colt is a longer cartridge that is much older than the .45 ACP. The Colt can shoot a heavier bullet(250 grains) than the ACP which is typically 230 grains.

The Colt is usually slower, around 780-820 FPS whereas the ACP is usually around 840-850 for a standard load.

It has nothing to do with "all Colt or all centerfire".

Use .45 ACP for guns marked as such and do the same for the .45 Colt.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I'd find a different store

VIP Member
    IIRC you can shoot a .45 ACP through a 45 Long Colt revolver if you use moon clips. I'm not a .45 guy so let's wait for one of the experts to chime in.

Attached Images
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Another thing the 45 Colt also known as the 45 Long Colt is a rimmed round designed for revolvers whereas the 45ACP is a rimless round designed for semi-autos.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I'd find a different store
    Ha! Problem is there are guys that don't know much at an awful lot of gun stores. I'd learn on my own and not rely on the salespeople (good advice on any product you are looking to buy, really).
    SmokinFool likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHoss View Post
    Ok, I'm thinking of getting a .45 and I know that colts and acp's cannot be used in the same gun. So when I ask at the store I get 2 answers. One guy says ACP stands for All colt pistol and one guy says it means all center fire pistols. Ok, if it means all colt pistols then I would think I could only use them in colt pistols, but if it means all center fire pistols then I would think it would be ok to use them in the gun I'm going to get.

Can someone here please tell me what it means and what guns go with what ammo.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

THAT'LL clear it right up for him...
    Clint Eastwood

If your looking for a single action revolver. Ruger makes one with 2 cylinders chambered in 45ACPand 45 Colt. We make them every once in a while. Check the Ruger website

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IIRC you can shoot a .45 ACP through a 45 Long Colt revolver if you use moon clips. I'm not a .45 guy so let's wait for one of the experts to chime in.

caliber_bullets_4.JPG
    The moon clips were designed to be used in revolvers chambered in .45acp, but it being rimless, the star extractor "can" jump over the semi-rim leaving the empty casing in the gun. The .45 auto rim was developed to solve that problem, it's just a .45acp with a rim.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    THAT'LL clear it right up for him...
    It does answer the first question asked,
    Brad426 likes this.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It does answer the first question asked,
    True enough. All he really wants to know is what kind of ammo to buy for his S&W or Glock or Ruger .45, I think.
    OD* likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

Colt long fired from revolver
    .45 ACP fired form auto
    If you owned a weapon that fires the Colt long you would know it. .45 ACP is what most have
    100_0959.JPG

.45 Colt, or .45 Long Colt is usually used for Cowboy Action Shooting, and is usually used in Old West replica Single Action Revolvers. .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) is usually used in semi-automatic pistols of a modern style, though they can be used in some revolvers with the use of moon clips.

That being said, neither should be confused with Colt 45 which usually comes in a large can that will not fit in any firearm with which I am familiar, and should not be used in conjunction with either .45LC or .45ACP firearms, unless said Colt 45 cans are merely being used for target practice.
    Brad426, OD*, woodsong and 1 others like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links