Painted lines at the range

This is a discussion on Painted lines at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I pride myself on knowing the rules when i go to the range . I read the signs if i don't know i ask. Well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Painted lines at the range

VIP Member

I pride myself on knowing the rules when i go to the range . I read the signs if i don't know i ask. Well this morning i went to a range to fire off about 200 rounds. 50 with a 38 snub i set the target to the first line i got to where i had about 8 rounds or so left and the range kid came to me and said i can't fire from the first line . The line was about 15 foot out does anyone know why they put a line on the floor and you cannot shoot from it. Just asking
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

why didn't you ask them at the range?
    OldVet likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

VIP Member
    I had my ears in and guns were going off . And by the time i was done i had forgot to ask.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by kukla View Post
    why didn't you ask them at the range?
    I gotta go with this. Hours later you're asking us what the lines on their floor are for. That's akin to asking us why a cop gave you a speeding ticket.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Seems odd... Could there be some odd angles caused by being so close? At my range, you can only shoot from a rest if the target is out beyond 20 yards or so. Any closer, and a poor shot might drift up to the ceiling.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    BadgerJ likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I gotta go with this. Hours later you're asking us what the lines on their floor are for. That's akin to asking us why a cop gave you a speeding ticket.
    How did you know i got a ticket .........I was not overly worried about the issue but i thought i would come in here and see if someone knew about the line system or lay out. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is not on the scale .
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I'm trying to visualize what you're saying but your question is very confusing and vague. Are you in a booth with a target on a chain drive that sends the target out to the shooting area? Usually they paint the lines on the floor so shooters can gauge the distance. Twenty-five feet is about the standard distance, 8-10 yards. But if the range is laid out so that shooting too close to the booth gives an unfavorable angle to the backstop, then they'd want you to put it out farther.

So, it's about the angle to the backstop so that the rounds are going downrange safely. All ranges are different. Perhaps they have a website and you can look at the range rules. If you have a phone number you can call them and ask.

You said 'shooting from the line' and it seems like you're shooting -to- the line 15 feet from the booth, but since we don't know what your range looks like, if there is a motorized drive or how the targets are set up, it's hard to give you a definitive answer.

HTH
    Tzadik likes this.

VIP Member
    The first line was about 15 foot out , the other ranges i have gone to have signs about the shooting line not to shoot before the first line .I was shooting at about 15 feet out with a 38 snub
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

The range I shoot at, certain large targets have to be run back at least 50 ft. I think it has to do with the possible angles you can get near the edge of the target up close.
    granted, it you can't shoot straight it's going to be dangerous no matter the target size.

20130629_144738.jpg

it narrows point of impact
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

If you're talking about a limit on how close you can have your target, it is done so there is less hidden by the target. If a target is 3 feet in front of you, you can't see much of anything behind or around it. When it's 25 feet away, you can see a lot more around it. It's for safety. The private range I have a membership with has a similar setup and rules on the pistol and rifle ranges. No closer than 25 yards on the rifle range and no closer than 7 yards on the pistol range.

As to why they even have a line there? I don't know. Maybe it's competition or measurement related.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I recently went to an indoor range,in another town.The range fees are free on tuesday for females,so i figured i would see what kind of place it is.
    It's nice.They set me up on a lane.The range master,showed me how to use the little computer to send the target out,for the distance i wanted.I don't remember seeing any mark on the floor,and,he didn't say anything else,so far as any other rules.I started out at 5 yrds,then 8,then 10.They keep one person,inside the range,to watch the people shooting,but,they were friendly people.
    He did make contact,with a guy beside me,who started rapid firing.Evidently that's a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    i set the target to the first line i got to ... the range kid came to me and said i can't fire from the first line . The line was about 15 foot out ...

does anyone know why they put a line on the floor and you cannot shoot from it.
    Seems strange that the first barrier or line you come to at a given lane isn't considered the hot/cold line. At most ranges I've been to, there is a strictly and absolutely clear dividing line between the "cold" zone of the range and the "hot" area. If at the "line" (tables, spots to place your rug/tripod, whatever), it has always been clearly obvious that the given line is the one in question, with no real way to flub that decision.

From what you describe, I'm betting things aren't well-labeled at that range and they presume people "just know" these things. Bad way to go, in terms of safety, easily gotten wrong by those not in-the-know.

Well, thanks to the range kid, now you know.

Of course, you've got to wonder if you end up firing from a couple lines further toward the targets whether you'll get someone at some point who, like you did, will set up at the line further back from you and start blasting away, putting you at risk of being shot. Bad juju, that arrangement, to make it so unclear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    I recently went to an indoor range,in another town.The range fees are free on tuesday for females,so i figured i would see what kind of place it is.
    It's nice.They set me up on a lane.The range master,showed me how to use the little computer to send the target out,for the distance i wanted.I don't remember seeing any mark on the floor,and,he didn't say anything else,so far as any other rules.I started out at 5 yrds,then 8,then 10.They keep one person,inside the range,to watch the people shooting,but,they were friendly people.
    He did make contact,with a guy beside me,who started rapid firing.Evidently that's a no no.
    I'd love both things here: Free range time and a way to set approximate distance at the range consistently (without buying a rangefinder).
    Manderinobyebye likes this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    ItalianSteel,that one,i went to,is about 35 miles from me.A friend, in the town it's in,told me about it.I went on a tuesday,since it was free,and she met me there.This one has a little computer,you punch in your distance for target,it's there.It was just a different place to shoot a little,but,a bit far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links