High Standard Crusader Compact .45 Pistol Take down Issue

This is a discussion on High Standard Crusader Compact .45 Pistol Take down Issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This may be common knowledge and if so I apologize profusely. Ordered a High Standard Crusader for a customer last week. Before the customer was ...

Thread: High Standard Crusader Compact .45 Pistol Take down Issue

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

This may be common knowledge and if so I apologize profusely.

Ordered a High Standard Crusader for a customer last week. Before the customer was to pick it up I was getting it ready. The firearms comes packed in a plastic bag (inside the case obviously) with a lot of oil so I thought I would go over it and do a good cleaning before the customer arrived.

I went through the normal take-down procedure but was not able to get the guide rod out of the bushing. After a bit of looking I noticed a tiny hole on the guide rod at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. Further examination lead me to believe this is a retaining locator. But due to the location a take down pin, such as used on some Kimber pistols would not fit due the clearance between the guide rod and barrel.

To make a long story short, I took a paper clip and bent a 90 degree by 3/32" "L" on one end, racked the slide a to where the guide rod hole was visible - placed the pin into the hole and
    removed the slide. Subsequently I was able to remove the guide rod and bushing out the rear of the slide and lastly the barrel with no issues.

The manual that comes with these pistols (which are a great firearms for the money) only addresses the standard 1911 take down. Barrel bushing etc.

Since the hole is machined at the location mentioned above it would be hard to use a Kimber take down pin however if you are an enterprising individual with a mill you could add a second hole at a more usable location such as at the 10:00 and 2:00 position. But I would recommend just working with what you have and leave well enough alone.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

My Best,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like the paper clip worked fine.

Links