Thinking of consolidating calibers. Your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Thinking of consolidating calibers. Your thoughts? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, basically I've got several weapons that I've obtained over the years and to be honest, I just don't shoot them. Heck, I've got an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thinking of consolidating calibers. Your thoughts?

Ok, basically I've got several weapons that I've obtained over the years and to be honest, I just don't shoot them. Heck, I've got an AK that's never been fired!

I'm thinking of limiting my handguns to 9mm and 45acp. That would have me ditching two .40's and a .380.

As far as rifles...I'd like to get down to just the 6.8spc, 5.56, my Mosins and my .22LR. That would mean ditching several other calibers as well.

I was told once that you should never sell/trade you're firearms because at some point you'll regret it. While that is certainly an opinion and not a fact I kind of agree, but not wholeheartedly. I have plenty of weapons that I kind of think I wouldn't miss as long as they weren't stolen from me and I got something fair in return.

With that return I could invest in some other guns that serve a more practical purpose that I've been interested in.

What is your take on the subject?

Have you ever done what I'm thinking of doing? What were your short/long term feelings about parting with your guns?

Do you have any general comments about anything I might have not thought about?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I "Standardized" a long time ago, after getting many guns in the same caliber I then decided to un-standarized based on the activity, currently i'm looking for a 22-250 or a 220 swift to help exume some Whistlepigs in WV. Lets face it if it gets really bad you are only going to grab one rifle. This isn't Wolfenstein in which you get to hold onto everything. Most like you'll have a Pistol, and Rifle. Why not just enjoy yourself.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

When the gun and ammo shortage hit, I was glad I had a wide variety of calibers. I could seemingly find some calibers much easier than others (.38 special and .40 S&W seemed readily available while 9mm and 380 were impossible to find within a 100 miles radius).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Standardizing is ok if that's what you want, and can stay happy by doing it.
    I failed years ago.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I wish i had that problem,but,i'm working on it,lol.
    DJC7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    I'm thinking of limiting my handguns to 9mm and 45acp. That would have me ditching two .40's and a .380.

As far as rifles...I'd like to get down to just the 6.8spc, 5.56, my Mosins and my .22LR. That would mean ditching several other calibers as well.

I was told once that you should never sell/trade you're firearms because at some point you'll regret it.
    Sure, you might well regret standardizing, thinking fondly of the guns of bygone days. But, they're only tools. If your pattern of shooting/hunting and general enjoyment centers on just a handful of calibers, then why not standardize? Did that long ago, myself. At max, I've had 9mm, .380ACP, .243Rem, 8x57mm Mauser at one time. Much simpler, that way.

Price are relatively high, right now, too. Might be a very good time to sell.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Unless you have a slew of firearms you plan on replacing the old stock with, I wouldn't sell any. Just my $0.02
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Variety is the spice of life!

Maybe I should just sell and buy another, bigger safe.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

I do my best to avoid standardization of calibers.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

For me it usually comes down to money. If it didn't I would probably have many more guns of many more calibers. I have the basics covered and only shoot my carry gun on a regular basis. I have the same problem with motorcycles one street toy and one dirt but would like to have some others. Wife says I only have one butt so why do I need more? She will never understand. So far only one wife for 24 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I do my best to avoid standardization of calibers.
    You, most definitely, need a bigger safe. Better yet, four or five more. Enough different weapons and ammo to choke an Army battalion.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    When I got back into handguns, I bought a G30 .45 because I always wanted a .45 ACP and never had one. Then I picked up a 4566 LEO trade-in because it was a good deal. Love shooting both. Then I picked up a CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov as a refinishing project, but it shot so sweet I bought another for my son. Next was an LEO trade-in 6906 in 9mm, adding a third caliber to the stable, which was followed up with a Sig P226 M35. Not to be content, I bought a .22 conversion for the G30.

Somewhere along the way I may unload one of the pistols for some reason,. but I don't see abandoning a caliber for the sake of standardizing. I like my variety. Each fills a separate niche in my shooting enjoyment.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    ...SNIP...
    With that return I could invest in some other guns that serve a more practical purpose that I've been interested in.

What is your take on the subject?

Have you ever done what I'm thinking of doing? What were your short/long term feelings about parting with your guns?

Do you have any general comments about anything I might have not thought about?
    I regret selling every gun I've sold to this day. None of them were collectors pieces or anything "special" like, just your dime a dozen type pistol. But still, nonetheless, I regret selling them just the same.

Smart money says you too will end up eventually regretting the sale of said weapon(s) and maybe even repurchase them down the line.

As far as my thoughts on consolidating calibers.. I say, why limit yourself? Yes, shooting anything is fun, real fun, but it's also a lot more fun when you have different weapons and especially different calibers (IMO). The way I look at it is this; I love cars and wish I could afford to own tons of them but I can't. I can however afford to "drive" a different weapon in different calibers though and to me, it's awesome.

Aside from maybe limited storage place and financial reasons, I can't think of one good reason to limit the fun!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    You put all your eggs in one basket and... well, I think you get the point. I wouldn't do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links