Gun(s) for my boy(s)

Gun(s) for my boy(s)

This is a discussion on Gun(s) for my boy(s) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two sons. Currently they are 2 and 4 and are not shooting "real" guns yet. We practice safety and shooting the airsoft gun ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Crashoften
  • 1 Post By zamboni
  • 2 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Gun(s) for my boy(s)

Gun(s) for my boy(s)

I have two sons. Currently they are 2 and 4 and are not shooting "real" guns yet. We practice safety and shooting the airsoft gun that I have and they really seem to enjoy it. I have bought guns for different reasons at one point or another and one gun that I bought (stock Ruger 10/22) was purchased with the intention of it being (one of) my son's first gun. It is IMO a great gun and while it is, and will be mine for a while, I want my sons to have their "own gun" of mine and I want each to have one. You know how kids can be with sharing! I am the same way!

All of that considered, I would like to buy another .22 for my other son to have as his own once he gets shooting as a beginner rifle that I can give to him to eventually be his own. I love having the 10/22 and may purchase another for son #2 but would love to hear your opinions on another option. I saw that Bass Pro has the Henry Golden boy youth on sale for $449.99 Not sure if I want to get a youth gun as he may/will outgrow it. (I do not know though as I have never shot nor held a youth gun, opinions welcome on that aspect as well).

Give me your opinions please. Thank you!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

It's always good to have guns around for the smaller shooters but that are your guns. Then when they get old enough to start wanting different kinds revolvers, semi's, shotgun etc then get them "they're" gun. First thought is get another 10/22 so they don't argue but then again why not have a variety so they learn different kinds. I always opted for variety.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Started off shooting 22's when I was about 3yrs old back when they used to have shooting booths at the carnivals . . . ahhhhhh the smell of cotton-candy & spent 22-shells in the air.

Getting another 10/22 would be nice as both will have the same rifle as I know how sibling rivalry could kick in one having ah Henry Golden Boy and one having ah Ruger 10/22. Would be hard to say whom would have the better deal though, but boys will be boys.

So my suggestion would be get um each both then they can't argue over it. But get the Henry big-boy size so as you said; it will not be outgrown.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

You do realize that child services, local LE, the school, and lord knows who else will probably be wanting to take your kids, put you in jail and search your home for guns and pastries that are chewed into the shapes of guns. Or photos of guns. LOL
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Molon labe!
    Ghost1958 and airslot like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I like to start kids off with single shot bolt actions. Lever actions require that the child lower the hammer. Not something I like to see young, beginner shooters take responsibility for.
    cowboyfromhell likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Get another 10-22. This way they can shoot together.
    A word of advice though. Do not give them the guns until they turn 18. You can let them use your gun. if you say the guns are theirs that is a transfer of title to a minor and a straw purchase for a prohibited person . I know its a moot point but I know of parents who have been arrested by ATF for doing it. I strongly disagree with this but it is against federal law.

VIP Member
    While the 10/22 is a great little gun, I don't think a semi auto should be the first gun for a young shooter. They need to learn shooting discipline. Target acquisition, trigger control, breathing and so on. For those things a bolt action is a better gun to learn on. Once they have learned the basics of shooting, then move on to a semi auto.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I saw that Bass Pro has the Henry Golden boy youth on sale for $449.99 Not sure if I want to get a youth gun as he may/will outgrow it. (I do not know though as I have never shot nor held a youth gun, opinions welcome on that aspect as well).
    MHO, I'd go with a 22 that has an adjustable stock so that as they grow the stock can grow with them. I've gone thru 4 youth rifles for our grand-kids that were outgrown in a year or two and we're saving them for the Great Grand-kids. You can get a 10/22 conversation stock or something like this: Products - 10-22 | Slide Fire® - Superior Performance Gun Stocks.

Now all you have to worry about is finding ammunition!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I would start with a BB gun. Once they can handle that graduate to a pellet gun. I didn't have my own .22 till I was a teenager and my father felt I could be responsible with it, but I could ask permission to use any of his by that point.

It's tough with the toy guns. What's the point if you can't point it at someone and say "bang". I draw the line at the BB gun, and make certain they understand that it is NOT a toy anymore.

That's the way my dad did it with me, and it has served me well my whole life. Even baby stepping like this I still went off to the fields with my friends and we shot BB guns at each other. By the grace of God no one got hit in the eye. If we did that today some idiot would have reported suspicious "men" armed with rifles and we probably would have all ended up in jail.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

All suggestions appreciated. The guns will remain mine, until they are old enough to own the, but will be available for their use. I have a Springfield single shot that they will learn on, but I know how much fun the semi auto or lever action .22 can be!
    BigJon

Don't know if I would get another 10/22. That does not mean I don't absolutely love mine, I do and its one of my favorite firearms. And so do my granddaughters, at least the 2 that are big enough to shoot it. Got 3 granddaughters that are shooters (6, 9, and 12). I would get a DIFFERENT gun. Different caliber, say a 17HMR. Get a bolt action 22 or 17. Something that is not the same. That way they have something to swap and share. If they both have the same gun, therre is no sharing needed, no trading. If they have different guns, then they can swap from time to time. Kids like doing that.

I believe varieity is the spice of life. No single firearm will suit or be liked by everyone. So I have given the girls their time in the limelight with many different types and models of firearms. And I let them choose which ones they prefer to continue shooting.

So far here is what my granddaughters have shot:
    Miya (6):
    1963 Browning 22 Long Rifle (22lr)
    Savage Model 93r17 (17hmr)
    Custom built 10/22 target rifle (22lr)
    Sig Mosquito (22lr)
    S&W M&P9 (9mm)
    S&W AR-15 (22lr and .223)
    Daisy Red Rider BB (.177 I think)

Serena (9):
    Sig Mosquito (22lr)
    S&W M&P9 (9mm)
    S&W AR-15 (.223)
    S&W 15-3 Revolver (38 Special)
    1972 Remington 700 (.223)
    Daisy Red Rider BB (.177 I think)

Vanna (12):
    S&W M&P9 (9mm)
    S&W AR-15 (.223)
    S&W 15-3 Revolver (38 Special)
    Sig P226 Enhanced Elite (9mm)
    1972 Remmington 700 (.223)
    1942 Remington 1903A3 (30-06)
    Remington 700 (.308)
    AK-47 (7.62)
    22 Revolver (not sure make, guy at range let her fire it)

The underlined ones are the firearms they seem to favor.

I now have my collection of Remington 870 Wingmaster's (410, 28, 20 and 12) cleaned and ready. They have not yet fired them. But I will start them off on the 410 and graduate them up until they are uncomfortable with the recoil and size and stop. Then they know what they can take and which one they like. And when they are bigger and better, they can choose to move up the gauges.

I believe that teaching kids about guns is as important as teaching them to swim. Both will likely save their lives one day.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Sponsored Links