Gun for Daughter???

This is a discussion on Gun for Daughter??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all. Second, I have 15 and 12 year old daughters. The youngest likes to do everything with dad. She ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun for Daughter???

Gun for Daughter???

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Second, I have 15 and 12 year old daughters. The youngest likes to do everything with dad. She plays softball, golf, wants to go hunting etc. all because I do those things or used to. I have taken both of them shooting and they both enjoy the guns and the time they spend with me. I have a Browning Father/Son 22LR rifle that my dad gave me when I was 14. Both of them can shoot really well.(better than me) I spoke with the yongest about competition pistols and she was very interested.

My question: Which gun and caliber would you recommend I start her off with? All I have are a 380 and .40. I think they would be way too big for her. I want her to have fun and continue to enjoy shooting. I'm not sure that would happen if I put a 380 in her hands for first time pistol experience. I know the .40 would be too much. All opinions makes and models welcome. Thanks.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a father or a girl...

but I know my younger sister has some views on those things. Our father taught all of us to shoot, and we do it pretty well. She wasn't as into it as much as us boys mostly because of my father's teaching method. She shoots with me alot now. She seems to like her SKS, being a college student it's cheap on ammo and kinda cool.

But on to the point. I'd just give her a try with the .380 and see what works. A .22 revolver might be a good idea if she can't get good groups with the 380. I think it has more to do with what someone is comfortable with than actual recoil properties. My sister used to shoot a .44 Magnum on occasion at that age. She just had to hang on tight.

That said, good luck on the endeavor. I enjoy teaching women to shoot because they do better at it than alot of men starting out. My personal belief is that it has to do with them having no preconcieved notions and better fine motor control.

I suggest that you take a good look at PAX' website, www.corneredcat.com . It is a site by a woman for women and she is one sharp lady, brimming with wisdom and insight, with a great website. She has a great feel for young folk too.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Talking I always recommend some flavor of .22 for a first gun.

I always recommend some flavor of .22 for a first gun. They have virtually no recoil, low noise, and are cheap to shoot, inexpensive to buy, come in so many configuration's that you can find one to fit anyone, and as it does not break the bank to go and buy 500 (a brick) of rounds that will last a whole day at the range and they will shoot more. Once they get comfortable with the .22 let them decide what they want.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would suggest that you take a look at the Ruger MKII's. Or the 512's. Maybe even a 22/45. These weapons are great for teaching weapon safety and first time use of sights. Can shoot all day with a $9. brick.

Would reccomend the 5.5" heavy bbl beyond all others. -------
    Last edited by RSSZ; November 23rd, 2006 at 02:11 PM.

What about a revolver? Like a Taurus Ultralite? That was my first gun. My GF didn't like it because it wasn't "pretty" but I reminded that the person robbing me won't be focused on how pretty it is. I always recommended on starting a revolver and working your way up. .38spl isn't to bad. My friend has an old (and I do mean "OLD") Colt 45 1873 cavalvry issued revolver. All of the ladies he's taught love shooting that gun.

Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II would be my suggestions for a young person's first handgun. I love my buckmark...it's fun, cheap to feed, very easy to use, and it is quite accurate.

I started out on a S&W .357 with an 8-3/8" bbl with really light .38 special handloads that my father loaded for me....with the weight of the gun combined with the handloads, it was very tame indeed...hardly kicked at all...but it was quite heavy for me being a novice shooter.

in any event, I like the .22s below as first handguns

Administrator
    a .22, or a full sized 9mm/ or .38.

Okay, as a certified instructor I would highly recommend she be TAUGHT be an NRA certified instructor. Not that in any way am I saying you're not up to the task! It's just that sometimes it's better for certain skills to be imbued by somebody besides "DAD." I taught my own daughter, but if I weren't already a highly experienced instructor, I'd have gotten one of my friends who is (and is also a dad) to teach her.

In any case, there is no way I'd let her use a .380 for the first rounds downrange! Why? The same reason my wife insisted I sell her Beretta M84 .380. It's not accurate enough to provide satisfying feedback whereas the .22LR is an Olympic round. But the 380 has a fairly sharp "report" (noise) for a novice shooter.

I'd start her on a bolt action single shot 22 rifle. But if you really want to start with a handgun....

I would recommend either a Ruger Super Single Six (with the 22WMR sp bbl) in single action. This way you KNOW that there will be only one shot at a time. In the semi auto, there is always the potential for an itchy trigger finger to send several rounds downrange in rapid sequence. Yes you could limit the number of rounds in the magazine, but that is a bit more painstaking a process. The alternative is a 22LR revolver in a DA. I like the Super Single Six because it offers the 22WMR option for a slight bump up in power and accuracy. In a pinch a 22WMR could be used in self defense. The Super Single Six is amazingly accurate and will provide good feedback to the novice shooter when she applies the lesson properly. Use the Shoot-n-see adhesive target overlays for even better results.

SKIP the 380 when she's ready to move on. Go directly to the 9mm. But that's another sequence of suggestions.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Yup, what exsoldier said, I was just to lazy to type it all out before him.

+1 on the ruger single six.

Lead Moderator
    Look on the NRA site for competition JR programs in your area. I started shooting at 16 Air pistol, .22 rifle and pistol, later Hi power service rifle. The NRA supplied the guns,ammo and intructors for free.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for all the suggestions. I knew I could count on ya'll for quality advise. I did start her out with a rifle. Both of my girls loved it. My wife doesn't shoot because of the noise so I don't want my girls to get discouraged because of that. I hadn't thought about an instructor, I am a teacher and coach and I taught her how to play softball, but that sounds like a great idea. I am not an expert in firearms instruction. I think I will take her to the gunshop with me and try all the guns you suggested and let her tell me which one feels best in her hands.
    Thanks again.
    "The truth is not half as important as what people believe the truth to be." Napoleon
    Bersa .380
    H&K USP Compact .40SW
    S&W 66 .357
    Colt Commander .45

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Definitely a .22. It's way cheap to shoot and a whole lotta fun.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Question Noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstogo View Post
    My wife doesn't shoot because of the noise so I don't want my girls to get discouraged because of that.
    So, start your wife over and start her with a 22. Maybe even a 22 SHORT.

Also, ALWAYS use proper hearing protection. More than ear plugs, too. Although I always carry a pair of them in my pocket wherever I go, just in case.

But on the range, wear ear protector MUFFS. I recommend the Howard Leight 31's. Also the Howard Leight Thunder 29s. For extra protection wear plugs AND muffs.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links