Took a friend to the range this morning

This is a discussion on Took a friend to the range this morning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Taking a new shooter out for their first time is always fun for me. He had some of the usual feelings of nervousness and adrenalin ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By Luis50
  • 4 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By BigStick
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Took a friend to the range this morning

Taking a new shooter out for their first time is always fun for me. He had some of the usual feelings of nervousness and adrenalin but overcame them and came out with a different view of firearms and their ownership.

For me, there's nothing like showing someone that firearms are not the evil objects that they may have perceived them to be.

It was a positive experience and he learned something today. A great way to start your day if you ask me.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    A great way indeed.

Good on ya Luis!

VIP Member
    Yay. I let an "almost" anti coworker shoot my AR once. I had set up a bunch of clay pigeons on the 100 yd berm and let him whack away at them. Halfway through the first mag he stopped and looked at me with the biggest smile.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    We all need to keep trying to get new people into the "family". Turn enough anti's to our side, and the elections will be a lot easier.
    BigPony and cn262 like this.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Yay. I let an "almost" anti coworker shoot my AR once. I had set up a bunch of clay pigeons on the 100 yd berm and let him whack away at them. Halfway through the first mag he stopped and looked at me with the biggest smile.

^^^^^^^^^^^Funny how they NEVER^^^^^^^^^^

Say, "hey man, this sucks I wanna go home"

I remember Ted Nugent telling a story about him having a big rock band out to his house years ago, and most were antis, and the rest were indifferent to firearms.
    By the time they were done they all were saying "man, I'm gonna go get one of those, what are they"(they were shooting AR 15's.)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I had starting shooting trap over a dozen years ago, but it was only within the past year that I fired a handgun for the first time. My friend (a certified instructor, which is helpful!) took me to the range and at one point my hands were trembling and he said, "Lighten up your grip; you're gripping too hard if the gun is shaking."

I answered him that it wasn't the grip; it was the adrenaline!
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Good job, friend. Good job.
    Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    For me, there's nothing like showing someone that firearms are not the evil objects that they may have perceived them to be.
    Watching a citizen being built right before our eyes is always exhilarating. Awareness ... awakening ... reveling in the newfound joy.

I love the new-shooter process. It's always fun to see them round the bend, where it becomes just another fun thing to do. Even more so, when they realize that the lies/deceits they've been spoon fed previously don't hold the water the claimers claimed they did.
    miller_man likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That's how we need to "de-program" them - one at a time.

Nice, this reminds me of a story I heard from a guy a few months ago...

He is big into Class III stuff, mostly cans. We both live in Dallas County, neither the sheriff nor the DPD chief will sign off on NFA items so usually the only way to go is the trust route. For most this is expensive ($500 minimum, luckily I'll just write up my own when I buy a can) and a general PITA. He and some other shooters had some sort of event where they had a bunch of guests out on a private piece of land and were shooting all kinds of NFA weapons including full auto. One of the people invited was a US District judge, who happened to be a handgun owner but not really an enthusiast in general. He shot some FA and (obviously) had a great time, later he was asking about how they were able to own full auto weapons and that kind of thing. They told him about the process and what a pain it is and how no CLEOs aroung will sign off so the trust is the only way etc. A couple days later, he called this guy and told him he had looked into the issue and learned that he (as a Federal judge) can also sign off on NFA items and would be happy to do so. Guess who signed off on this guy's last can he bought?

Distinguished Member
    Very nice! Love the new shooters. I have yet to see someone not have a great time shooting quality guns in a safe environment.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links