Another Glock or not?

Another Glock or not?

This is a discussion on Another Glock or not? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the LGS today to pick up my Shield 9mm that I had put in lay away about 2 months ago. When I get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another Glock or not?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Another Glock or not?

Went to the LGS today to pick up my Shield 9mm that I had put in lay away about 2 months ago. When I get there I start looking around while they were finding everything. Well, while I was waiting I started looking to see what they had on the shelves and seen a Gen 3 G23 sitting there and I started thinking...........

So, the sales person behind the counter hands it to me to take a look at it while they are getting the rest of my paper work together along with the gun. As he hands it to me I immediately get bit by the Glock bug once again. I don't have a 40 in the line up, never shot one, and really never had an interest in the 40 before. I think what made it interesting to me
    is the fact I can find 40 ammo on a pretty regular basis while finding 9mm is like finding Bigfoot.

I don't want to be a gun snob so I am trying my best to add more MFG's to my collection (handgun and shotgun). I have or have had Kimber, Browning, Glock, and CZ. Nevertheless it seems I have more Glocks in the stable than anything else by at least 3 or more guns. So, what do you guys think? Get the Shield 9mm and put it in rotation with the G19 as a carry gun or buy another Glock just for the sake of having another one. I know I have to decide which one to get but i'm just curious what some of you may do in this situation. Either way one or the other will be coming home with me in the morning.

If it were me, I'd do both. I'd pay off the Shield and then put some bread down on the Glock.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I went to Walmart today and the only pistol ammo they had was .40. Personally, I would go for a Glock in FDE or OD because I already have two black ones. Nothing wrong with owning a bunch of Glocks. They are excellent shooters.
    MJB_17 likes this.

VIP Member
    I wouldn't get it for me, although I love Glocks, because it is in a caliber that I don't shoot. Trying to consolidate the ammo purchases.

Although I would probably get another Glock in a caliber that I do shoot.

Hey Bud don't think it to death! The S&W MP line made a believer out of me. I don't even own a Glock anymore! Because of comfort and feel, NO other reason. Stick with what works for YOU. Glock is second to none in any caliber! I had a 22 in 40 cal, wish I still had it. Was my favorite caliber in Glock lineup.

Id pass on .40 cal anything.
    Harryball likes this.

Having multiple calibers is a good thing when you are looking for ammo during a shortage. I am very glad I have a Glock 20 SF and two 1911s in 10mm. The shelves around here are loaded with 10mm ammo at pre-panic prices. The big box store even has back-stock in their storeroom. They even carry Double-Tap and Buffalo Bore 10mm ammo. The only other caliber with lots of stock locally is .44 magnum which I also shoot.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Save more money for another month or so, and just get a Sig. You will never have to look back.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I'm just gonna keep kicking it around for awhile tonight. If worse comes to worse i'll do a best out of 5 on a coin toss.

You never go wrong buying a Glock. If nothing else you can turn around and resell it for a decent price. They can almost be considered an investment. I also disagree with an earlier poster that .40 cal is a useless caliber.
    Pro likes this.

I could be wrong, but I believe that a g19 can be made to shoot .40 with a barrel swap and the correct magazines. If so - and again, maybe it's not so - that would be a less expensive option for .40.

For me it would depend on what other guns I owned. The Shield is in a different size class and gives greater concealment options. If I didn't have another gun to fill that role, the Shield would have an advantage.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

As you can see, I'm trying to get one from every manufacturer and have yet to buy two guns made by the same company. I do have a Glock 23 and a Shield though and would buy both again if I lost them. I also recommend both to others.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe that a g19 can be made to shoot .40 with a barrel swap and the correct magazines. If so - and again, maybe it's not so - that would be a less expensive option for .40.

For me it would depend on what other guns I owned. The Shield is in a different size class and gives greater concealment options. If I didn't have another gun to fill that role, the Shield would have an advantage.
    A Glock 23 can take an after market 9mm conversion barrel, but a Glock 19 can't take a 40 S&W barrel. The 40 S&W barrel is too big to go through the hole in the front of the 19's slide.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Get another Glock?
    You betcha'...I've already hit #6...used to hate 'em, but now I'm sold on them.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    I went to Walmart today and the only pistol ammo they had was .40. Personally, I would go for a Glock in FDE or OD because I already have two black ones. Nothing wrong with owning a bunch of Glocks. They are excellent shooters.
    I'm a big fan of the FDE Glocks, I have no need for a FDE colored weapon I just think they look cool
    zonker1986 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links