Advice Needed

Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Advice Needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Taurus 38 spl light weight MD# 85. I have had this gun for about ten years. From a personal protection point of ...

Thread: Advice Needed

Unhappy Advice Needed

I have a Taurus 38 spl light weight MD# 85. I have had this gun for about ten years. From a personal protection point of view I have come to respect the simple but effective dependability of this firearm for CC. I have bought a pocket holster for it and would like to make one other adjustment. This model has an exposed hammer. A gunsmith has told me he can alter that which of course means removing the thumb. Will this alter the striking force of the hammer and are there any hammer kits that convert to a thumb-less system. I know this will make the revolver a double action only but the trigger on this gun is excellent.

Your Thoughts
    jk

If its done by a reputable gunsmith no worries, I carry a snub with hammer in a milt sparks summer special works great

VIP Member
    I bobbed the spur off my hammer on my SW 637 with a dremel and have experienced no failure to fires. To boot, I also installed a lighter mainspring (8 lbs v. 8.5 pounds factory).

The issue is not inertia of the hammer, but strength of the mainspring. It should be fine.

Can't help you on buying a spare hammer. But bobbing the hammer is nigh idiot proof - just ask this idiot.

PEF
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    A cert. gunsmith no problem

...bobbing the hammer will not render the gun a double action only...it will still be able to be cocked by starting the hammer back by pulling the trigger and then pulling it to cocked position with your weak hand...to make it a true double action only, internal work needs to be done by the gunsmith...
    ...I've bobbed several revolvers and only cocked them at the range...letting the hammer down without a spur is asking for a slip-fire, and I wouldn't do it in a SD situation...most of my shooting is DA, anyways...

Links