Mosin Nagant?

Mosin Nagant?

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I remember back when I was a teenager that Big 5 couldn't give away Mosins at their store, so I assumed they were ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant?

Mosin Nagant?

Hey all,
    I remember back when I was a teenager that Big 5 couldn't give away Mosins at their store, so I assumed they were crappy weapons. I guess as I get older (ripe old age of 22) my tastes change in what I want in firearms. Anyone have any experience with them that could shed some light? Gun Broker has them for 200$ and less. Thanks,
    -Linny

$200 is pretty expensive, they should be at or below $100. But in these times it has become the new normal price. I would suggest shopping around for prices before you settle on anything over $150. If you can find an online retailer that will give you a hand picked (inspected for quality) for a couple extra bucks on the total price, go for it. I spent about $150 for mine through Buds and got a 1926 Tula with the hex receiver and all matching serial numbers. It was counter bored and re-crowned but is in otherwise amazing shape.

If it is an M44 Mosin (carbine with attatched bayonet) then it might be worth spending $200. However this is where knowing the difference between the M44 (Russian) and Type 53 (Chinese) will be vital, DONT spend $200 on a Type 53. Im not sure about the markings but the 53's are usually in very poor condition despite being identical to the 44's.

These days, buying a Mosin is kind of hit or miss. Dont expect to get the usual accessories (bayonet, sling, oil can, ammo pouches) but usually the retailer will tell you what, if any you will get. Some places offer a a choice between hex receivers and round receivers. The hex receivers are usualy pre-war and often better quality in manufacturing. The round receivers are not bad but the manufacturing was rushed for the war. There are a fee manufacturers, Tula is one and the others I cant remember off hand. Also there are a couple of countries that manufacturrd them. Russia being the original, China and I forget the other country but their Mosins are incredibly rare and the most sought after. I cant help you with the differences but you can find thoes online.

Goodluck!
    mano3 likes this.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

I like the Hex but the barrels on most of the ones I've seen lately look pretty bad.

I have three 91/30s, a Polish M44 and a Chinese T53, the 91/30s and the M44 are all great shooters, surprisingly accurate and fun. I haven't shot the T53 yet but I'm heading to the range this afternoon, if I can hit what I want with it at 100 yards it's going to become my truck/hunting gun.

The T53 is definitely an issued gun, the stock is battered but it's perfectly serviceable.

M44

T53

1932 91/30
    Sister and mano3 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Big 5 Sporting goods used to sell them for under $100. But their recent ad was advertising a SALE price of $169. I paid $199 for my M38 which was decent at the time. They now are going for $250 and over (at least in my location).

I like the Mosins. I like the M38 better because it is lighter than then 91/30 and M44 (doesn't have a bayonet like the M44). But I put a recoil pad on (designed for a Mosin) and it helped immensely taking the pain out of shooting it and making it real fun. I bought a 440 round box of ammo from Sportsman's Guide for $85 back in February or so. Still have over half of it there (and I had given some to my Brother-In-Law for his 91/30).

mano3 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Oh, and a good place for info is 7.62x54r.net
    bmcgilvray and Wolfiesden like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I have one with a production date of 1939 and love it. I can hit what I want at 300-400 meters with iron sites. It fires great! I got my for $75 at Big 5 in 2009 because I bought in bulk lol. I grabbed 6 of them together due to the low price and they all came with slings, oil can, bayonet, cleaning kit. All original to the weapon. I only have 1 left and kept the best of the group, hardly any scratches and zero rust.
    Last edited by mgillitzer; July 17th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Sister likes this.
    SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

"Fear is like having faith in the enemy"

Thanks, accessbob, for the link!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I was lucky enough to hand pick a 91/30 hex with all matching serial numbers from a small GS in Minot ND. The owner even threw in a spam can of ammo. I was out the door for $75. About 10 yrs ago.
    accessbob and NONAME762 like this.

I bought one in 2010 for $120+ tax and love it. There were several in a wooden barrel in the gun shop I frequent and mine was the best pick in the litter.

It's a 1942 Izhevsk Arsenal 91/30. It shoots really well and is a rugged rifle to say the least. I'd own another if the price was right, however they have increased since you-know-who got back in and the supply has just about dried up.

My sadness is that I passed up a 1938 Tula Hex receiver 91/30 that had been traded in and it was $99. I still kick myself for not getting it.

You can't go wrong with a Mosin.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have a '39 Mosin. Excellent Rifle. Came with the bayonet and oil can even. I really need to break that bad boy out of the safe and go have some bolt action fun at the range.

@the op, I would pick one up if I were you. Great historical rifle and a good shooter too.

Well, just mailed off my C&R application to the ATF so I can just order one online and not deal with FFL crap. My friend has a 1932 91/30. I was thinking on getting the ATI poly stock for it with bipods and optic to use as a boar gun since I think 7.62x54 would definitely do the trick. Anyone have any opinions on the stocks?

VIP Member
    I've owned several Mosins over the years, my favorite being the M44. One was a real bear to operate; I literally had to use a hammer to work the bolt. I call the Mosin my fun gun; it's always sure to entertain whoever's with you when you're out shooting. Watch their teeth shatter and the grass part in a big wave on front of you.
    Sister, HotGuns and mano3 like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Well, just mailed off my C&R application to the ATF so I can just order one online and not deal with FFL crap. My friend has a 1932 91/30. I was thinking on getting the ATI poly stock for it with bipods and optic to use as a boar gun since I think 7.62x54 would definitely do the trick. Anyone have any opinions on the stocks?
    Good luck with your first Mosin. Try it out stock before you sporterize (put it on an aftermarket stock, add a scope, etc) though and make sure to check all your serial numbers (Receiver, Bottom of the mag well, butt plate, bayonet, etc). If you absoloutley feel you must sporterize it then get on youtube and check out Iraqveteran8888 for in depth instructions.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

SGT, USA
    Combat Engineer
    NRA LoD Member

"Fear is like having faith in the enemy"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links