Glock vs Taurus

This is a discussion on Glock vs Taurus within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've owned a Glock 34 for about a year now, I bought it for sport/competition shooting and love it. However, 3 weeks ago I picked ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 68
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Glock vs Taurus

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array Zralou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    649

    Glock vs Taurus

    I've owned a Glock 34 for about a year now, I bought it for sport/competition shooting and love it. However, 3 weeks ago I picked up a Taurus PT92 on a whim just because I liked the look of it. Now i've seen a lot of people put down Taurus, which I think unfairly, so I thought I would take both guns to the range and pit them against each other to get an idea of whether Taurus deserves all the put downs.

    Obviously the Glock has more mileage because i've owned it longer. It probably has had around 800-1000 rounds put through it. The Taurus has had about 150-200 rounds. So on with the comparison.
    Both guns are similar setup, large frame, large capacity magazine, roughly equal size. The Glock is a polymer, 'safe action', DAO, semi-auto pistol, while the Taurus is a metal, DA/SA, exposed hammer, semi-auto pistol, both chambered in 9mm.

    Weight: The Taurus is the heavier gun due to its metal construction.

    Size: Because of the large beavertail on the Taurus, the Taurus is overall slightly longer. Barrels are pretty much the same width. Both guns are about the same height from top of slide to base of grip without magazine. Sight radius is noticeably longer on the Glock.

    Safety: Glock has safety on the trigger pull, Taurus has frame mounted manual safety and de-cocker, it also comes with a key lock that totally disables the gun.

    Trigger: The trigger pull on the Glock is light, crisp and consistent from first round to last. Taurus is DA/SA so the first pull is either light or long depending on cocked or hammer down option. I personally felt the trigger on the Taurus needs working on, it travels a long way then feels like it stops, and takes an extra tug for the last fraction before firing.

    Feel and performance: Both guns feel good in the hand, the Glock fits my hand better and controls are easier to reach, I found myself having to turn the Taurus in my hand to reach the magazine release. Both guns perform flawlessly, never a ftf, ftl, or stovepipe. The Taurus once failed to return to battery, but I think that was operator error by un-knowingly having my thumb on the slide lock button (Glock has contoured button, Taurus sticks out like a shelf). Overall they are both very similar, the Taurus just "feels" like a bigger gun.

    Personal preference: At the moment I would have to say I pick the Glock, mainly because i've owned it longer and know the gun better. In another year, who knows, I do like the Taurus very much, it shoots well, is accurate straight out of the box and I find myself using the Taurus at the range as much as the Glock.
    The Taurus has a few quirks and rough edges, however, the Glock cost me over $600, the Taurus was under $400. Do I think the Glock is a better gun?, maybe, but not $200 better...

    So, down to the nitty gritty.....

    20 rounds @ 10 yards:

    SDC13744_zps98fb887a.jpg

    10 rounds @ 25 yards:

    SDC13745_zpse72efa36.jpg

    Sara Lou

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,487
    I think a lot of the issues related to Taurus aren't a matter of accuracy but rather of reliability.

    From what it looks like, based on your very limited test of 60 rounds, neither gun performed significantly better or worse than the other. They are two very different guns. IMO, a single action firearm is going to be better for 25 or 50m/yd shots, strictly because a lighter trigger helps in those circumstances. Despite that, the G34 is more than capable of much more accurate shooting than what your test has shown. But that's not an issue of the firearm, it's an issue of the shooter.

    The Taurus once failed to return to battery, but I think that was operator error by un-knowingly having my thumb on the slide lock button...
    When you say it failed to return to battery, do you mean that it was slightly out of battery, or that the slide completely locked back? Because unless the slide completely locked back, as far as I'm aware, the slide lock wouldn't have anything to do with the slide returning to battery.

    A test of 30 rounds fired at 2 targets for each gun is going to do very little to dispel any claims against Taurus and trying to compare it to a Glock certainly isn't going to help. There is absolutely a reason that your G34 cost $200 more than your Taurus - and it is worth it. Your Glock is a straight up competition gun with many features meant to enhance the firearm's capabilities for that style of shooting. The Taurus is a service pistol - it is literally a reproduction of the Beretta 92 - not meant as a competition gun.
    sanfordreed, mano3 and AmmoFan01 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  4. #3
    Member Array fyrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    56
    I do have to agree with you, I'm not too sure the reason the Taurus has gotten the bad reputation. I have a PT100 that I've had for a number of years, over 12. It has never failed me. No failure to feed or to eject, ever. I like the gun. Recently I bought a Glock 30. Really like this gun, probably more than the Taurus. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot. Just seems to fit my hand. I like the trigger pull on the Glock better, and the size is convent.
    But just the same I do like the Taurus. Just my 2˘.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,986
    Glock verses Taurus.


    Seriously....






    IMO, there's no comparison.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...YUP!!!

    ...like sex vs. sawdust...and I don't love the Glocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Glock verses Taurus.


    Seriously....






    IMO, there's no comparison.
    peckman28 and Secret Spuk like this.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mountains of Western North Carolina
    Posts
    1,327
    The PT-92's and Berreta 92 that Uncle Sam issued me all shot pretty good but the ergonomics just didn't work for my smaller hands. BTW, at 1000 rds your Glock is just getting broken in! Enjoy your Glock 34 they are great guns and are usually very accurate!
    GhostMaker likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Easy8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    N FT Myers, FL
    Posts
    2,656
    Try the CZ Duty you will like it better than both under 500
    PaulRevered and virg like this.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Zralou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    When you say it failed to return to battery, do you mean that it was slightly out of battery, or that the slide completely locked back? Because unless the slide completely locked back, as far as I'm aware, the slide lock wouldn't have anything to do with the slide returning to battery.
    It stayed in slide lock.

    gottabkiddin
    Glock verses Taurus.


    Seriously....






    IMO, there's no comparison.
    Yes, seriously.... There is a comparison, I just did one..... It was a personal viewpoint of two large frame 9mm guns I own.

    Sara Lou

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,450
    Years ago, one of my LGS's called me up one day to say that he "had the gun for me". When I got there he handed me a Taurus 1911 and insisted that I try out the trigger.

    After I pushed aside the notion that he must think that I'm a complete tool, he said that he had just got it in, had never had before, and that it had the most features for that price, bar none.

    The trigger was light and had zero creep. It really was wonderful. I have no doubt it would have shot fine. However, I take more things into consideration than just a good range day when selecting a firearm. Reputation for reliability has become key for me. I've played with less-than-premium stuff and have learned the difference over time. Yes, any brand will have models that fail, but some brands have more that fail than others, and Taurus is one of those brands.

    I have no doubt that there are many Taurus's out there that have proven themselves to be good and reliable. My Dad had a .357 that was just fine. I just don't care to roll the dice.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array GhostMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,621
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    The PT-92's and Berreta 92 that Uncle Sam issued me all shot pretty good but the ergonomics just didn't work for my smaller hands. BTW, at 1000 rds your Glock is just getting broken in! Enjoy your Glock 34 they are great guns and are usually very accurate!
    I agree completely...the G34 is a fine sidearm and 1000 rounds is nothing for Glock's "Tactical Tupperware".
    U.S. Army Desert Storm Veteran
    Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Former US Customs Blue Lighting Strike Force Commissioned Officer
    Advanced Highway Drug Interdiction Specialist
    Graduate Regional Counter Drug Training Academy
    Graduate of Bullet Proof Mind Course - (Dave Grossman Course)

  12. #11
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,459
    I have a Taurus PT-92 that I bought in the early 90's and it has proven itself time and again. I bought to go with my Duty Beretta M9.

    It is packed up in my Bug-Out bag. I don't shoot it much anymore but I am confident in it. I have a PT-111 that is a fine pistol also and it has given me zero problems, but I do not expect it to survive 10,000's of rounds.

    I have a Taurus 605 that I carry almost as much as my S&W 65 and I trust my life with it.

    I bought them all when I had a need and the price was right.

    All of that being said I doubt that I will buy another Taurus. Now with some education and Gunbroker you can find quality used guns for the same price or cheaper than a new Taurus.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Years ago, one of my LGS's called me up one day to say that he "had the gun for me". When I got there he handed me a Taurus 1911 and insisted that I try out the trigger.

    After I pushed aside the notion that he must think that I'm a complete tool, he said that he had just got it in, had never had before, and that it had the most features for that price, bar none.

    The trigger was light and had zero creep. It really was wonderful. I have no doubt it would have shot fine. However, I take more things into consideration than just a good range day when selecting a firearm. Reputation for reliability has become key for me. I've played with less-than-premium stuff and have learned the difference over time. Yes, any brand will have models that fail, but some brands have more that fail than others, and Taurus is one of those brands.

    I have no doubt that there are many Taurus's out there that have proven themselves to be good and reliable. My Dad had a .357 that was just fine. I just don't care to roll the dice.
    This hits the nail on the head for me... I have confidence in the one Taurus I have left, but I wouldn't trade that one for another just like it because I'm not crazy about the odds of getting another reliable one. Just like Hyundai makes some seemingly reliable cars now, I still think the odds of getting a lemon are higher than if you bought a Toyota.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array Zralou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Just like Hyundai makes some seemingly reliable cars now, I still think the odds of getting a lemon are higher than if you bought a Toyota.
    If I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago Toyota's had a serious recall on their vehicles.

    Sara Lou

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Brad426's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    If I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago Toyota's had a serious recall on their vehicles.

    Sara Lou
    Yep, and sometimes Glocks have issues. I'm a play the odds sorta guy, though.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

  16. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Just like Hyundai makes some seemingly reliable cars now, I still think the odds of getting a lemon are higher than if you bought a Toyota.

    LOL, much like S&W, Toyota ain't like it use to be........but it is because they have a good reputation that their manufacturing problems become news, and they seem to correct them after a few bad years
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

accurate shooting glock or taurus

,

any problems with taurus pt840 g3 ??

,

any problems with taurus pt840 gen3??

,

glock 34 vs taurus pt 92

,

glock vs taurus

,

glocks have just as many problems as taurus

,

taurus 800 vs glock

,

taurus just as good as glock

,

taurus pt111 military use

,

taurus pt840 decocker problems

,

taurus pt92 bug out

,

what shoots better glock or taures

Click on a term to search for related topics.