what should i get next?

This is a discussion on what should i get next? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well im 28 and i purchased my first handgun about 5 months ago. a beretta px4 storm 9mm about a month later i got a ...

Thread: what should i get next?

what should i get next?

well im 28 and i purchased my first handgun about 5 months ago. a beretta px4 storm 9mm about a month later i got a ruger mark III 22 pistol for my wife. i also got my ccw here in alabama about a month ago and have been carrying in a iwb from highnoon holsters. well im trying to decide what to get next i have my eye on a few things but i cant make up my mind as to what the best move is or what makes the most sense. id really like a pistol in 45acp and have looking at the xd 45 compact. have also been thinking about a shotgun and the remington 870 marine magnum has caught my eye althought a shiny barrel has bothered me a little i just found out there is a newer one coming out with a black barrel called the marine magnum 870 xcs. And then there is the rifles AR's galore and other oddities like the ps90 and fs2000.

i figure since ive already got one pistol that i should diversify by getting a long gun. but which to get. my paranoia says the AR since the possibity of a new ban is looming in the future at some unknown point.

Cost is an issue as well. 600-700 isnt to big a deal for christmas, but ar's, and ps90's cant really be had at those prices, so it would be back to saving if i wanted to spend more. so what do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum.

You can pick up a great AR from DPMS AR15 Lite in the 600 to 700 range. My friend bought one and it works great!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Welcome From Texas. Get what catches your eye.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

What do you want the gun to do? For me, purpose drives gear.

Plinking? Defense? Sport? Exercise your 2A rights?

What will the main mission of this gun be?
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Quote Originally Posted by ShackleMeNot View Post
    What do you want the gun to do? For me, purpose drives gear.

Plinking? Defense? Sport? Exercise your 2A rights?

What will the main mission of this gun be?
    Bingo! Decide what your intention for the next purchase will be and then go from there.

Buying a basketball ain't gonna help ya if you intend to play hockey...

Oh, and welcome!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Welcome from the 'Keystone State' Pennsylvania

What to get? What feels right ...looks right ...and seems right!!!!!!
    The Second Amendment ...The Original Homeland Security..NRA ...
    "to make money is great ...to make friends is greater ...to make both is the greatest" ...Rege Cordic
    "the first task of doing good is to avoid doing bad"...The Bancroft Strategy

[

A new CCW permit and wants a .45...

I take it you have been carrying the Beretta PX4 9mm on your new CCW permit. That will certainly work, although the PX4 is a full size gun, based on my recent handling of one in the gun store. Given your desire for a .45, maybe you should think about something in that caliber that is small enough to be easily concealable.

Eventually you will probably want a 1911, as most of us do, and this type of gun with a barrel length of about 4 inches and aluminum frame is very concealable, given its very slim profile and weight of about 27 ounces. This could satisfy your .45 cravings for awhile. The Kimber Pro Carry or Springfield lightweight Champion are both good alternatives that would just about fit in your stated budget. One of my favorite carry setups is this Kimber CDP Pro in a horsehide holster:

For firearms purchases, here is a website that may interest you.
    I picked this Shotgun page because of the Mossberg Maverick shown here. It is Texas made and a clone of the Mossy 500 without the wood, it has synthetic stocks. Barrels are the same so 1 basic Shottie with 2 bbls (or more) can handle all your shotgun needs.

They also sell handguns and long rifles. The good thing is that there stores all over Birmingham, so you can 'fondle' their selection.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...nting/shotguns
    Life is too short to be serious!

yea the px4 has conceals ok. but it is a bit large and the grip tends to stick out a bit if i bend the wrong way depending on clothing.

purpose is hard to define as i guess i want something that has self defense value but is also fun. and of course excercising 2A.

at this point i think im gonna go with the ar. im thinking about getting one of these uppers and maybe in a month buying a lower for it. i really wanted an sbr but its a bit more costly plus i suppose itll take a while to figure out how to do all the paperwork and stuff.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=386304

although im not sure what woudl be better. the DD9.0 rail or the DD12.0?

beyond completing an ar15 i dont knwo when ill be able to purchase another firearm as convincing my wife is a pain. she shoots too but shes not as into as me. so it could be 4-6 months before i make another purchase.

Links