hi-standard

This is a discussion on hi-standard within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a hi-standard model h-d military. It is 80% at least outside but it has the common recoil spring,rod,cup problem going on. Anyone who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: hi-standard

hi-standard

I have a hi-standard model h-d military. It is 80% at least outside but it has the common recoil spring,rod,cup problem going on. Anyone who is into hi-standard will know what I am talking about. Is there any place to get good parts these days? Also any site that would have a view and instructions on the correct way to field strip or even better totally strip and assemble this model. It is the model with hammer of course and has a screw in front of trigger guard not the button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    I have a hi-standard model h-d military. It is 80% at least outside but it has the common recoil spring,rod,cup problem going on. Anyone who is into hi-standard will know what I am talking about. Is there any place to get good parts these days? Also any site that would have a view and instructions on the correct way to field strip or even better totally strip and assemble this model. It is the model with hammer of course and has a screw in front of trigger guard not the button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Have you considered contacting Hi Standard for the info you need?
    Weapons
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes. First idea I had. No response yet.

I went to the High Standard site and saw no revolvers. My HS is a wheelgun. I've had it about 20 years.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

...from the OLD High Standard...which one do you have?
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...from the OLD High Standard...which one do you have?
    I have a Sentinel Deluxe 9 shot 22 SA/DA w/5" barrel.

It's my favorite revolver.
    Snub44 and LtBlue425 like this.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

...I taught myself to shoot revolver putting a 500-rd brick of shorts through my 4" blue Sentinel Deluxe every weekend...I've had 'em long, short, blue, nickel, and rust...looking for another 4" blue and 2 3/8" snub blue again...have two snubs located but can't get the customers to part with 'em...yet!!!
    ...actually had a fine gunsmith Cal Duke do a trigger job on my first one...it was hot butter-smooth...I paid $41.50 for the gun new...had my Mama sign for it...it was a dream...
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

...the original High Standard went out of business in '84...only ones I ever had that I didn't like were the nickel .22mag derringer and the Mk IV 3" nickel .22Mag...both had horrid triggers...I even tried the DuraMatic....22LR Semiauto...and one SportKing...just din't like buyin' all that 'spensive ammo...LRHP was 75 cents a box for Remington red/white box...

...forgot the link: http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

...now I gotta go hunt up OD*'s source...I'm hooked on HS like a kid on candy!!!
    Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by pignut View Post
    John J. Stimson is the man to ask about Hi-Standards.
    Snub44, Aceoky and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member
    Numrich is a good place to look for hard to find parts.

Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts

...I don't know if the new company owns the patents on the old revolvers and semiauto .22s, but if they'd re-introduce them at twice the price they sold for the first go-around, and produce them with the same QUALITY...they couldn't produce them fast enough to keep up...they were the shootinest inexpensive guns I've ever seen!!! I've paid as high as $250 for a used one in the past 10 years...
    Aceoky and 1 old 0311 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The H-Ds or "Hammered Models" are quite desireable in some circles. I'd sure like to have one to go along with this.

HighStandardMilweb.jpg

As OD* mentioned John Stinson is the man on High Standard
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

+1 on Numrich

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I taught myself to shoot revolver putting a 500-rd brick of shorts through my 4" blue Sentinel Deluxe every weekend...I've had 'em long, short, blue, nickel, and rust...looking for another 4" blue and 2 3/8" snub blue again...have two snubs located but can't get the customers to part with 'em...yet!!!
    ...actually had a fine gunsmith Cal Duke do a trigger job on my first one...it was hot butter-smooth...I paid $41.50 for the gun new...had my Mama sign for it...it was a dream...

...the original High Standard went out of business in '84...only ones I ever had that I didn't like were the nickel .22mag derringer and the Mk IV 3" nickel .22Mag...both had horrid triggers...I even tried the DuraMatic....22LR Semiauto...and one SportKing...just din't like buyin' all that 'spensive ammo...LRHP was 75 cents a box for Remington red/white box...

...forgot the link: High Standard Sentinel

...now I gotta go hunt up OD*'s source...I'm hooked on HS like a kid on candy!!!
    I just spent a good half hour on the Sentinel site you provided Snub44 and I thank you for it. Turns out my Sentinel is of the R-106 line which began production in April 1965 (when I was 12). I couldn't figure out for sure but I surmise this model was produced from 1965 to 1967. The serial number is pretty high so I'd guesstimate it came out in '66 or '67.

Until about an hour ago the frame has always been a mystery to me as to the material used and or finish. Turns out thanks to Snub44 the frame is aluminum. One of the things I've enjoyed about this gun is like some pistols made currently it has a clearly 2 tone finish. The frame is a flat black. Whereas the cylinder, barrel, trigger and hammer are blued tho to me the bluing looks more like a shiny black. Considering the age of this revolver I would put the finish and overall condition at NRA Very Good. It has some slight wear at the muzzle at 9 and 3 o'clock presumably from holster wear. I've never had a lick of trouble with it and enjoyed shooting it over the years.

The holster I have for it was made for the Sentinel Deluxe. Warshal's Sporting Goods of Seattle WA (of which I have some fond memories for) made the holster. It's a fine example of a leather holster. None of that fancy tooling like some leather work has. I picked up the holster just 2 or 3 tables from where I traded for the revolver for the righteous price of 10 bucks. I've always figured I had about $110 into the whole rig. My best recollection is I got both at a small local gun show in 1994.

One of the best features I've found in this wheel gun is it eats ammo my semi auto pistols and carbines cough and choke on. This Old Girl ain't picky and that's a good thing.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

Hey I have one of those as well!
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Numrich is a good place to look for hard to find parts.

Firearm Parts & Accessories | Military Surplus | Numrich Gun Parts
    Holy crapola Batman....I just checked the price of a 7R mag for the Llama 380 1911 and they want $43 each. Boy howdy I'm glad I bought 3 extra mags back in 2005 when they were $17-19 each.

Tho it was a long time ago Numrich got my mags to me pretty quick. HUA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links