SIg DA/SA Drills

This is a discussion on SIg DA/SA Drills within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a P226 with the DA/SA trigger. First, I love this gun. Second, are there some drills I could do to help me ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By mcp1810
  • 1 Post By BigPony
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: SIg DA/SA Drills

SIg DA/SA Drills

I picked up a P226 with the DA/SA trigger. First, I love this gun. Second, are there some drills I could do to help me transition from the DA to the next shots in SA?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Just shooting it is the best drill. I suggest 2 shots at a time - not double-taps, but 2 discrete shots, then decock, and repeat. You get a lot of 'transition' practice that way. And don't fall into the mindset that the first shot is a throwaway because of the DA-to-SA shift!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ... don't fall into the mindset that the first shot is a throwaway because of the DA-to-SA shift!
    I was leaning that way, but thought, hey stupid don't waste that shot!

Practice practice practice.

The longer you do it the less you notice it.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I don't know why, and this may be really weird to some and puzzling to me, but I have found my first shot DA (sig229) is more accurate than my second (SA) shot!!! My usual carry is a 1911 which makes it even more a puzzler to me.

It is really not the big deal people make it out to be. Shoot it enough and you just get used to it.
    Doghandler likes this.

Just shooting it is the best drill. I suggest 2 shots at a time - not double-taps, but 2 discrete shots, then decock, and repeat. You get a lot of 'transition' practice that way. And don't fall into the mindset that the first shot is a throwaway because of the DA-to-SA shift!
    Sound advice. Take it and do it. Anything can be accomplished with the right technique. And that is it.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Looks like we're all on the same page so far at least.

That DA trigger will get better with use but the cartoonish character will never go away. It ain't no revolver. You'll just have to get used to it.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by kaikane0812 View Post
    I don't know why, and this may be really weird to some and puzzling to me, but I have found my first shot DA (sig229) is more accurate than my second (SA) shot!!! My usual carry is a 1911 which makes it even more a puzzler to me.
    How fast are you shooting? I see that sometimes when the first shot breaks just as the sights are "on target". In the split second before the next shot you make subconscious adjustments to grip and sight alignment or something like that.
    Doghandler

That really good advice because it incorporates decocker training too which is just as important as trigger control in my mind.

Decock forward slide stop rear!
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    I picked up a P226 with the DA/SA trigger. First, I love this gun. Second, are there some drills I could do to help me transition from the DA to the next shots in SA?

Thanks
    I also have a P226 that I practice with. Another DC member, Tangle, told me that in a gunfight three shots are usually fired which means that one third of your practice shots should be in DA. I usually shoot 15 to 20 rounds straight in DA only. Now, believe or not, my DA groupings are better than the DA/SA shots. I think that is because the trigger squeeze is longer in DA and I don't rush the shot (which is a surprise when it breaks). I have more confidence in my DA shot than any other!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bingo! Learn to shoot DA. Then the following SA becomes all the easier. People who complain they can't gat the DA/SA thing haven't tried.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Bingo! Learn to shoot DA. Then the following SA becomes all the easier. People who complain they can't gat the DA/SA thing haven't tried.

This! Oh and what gasmitty, and Glockman10mm say.

I don't have any DA/SA pistols on hand but am warming up to the notion the more I consider it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links