What do you use your AR-15 for?

This is a discussion on What do you use your AR-15 for? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good afternoon everyone. After much debate, mostly with my self, I'm looking at getting an AR-15. My LGS has a PSA for 800$. Here's my ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What do you use your AR-15 for?

What do you use your AR-15 for?

Good afternoon everyone. After much debate, mostly with my self, I'm looking at getting an AR-15. My LGS has a PSA for 800$. Here's my question though. If I buy one, what can I do with it? Other than taking it to the range obviously. Home defense wise I have several pistols with "high capacity" magazines. So, while I know the decision is ultimately my own, I'd like to hear people's opinions
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I use mine for range plinking, competition, HD and woodchuck extermination. The main purpose though is for SHTF insurance. $800 is a very cheap life insurance policy that may save your life someday and ,heck, if you never need it then it was just a fun range toy.

They are fun to shoot, the libs hate them, ammo is cheap and they make a great HD gun. There really is no downside.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

In the past, the AR 15 kept here was used for some high-power competition, mostly for my sons to shoot at a local match when they were young. My wife also shot it some too in a few matches and I dabbled with it. In more recent times it sees some informal plinking use to 200 yards on our old home place and also is occasionally carried in the pickup or slung on the shoulder for personal protection while on the old home place due to the remoteness of the locale. It comes in for its share of .223 handloading fun and bench rest time when I'm in the mood.
    EdJean and OD* like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    What do I use mine for? Something to pile money into like lights, lasers, mags, sights etc. Seriously, I have an AR that I have never shot. Why did I buy it? I thought it was a neat looking firearm at the time and I wanted to learn more about the AR platform. It was what I guess would be called and educational purchase. And to that end I did learn a lot about the mechanics and operation and I admit that adding different things to it gave me a bit of satisfaction.

The place I have to shoot is only about 4k sqft. so it only good for a pistol so the AR sleeps in its case. I still consider it well worth the financial outlay if nothing but for the educational value. Mine is a DPMS Oracle.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Coyotes, crows, armadillos,dogs and an occasional cat.

Every now and then I'll pull one out of my car and point it at someone acting stupid, but that doesn't happen much really.
    bigmacque and OD* like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I use mine for range plinking, competition, HD and woodchuck extermination. The main purpose though is for SHTF insurance. $800 is a very cheap life insurance policy that may save your life someday and ,heck, if you never need it then it was just a fun range toy.

They are fun to shoot, the libs hate them, ammo is cheap and they make a great HD gun. There really is no downside.
    An insurance policy unlike most that you can resell and get money back. I don't even get a thank you as my insurance co rapes me.
    OD*, NONAME762, Pinot and 3 others like this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

It can be good for home defense. Regarding how, I'll defer to Massad Ayoob, as I often do.

"The handgun is the easiest of all firearms to retain, one-handed, and that does leave a hand free. If you need to go mobile for any reason, I prefer the handgun. If we’ve counted noses and everyone is here in the safe room with me, and the bad guys are kicking in the bedroom door, now I’d like to have something more substantial than a handgun, and that’s where the AR-15, the Mini-14, the shotgun come in."
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I use mine to entice those who have never before experienced the adrenaline rush of shooting a black rifle to come to the dark side. (as in rifle color)

So far it's worked 9 out of 10 times. One 30 round mag and a target missing the x is all it usually takes to plant a semi permanent grin on their faces.

And the other standard chores, home defense, vermin, drones.......
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I use mine for table decor. Makes a great conversation piece.

I typically use my AR15 to put a smile on my face when I think about how much the antis hate them.

My boys used a .223 AR to shoot their first deer last fall.
    A regular youth stock would not fit them, but the adjustable stock on an AR allowed proper fit.
    The semi-auto action in combination with the .223 caliber produced a recoil level tolerable for repeat practice sessions.
    They used my handload, a Nosler 60 gr. Partition at about 2,800 fps out of the 16'' barrel.
    Both were one shot kills and both were taken from a ground blind at 15 yards or less.

First deer.jpg

first buck resized.jpg
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Mine gets used for anything my pistols can not do...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I use my 2 ar's they make great door stoppers on windy days. put it this way its better to have it when you don't need it, than not have it when you realy need it. Just my thought.

VIP Member
    The groundhog population of Grand Prairie township has been significantly reduced over the past thirty years courtesy of my AR, now in the possession of my son.
    HotGuns and atctimmy like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I use mine as a malnourished decoration for my safe.

All the good reasons were already spoken for.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Thanks for all the comments. Pictures will be posted shortly :)
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links