Best Scope for 1000yds

Best Scope for 1000yds

This is a discussion on Best Scope for 1000yds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am planning on pushing my Remington 700 pss 308 to 1000 yards and need a scope for it. Hoping to stay under 500. Will ...

Thread: Best Scope for 1000yds

Best Scope for 1000yds

I am planning on pushing my Remington 700 pss 308 to 1000 yards and need a scope for it. Hoping to stay under 500. Will need to be able to see 12x12 inch plate at 1000 with it!
    Jabraun

A Night Force benchrest series scope ... that is, if you kill the seller and hide the body in the basement. Wouldn't kick one of those out of the stable. But, of course it's gonna be significantly higher than $500, even used and abused; plus, the "dumping" costs.

</joking>

Take a look at the Vortex scopes. Several of their models are ~$500 or under, and they might do from 600-1000yds. Personally, I'd prefer a bit greater magnification, but it depends on how much your eyes need @ 1000yds. Example: Vortex Optics HS LR 6-24x50mm. A tad over $500.

If you'd prefer a "name" scope, perhaps one of the Leupold "competition" scopes might suit you. Example: Leupold FX-3 Silhouette 30x40mm. Haven't done any more than sight one (haven't shot), but the couple of folks I have known to use these seem to love them. The FX-3 30x40mm is ~$650 or so.

Nikon's Monarch 8-32x50 ED can be found for under $600. Haven't seen them used, but a pre-owned example ought to be nearer your $500 mark.

Some ideas: 1000yd Benchrest Competition @ AccurateShooter.com (6mmbr); and Optics @ AccurateShooter.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Used leupold on ebay

If you want a scope that will do 1000 yards properly for under $500, start shopping around for used glass. You'll be wanting a 50mm objective lens at the very least, and probably magnification of 18X or more.

Understand that if you cheap out on glass, the "maximum" magnification of the scope you buy will not be truly usable. Lower end scopes tend to "brown out" when their magnification is cranked right up. Also, understand that cheaper scope may not offer the elevation range you need to get out that far. Also consider the base you are putting it on - you might want a 20 MOA base.

For my money (and I bought this sort of scope last year) I would want something in the range of 8-32X56mm. I think that Sightron offers great value for the money - I bought one of their SIII offerings when I built up my 700.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    Understand that if you cheap out on glass, the "maximum" magnification of the scope you buy will not be truly usable. Lower end scopes tend to "brown out" when their magnification is cranked right up.
    ^ This.

I've had low-end Vortex CrossFire 6-24x50mm that essentially went a bit darker, and just a tad blurry, at max magnification @ 600yds+. Nice scope, just not designed for ultra-clarity at 500yds and out, despite the magnification.

OP, if you can double your budget for optics, I think you'll be far happier in the long run. 1000yds can be rough, with marginal glass.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 20th, 2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links