Painting Your Firearms

This is a discussion on Painting Your Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I will be buying the wife her AR15 here in about a week (S&W M&P15 sport). Only catch is that it has to be ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: Painting Your Firearms

Painting Your Firearms

Well I will be buying the wife her AR15 here in about a week (S&W M&P15 sport). Only catch is that it has to be pink. Seeing how these dont come from the factory in pink, go figure, I'm looking at disassembly and painting everything except the barrel in her preferred shade of pink. I've seen some of the accessory kits around that are already pink but I think she's gonna like the outcome of painting it instead.

So heres the question: Anyone painted any of they're firearms before? Any particular primer/paint to suggest? Anything to avoid like the plague? Anything externally I should avoid painting?

Thanks y'all!

-Kyle

2. Remove Ads

I have never done it but it seems duracoat or cerekoat is the way to go if you want something that will last. Both are made specificaly for firearms. Spray paint is okay if you use the right stuff (I think the high temp stuff for grills).
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

Hi Kyle. While I have not done any coating of my rifles, I did have my Shield slide KG-GunKote'd. My opinion is that either KG-GunKote, Duracoat, etc. is the way to go. Here is link that shows my slide turned my shield two-tone

I had a professional do it and it was very reasonable and turn around time was pretty straightforward.

Just my 2 cents....
    http://webpages.charter.net/jlevitan1/
    "Welcome to my home. That door you just kicked in was locked for YOUR protection, not mine."
    "You threaten my family....."I" am THE first responder"
    "When seconds count....the police are just minutes away"

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Pink plastic is easy to swap out, plus you can change it back if you ever want to sell. You may even be able to find an anodized pink lower (or just rattle can your lower).

Senior Moderator
    Women love pink.

I have one right now that is being painted pink. Since I don't really have the time or the inclination to paint, I've got to where I just farm it out.

Its a Sig Mosquito top half with a Huntertown Arms suppressor being painted "hot pink". That's not a combination that you ever see but if it works out, I may offer some silencers in the hot pink color.

When I get it back, I'll post a picture of it here just for grins.

Want to paint? Easiest way is to use DuraCoat. Its tough, its durable and it holds up very well. Get an airbrush and do it. Look up DuraCoat here...

Manufacturer of DuraCoat Firearm Finishes:
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you want something 'state of the art' in gun graphics look into 'Hydrographics.

Take a moment and look at these very cool designs. Look at the handgun @0.30 AR @ 1:25 or the rifle @ 2:17

They are also durable.

The wood grain on the wood trim in most cars, like cadillac for example, are done using hydrographics as well as many gun stocks currently on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-Nfo5fo-k
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I'm pretty shocked you guys to be honest. I wasn't really expecting a market on this kind of stuff.

Have you tried google. There are a lot of places out there that will put on coatings of all colors.

I would be slightly uncomfortable leaving her rifle behind in a shop to have it painted, as I'm sure is understandable. Is painting a "couple hours kind of deal" or "multiple coats, heat dried each time" kind of deal?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    TZ Armoury is a member here and will coat your rifle for you. DR
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Duracoat. its the best DIY paint for firearms, ive panted my AR my T3 and a few handguns, its the bees knees. My AR took all of 6 hours with three different colors. I love it.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Haven't done my AR but I did rattle-can my 700P with Krylon, which I need to re-do. If you choose the DIY route be sure to wipe it down good with some mineral spirits or denatured alcohol.

The beauty of Krylon is you can remove it rather easily if you want a different pattern/color.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Links