ATF Opens Comments To Public For Changes to Form 1 (make and register)

This is a discussion on ATF Opens Comments To Public For Changes to Form 1 (make and register) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a 60-day notice on Wednesday requesting comments on a proposed change to its Application to Make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: ATF Opens Comments To Public For Changes to Form 1 (make and register)

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives released a 60-day notice on Wednesday requesting comments on a proposed change to its Application to Make and Register a Firearm, Form Number: ATF F 1 (5320.1). The notice is published in the Federal Register for Monday, July 22
    ATF requests public comments on firearm application form - National gun rights | Examiner.com
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member
    How bout 1 month instead of six months.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I got a comment for them... How about they take their NFA and stuff it!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Posting here does no good. Everyone who cares about this, has a thought about it, should submit a personal response per the instructions for providing public comments.

I didn't pay careful attention to the proposed changes. I'm posting solely because we often get participants here
    who complain about government, complain about having no say, and then when they have an opportunity to do something,
    do nothing.

ATF is following the law, the requirements for rule making. Everyone can (depending on their personal wishes)
    respond or not, and state the reasons for their opinion.

If you don't choose to offer up a public comment, well you don't give up your right to moan and groan but you sure missed your opportunity to step up to the plate. You can be certain there will be public comments from people who don't share your viewpoint, whatever it happens to be. So might as well spend 10 minutes or an hour even reading the regs, reading the proposed regs, writing and submitting a thoughtful public comment. That is everyone's right.

Rule making is one of the few places where ordinary folks get a chance to have direct input. Usually, only big lobbying firms
    and special interests bother. That is how we get undesirable rules. We keep our mouths shut. (This is with everything, not just
    regulations involving guns. )
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I got a comment for them... How about they take their NFA and stuff it!
    Direct that to Congress. ATF didn't write the law.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Posting here does no good. Everyone who cares about this, has a thought about it, should submit a personal response per the instructions for providing public comments.

I didn't pay careful attention to the proposed changes. I'm posting solely because we often get participants here
    who complain about government, complain about having no say, and then when they have an opportunity to do something,
    do nothing.

ATF is following the law, the requirements for rule making. Everyone can (depending on their personal wishes)

If you don't choose to offer up a public comment, well you don't give up your right to moan and groan but you sure missed your opportunity to step up to the plate. You can be certain there will be public comments from people who don't share your viewpoint, whatever it happens to be. So might as well spend 10 minutes or an hour even reading the regs, reading the proposed regs, writing and submitting a thoughtful public comment. That is everyone's right.

Rule making is one of the few places where ordinary folks get a chance to have direct input. Usually, only big lobbying firms
    and special interests bother. That is how we get undesirable rules. We keep our mouths shut. (This is with everything, not just
    I made my comment in jest. We both know that they aren't going to increase staffing to cut wait times. : )

Frankly, I don't know enough about the process to offer suggestions. I'm learning about it now though.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I made my comment in jest. We both know that they aren't going to increase staffing to cut wait times. : )

Frankly, I don't know enough about the process to offer suggestions. I'm learning about it now though.
    My remarks were not aimed in any way whatsoever at you or your post. I'm simply pointing out that here is an opportunity
    for ordinary folks to have some input about how things work. If ordinary folks just shut up and do nothing, the only voices
    the Agency will hear from will be special interest voices, often high paid lobbyists or law firms representing various
    corporate points of view, or in this instance perhaps representing organized anti-groups.

This is the case with just about every rule ever made. Yup, they are published in The Federal Register, but few of us
    bother to keep track of what IS published. Usually, unless we are paid to do so, we won't.

Well, here is an example of something which some here will care about, and here also is a 60 day response period
    and the proper place for the responses is not here (though there is nothing wrong with posting them here) but to the
    official who requested the public comments via the posting in The Federal Register.

So, my suggestion would be study the issue, study the old and the new proposed regulation, formulate your views and
    state them succinctly without rancor, and submit them as directed in the announcement.

For those who have never looked at The Federal Register it is quite an enlightening exercise. It is available on the web.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Gary.Schaible@atf.gov <--- That's the guy to send comments to.
    Hopyard likes this.

Yeah right like anything we say might make a licks worth of difference to what ATF wants. Dream on......
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Yeah right like anything we say might make a licks worth of difference to what ATF wants. Dream on......
    I take it that means you won't be participating in the democratic process.

Most proposed rule changes get few responses, and few of those are from the general public.

I don't have a clue (because I haven't looked into this specific proposed rule) if it is one that will garner many responses.
    I do know that if they got only 200 individual responses (not corporate or special interest) it would cause them take notice of what was being said as 200 responses is a lot of public comment--- as things usually go.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Done...

Dear Gary,

My two requests with an updated form 1are as follows:

1) That you find some way to speed up the process. In the digital age I think approval could be shortened to around 30 days.

2) I'd like to eliminate the police chief signature portion. In my opinion the chief does not have a need to know what's in my gun safe (or what's about to be).

Thank you for your consideration,

atctimmy
    dcdalton likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Done...
    Good shot. You might want to do it again though. Mention the specific notice /citation in The Federal Register to which you
    are responding. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-17492.pdf

Address the 4 issues they asked for comment on.

Not picking on you. Just trying to be helpful for those who want some idea about how to do it well.

The process is fairly formal, and in fact I was a bit surprised that they didn't give more specific instructions
    on how to submit the comments.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Good shot. You might want to do it again though. Mention the specific notice /citation in The Federal Register to which you
    are responding. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013...2013-17492.pdf

Address the 4 issues they asked for comment on.

Not picking on you. Just trying to be helpful for those who want some idea about how to do it well.

The process is fairly formal, and in fact I was a bit surprised that they didn't give more specific instructions
    on how to submit the comments.
    Evaluate whether the proposed
    collection of information is necessary
    for the proper performance of the
    functions of the agency, including
    whether the information will have
    practical utility;

—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency’s
    estimate of the burden of the
    proposed collection of information,
    including the validity of the
    methodology and assumptions used;

—Enhance the quality, utility, and
    clarity of the information to be
    collected; and

—Minimize the burden of the collection
    of information on those who are to
    respond, including through the use of
    appropriate automated, electronic,
    mechanical, or other technological
    collection techniques or other forms
    of information technology, e.g.,
    permitting electronic submission of
    responses.
    For others who want to know what Hoppy is talking about.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar

do nothing.

This^^^^^^^^^is wisdom! Make your voice heard whenever you can. Government is a participatory activity and is run by those who show up to do it. Easier done at the planning stage than after it's a done deal.

Senior Moderator
    The ATF had hired 10 contractors back in the summer of last year to help speed up the approval process.
    It did cut the wait times, which were running about 10 months back then to around 6 months.

However, in the process of "sequestration" of certain government entities, would any one care to take a case who got "sequestered"?

That's right. The 10 contractors hired by the ATF.

Did anyone here really think that a rabid anti-gun administration would let that go untouched?

Dealer to dealer transfers, (tax exempt) used to take 2-3 weeks. Now they are running 6 months, effectively adding 6 months to the process.

Of the 10 original examiners that covered the whole U.S., two of them retired and one of them quit, last I heard there were 7 to do the job with a backlog of over 50,000 forms to approve and a hiring freeze upon the whole dept.

For the gun loving fools that voted for Obama, thinking that he wasn't so anti-gun, welcome to reality.

With the recent political tirade about people making their own guns and being able to do it legally and under the radar, who here actually believes that the process will be become easier, rather than more difficult?
    If you do, you haven't been paying attention.

As for the Form 1's the only thing that might change about that is being able to pay for them online. That would be a step in the right direction but only because the ATF is screaming to improve their otherwise outdated and archaic methods of approval.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links