How long do Florida Non Resident Permits take?

This is a discussion on How long do Florida Non Resident Permits take? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm dropping my packet for my Florida Non Resident Permit into the mail tomorrow from NC which means paper finger print cards. Does anyone have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do Florida Non Resident Permits take?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I'm dropping my packet for my Florida Non Resident Permit into the mail tomorrow from NC which means paper finger print cards. Does anyone have a estimate as to long long this process may take? Also because I'm active duty military, I'm submitting a copy of my orders as prove of being familiar with firearms in lieu of taking the Florida class. Do you think it would be wise to submit a copy of my Michigan CPL as a secondary source of documentation to my ability to handle a firearm?

The Michigan CPL is useless to them. If your military paperwork is acceptable to FL to meet their training requirement (I haven't looked but suspect it is), and your application is correct and complete, I'd guess about 8 weeks. My original FL non-resident turn time was about that and my renewals have been about 6-7 weeks (I just renewed earlier this year and it took 46 days.) Be sure the photo you include meets their specs. I've been told it is the #1 thing that gets a non-resident application delayed.

The photo better be, its a passport photo

No such thing as a Florida 'non-resident' permit. In fact, the newer FL permit does not even have an address on it...your driver's license determines if it's a resident or non-resident.
    This means nothing in FL, but there are about five other states that do not recognize permits people have from states where they do not live.
    Florida does not recognize non-resident permits either, except for the ones it issues to people from out of state...go figure.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    No such thing as a Florida 'non-resident' permit. In fact, the newer FL permit does not even have an address on it...your driver's license determines if it's a resident or non-resident.
    This means nothing in FL, but there are about five other states that do not recognize permits people have from states where they do not live.
    Florida does not recognize non-resident permits either, except for the ones it issues to people from out of state...go figure.
    Do they honor permits from other states that honor their permit ??? If you are a resident of that state
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I'm dropping my packet for my Florida Non Resident Permit into the mail tomorrow from NC which means paper finger print cards. Does anyone have a estimate as to long long this process may take? Also because I'm active duty military, I'm submitting a copy of my orders as prove of being familiar with firearms in lieu of taking the Florida class. Do you think it would be wise to submit a copy of my Michigan CPL as a secondary source of documentation to my ability to handle a firearm?
    It took me about 30 days to get my Florida permit (I am a South Dakota resident). It took my husband about 90 days because they asked for additional docs. We applied after taking a CC course and sent in the application, course certificate and fingerprint cardsl via snail mail to Florida. They returned our cards via snail mail to our SD address.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes. Must be a resident of the state that issued the permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I applied and paid for my Florida permit in April.......... still waiting.

I think mine took 70 days give or take a few. I even posted it here but can't find it now, I did fingerprint cards also & DD 214.
    I hope yours is faster, God Bless.
    Last edited by Primalgunner; July 25th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Do they honor permits from other states that honor their permit ??? If you are a resident of that state
    Your answer is here...
    Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by RegasAZ View Post
    I applied and paid for my Florida permit in April.......... still waiting.
    You can call or check here...
    CW Status Search - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It should be about 90 days..

I thought Michigan and Florida and reciprocity ? What would be the advantage of getting a Florida non-res if you already have reciprocity ?
    Not trying to hijack here, just curious >?

I applied for mine in January, I received it 63 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap03 View Post
    It should be about 90 days..

I thought Michigan and Florida and reciprocity ? What would be the advantage of getting a Florida non-res if you already have reciprocity ?
    Not trying to hijack here, just curious >?
    1. I'm active duty Army in NC. If for what ever reason my Michigan permit expires, I will still be able to carry on a Florida one. 2. I'm not going to carry it in my wallet, so if I lose my wallet or it is stolen I will not be completely out until I can replace my Michigan one. 3. I carry when I run and ruck, again for what ever reason I lose it and cant find it I'm not out. 4. I'm going to be stationed back in Florida in the next year or so, once I do, I can get a Florida ID card and have two resident permits. Per Title 10 USC, active duty military members are afforded resident status of the state they are stationed in while on orders. 5. My wife is from Florida, and I intend to retire there in the next 5 years or just as soon as Uncle Sam will allow me to retire with benefits thus changing my residency and voiding my Michigan permit. On a side note, since I'm active duty I didn't have to spend the money on the class so $112 is money well spent.

I filed in person in FL for a resident CCW June 24th. Still waiting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links