IPDA Question

This is a discussion on IPDA Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about entering one of these matches (totaly ignorant) The rule book says that your pistol must be concealable from all sides. What ...

Thread: IPDA Question

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

IPDA Question

I've been thinking about entering one of these matches (totaly ignorant)

The rule book says that your pistol must be concealable from all sides.

What does that really mean, and what do people normaly shoot in these? Can you wear a jacket?

Does anyone shoot 1911s or full frame autos, or are they considered too large?
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

YouTube "idpa" and you'll figure it out.

concealed means covered by a shirt or vest - not in the real world sense of concealed - and yes loads of full size are used

before you attend a match make sure you read the local ranges rules as it pertains to hot/cold ranges and the IDPA/USPSA rules of when and where you can handle your firearm.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Jaeger, you're not going to regret checking out IDPA. I've met some great folks there and gotten some indispensable information about concealed carry from them.
    You raise some good questions about holsters and gun types. I would suggest you check out the website for our group in N. Florida, it's called Firstcoastidpa.com. Look under the "new shooters" tab and it will answer many of your questions. Bottom line, though, is definitely look for a group in your area. There's a very good chance you'll get hooked after one visit.

I shoot my 1911 often. Just did last Sunday, as a matter of fact.

I've run SIG 229s, 226s, 220s, Glock 19s, 32s, 31s, M&P 9s, M&P 357 SIGs, an XDm 9mm, and a 442 j frame once.

Not really a racegun deal. Considering the acronym (especially the DP part), most hanguns will be allowed. Your particular gun will be in a subdivision, depending on what it is.

Be warned: IDPA is addicting.

Forgot to mention it's a really good idea to just go and watch a match - you can learn a lot and avoid a lot of stress on your first day out. Ask questions, most people are more than willing to share.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

When I joined IDPA they sent you a really good and informative DVD titled, "Make Ready"with your welcome package. Don't know if they still do or not? It will answer many of your questions on safety, gear, scoring, etc.

The majority of IDPA shooters at my club use a vest and Kydex / injection molded holsters. The intended purpose of IDPA is to use your everyday CCW gear but since it's really just a game, many don't use "everything" they actually use for their EDC.

Small of the back, appendix carry, cross draw are not permitted in IDPA, only belt holsters on the strong side. Cover garment has to conceal your weapon with your arms stretched out perpendicular to your body. The range is cold until your up and the S.O. says, "shooter make ready".

It's fun and does help maintain your shooting skills under some pressure.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member
    Just recently started going and shooting IDPA matches = Great time! I went and watched first then have been going ever since. I just went with a button down shirt for my cover garment. I thought about getting a vest but gave up on it (never had a vest, not interested in one, even just for IDPA ). Good people, good fun and good practice. First time I ever shot - while moving, from cover, sitting down, multiple targets, moving targets ect. And none of that was too difficult, but learned A TON doing it.

One thing I did learn was to get a shirt that is made of thicker/heavier material. When I used a light shirt it would flap around and wrap up in my arm or around the pistol making the draw more difficult. A good heavy weight shirt will swing out of the way and be better for the draw.

To half way quote someone I read on here about going to IDPA - just get out there and do it! You won't regret it, you'll just regret waiting so long to actually go and do it.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links