Lusting for an M9

This is a discussion on Lusting for an M9 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought my Beretta Px4 storm full size 9mm after reading up on it and thinking it was the end result of 500 years of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Lusting for an M9

Lusting for an M9

I bought my Beretta Px4 storm full size 9mm after reading up on it and thinking it was the end result of 500 years of gun manufacturing. At a little under $600 with tax, it was in my budget too. The gun has been great. No problems at all period. 100% reliable with no issues at all. Yet, I'm really wishing I'd have gone with the M9. I love the military heritage of it and the fact that it is made in the USA. Even though it is really close to the 92FS, I like how it is an M9 and is serial numbered accordingly. I have bills and obligations that really prohibit me from having more than one full size 9mm with a clear conscience so I'm looking to trade/sell the Storm in for it. Am I crazy? Can anybody talk me out of this? Can you give me some good reasons why the M9 isn't so great?

Do any of you go through that?
    "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Full size Beretta 9mm Px4 Storm / Ruger LC9 with Lasermax / Auto Ordnance 1911 A1 45 / Chiappa 1911-22 / Stevens 320 Shotgun / 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 / Laserlyte Target Trainer

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    M9 is pretty bulky IMO. thats what we used in the Navy and its perfectly fine for OC but CC i think you'd have a harder time doing. its bulky and heavy, but im used to mouse guns. i loved shooting it when i was in the navy, but that is the only pistol we had to use too, so it was more forced on us. its a pretty comfortable gun to shoot just gotta watch for the beretta bite. over the 8 years i was in the navy i shot the M9 many times. it is easy to learn with, i got my expert pistol shooter medal with it the first time i used it. of the 1000's of rounds i probably shot out of different M9s i only recall having one stovepipe in it, but we were issued different guns each time we armed up. i would love to get one too but i have plenty of other guns i would like to get first that are cheaper and make more sense. if/when i get one it will be much further down the road when im happy with my CC, SD, hunting guns an looking for something else.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I have a 92FS and no you're not crazy. If you want to carry it concealed you're probably looking in the wrong place though. The commercial M9 has the two-dot sights on it since they claim that's the way they were issued (when I deployed the M9 I carried had the three-dot sights). The 92FS has the three-dot sights on it, which I find pick up much better, so I went with that over the commercial M9. Not to mention the 92FS was a bit less expensive and the only difference other than the sights is the rollmark on the side. FWIW...I think the 92FS/M9 is a better pistol than the Storm. That's subjective though.

You guys are making it worse. Now I want one even more!!! Good to know about the 92 FS.

BTW--When I finally get my license, my CC will be my LC9 Ruger. I want the Beretta for home protection, OC and the range.
    "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Full size Beretta 9mm Px4 Storm / Ruger LC9 with Lasermax / Auto Ordnance 1911 A1 45 / Chiappa 1911-22 / Stevens 320 Shotgun / 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 / Laserlyte Target Trainer

The only M9's I've used have been rode hard and put away wet. I've never fired a new one. Funny thing is I have yet to find one with a properly functioning safety! Soldiers are rough on these things. I thought about getting one for my wife. She likes the lack of recoil on the 92FS. I may get her a M9 someday.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I've been carrying one most days for 19 years. It's very bulky and clunky for a 15rd 9mm. It's an old design, but not great old. Just old. For the money there are much better options out there.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    ...The commercial M9 has the two-dot sights on it since they claim that's the way they were issued (when I deployed the M9 I carried had the three-dot sights)...
    the ones we had also had 3 dot sights

Bob2.0 nice choice on the LC9 for CC. since you want this for HD, OC and range it is good, but i would go with bigger caliber since you will already have a 9mm. if you dont want to go with a larger caliber than this is an awesome gun. like i said its very comfortable despite being bulky and heavy. the 15 round mag is nice for HD. just my personal preference to have a larger caliber since i dont have to worry about concealment, i want a 1911 for my nightstand gun.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

The M9 is the WORST FIREARM EVER MADE.

Does that help?

Of course I'm kidding, it's a fine gun. To cure your problem, I recommend you examine and, if possible, fire an M9, and also a CZ75, Browning hi-power, sig 226, and every other high-quality handgun you can get your hands on. Then your love for the M9 will be replaced with a passion for a multitude of weapons, and you will come to the realization that you can't possibly afford them all, sinking into the blissful agony of unfulfilled longing that is the proper state of being for a firearms enthusiast.
    darbo likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Keep what ya got, save up for what ya want.
    Never sell a firearm, that's why they're called "collections"

Distinguished Member
    Bob, You will want lots of guns. Like the song in the Girl scouts: "make new friends but keep the old one is sliver and the others gold". You can never have too many guns ~ enjoy all of them.
    BigPony and Bob2.0 like this.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

They are great shooters, I would suggest looking at the 92fs, same basic pistol, little less cost, less military influence, both are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Bob, You will want lots of guns. Like the song in the Girl scouts: "make new friends but keep the old one is sliver and the others gold". You can never have too many guns ~ enjoy all of them.
    Indeed. I can never seem to stop lusting after new guns.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    Indeed. I can never seem to stop lusting after new guns.
    As long as we don't make it a practice to covet anybody's guns, I think we are OK as far as being saved from sins of the flesh!

Guilty, I really want to have a gun just like that Barrett 50 cal my friends husband has. $8,000.....saw one on-line.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

I wanted an M9 for a long time, so I got one.Berretta M9.jpg
    But the plastic grips had to go.
    Sister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    I bought my Beretta Px4 storm full size 9mm after reading up on it and thinking it was the end result of 500 years of gun manufacturing. At a little under $600 with tax, it was in my budget too. The gun has been great. No problems at all period. 100% reliable with no issues at all. Yet, I'm really wishing I'd have gone with the M9. I love the military heritage of it and the fact that it is made in the USA. Even though it is really close to the 92FS, I like how it is an M9 and is serial numbered accordingly. I have bills and obligations that really prohibit me from having more than one full size 9mm with a clear conscience so I'm looking to trade/sell the Storm in for it. Am I crazy? Can anybody talk me out of this? Can you give me some good reasons why the M9 isn't so great?

Do any of you go through that?
    I had the Beretta 92FS for quite a few years before I picked up the PX4 Storm. I like both these guns but the PX4 is more suitable for carry and suits me better ergonomically. My advice would be do not sacrifice the PX4 to obtain the M9. Find some way financially to have both guns. Parting with one good gun to get another good gun often has one regretting the decision. I know from experience. I wouldn't want to part with either of my Berettas. Both are great pistols. I shoot the PX4 better but that's just me.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links