Sig Malfunction

Sig Malfunction

This is a discussion on Sig Malfunction within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife owns a Sig Sauer .22LR Mosquito pistol. Soon we will be trading it in towards a 9mm she has her eyes on, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig Malfunction

Question Sig Malfunction

My wife owns a Sig Sauer .22LR Mosquito pistol. Soon we will be trading it in towards a 9mm she has her eyes on, but that will be sometime down the road. From now until then we are having some issues with her Sig. I was hoping someone out here can possibly help me out with this, or at least point me in the right direction.

Two Sundays ago (7.14.2013) we took our CHL Class for the OH CHL. And this past weekend we went to the range for more practice. At both times we experienced the following issues:

-misfiring rounds
    -jamming of the feed
    -severe inaccuracy of shots

This misfiring part is what I am most concerned about. I did my own investigation. First, I found that the firing pin appears more "rounded" than it should be. Second, the hammer feels very loose, and seems to lack to proper tension. You can load a round into the chamber and it fire for the most part. However, sometimes the round won't fire at the first trigger pull of the round. I had an "I wonder...." moment and decided to cock the hammer back to fire it again. The round fired, and a couple more rounds later it happened again. So I re-cocked the hammer and the round fired.

This pistol is starting to get into the "unreliable" category very quickly. It's bad enough that the thing a very "ammo picky" meaning, it only likes copper-jacketed, high-powered (1200fps or better) rounds. To date I have found only 3 ammo manufactures it likes. Now, it doesn't want to fire when you need it to.

Since money is a bit of an issue, I was wondering if anyone knows how I can take out the firing pin, and how to adjust the hammer? The other side is I don't want to send out her pistol to be fixed and leave her with nothing.

The inaccuracy problem I am also concerned about. I noticed this thing is shooting high to the left, not even hitting the target. At first I thought it was the way my wife was holding it, until she fired my pistol and hit the target. So I tried shooting her pistol and got the same result, high and left. Any ideas on that part?
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

Well .22's will just plain not like certain types of ammo. I would stick with those brands you said it did like more (typically CCI is great for .22's) but it also sounds like the weapon itself might have some defects. I would call Sig and arrange to have it sent back in. Most likely there will be no charge. I had to send my Sig Pro 2022 into them when it was faulty new out of the box and they fixed it up without me being on the hook for a penny. Had it back in 13 days from the day I sent it in.
    oneshot likes this.

First, I'd try different ammo.
    Remington in .22 is notoriously bad.
    Try some CCI Mimi Mag.
    oneshot likes this.

Forget tinkering with it. Send it back to SIG. Let them do it for free. They know that gun is problematic.

As re Remington .22s being no good...well there are certainly better, but I own the same gun as you. And the golden bullets did better than most in it. CCI MiniMags are very good as well, but the rem golden bullets were one of the shells mine shot best.

Lets be clear here; MINE DOESNT SHOOT ANYTHING WELL. It does fire all the time, but constant jams, failure to feed, etc.

As re your sights; the mosquito comes with more than one set of front sights. Try some others out.

One last thing; What kind of mags are you using? I have all metal factory mags from SIG. Apparently they are highly sought after, and work better than the composite mags.

Personally, if what I have is better, Id suggest trading your gun off, as the gun still doesnt work worth a darn.
    Last edited by StormRhydr; July 26th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

It does like CCI 22LR HP the best, but good luck finding any around here. I bought 2 100strips of the Winchester HPs and it liked those. I found a brick of PMC Zapper22 it was all I could find after a 3mo search. My FFL dealer said he would take it in a partial trade for a 9mm that my wife has her eye on. We will be doing that after we finish paying her S&W .380 Bodyguard out of lay-a-way. I liked this gun and so did my wife until the malfunctions started to come up. Now she is adamant about trading it in....lol.

I bought her this Sig from a friend of mine, for the sole purpose to teach her how to use a gun. It has served it's purpose, so hey it was the best $200 investment I've done in a while. My wife learned how to shoot and handle a gun, and she also passed the CHL Course with it. I call that a pay off. She now likes guns...lol. Double pay off....and double coin out of my pocket...oopps. Now when it comes to buying her jewelry or guns...I win either way.
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member

Im serious when I say that you both probably got in very good "jam clearing" training with it. I went through fighting pistol, and was an expert at FTF, jams, etc simply because of my Sig.
    Last edited by StormRhydr; July 27th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Now that's a thought....
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member

If you browse around on SigForum.com, you will find that the Mosquito has quite the reputation for unreliability.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    have you tried cleaning it? like really cleaning it. getting out all that packaging grease and crud.

as many have already pointed out, .22s are not the most reliable in general, many are picky eaters. the sig mosquito may very well have some problems and need tweaking. but it never hurts to just clean the gun and see if it improves any. machines in general often fail from being simply dirty. light strikes? the firing pin channel could be gummed up. when a carburetor acts up the first thing i try is disassemble it and cleaning it. a lot of times it fixes the problem or a least shows improvement.

not saying it`s the magic fix but it`s worth a try?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I would like to take this thing completely apart, just to see how it works. At the same time give it a real good cleaning. I'm just having trouble getting the part with the firing pin. I don't want to screw it up. I like to tinker...it's in my nature. My dad's remote controls were never really safe as I was growing up...
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member

VIP Member
    Rimfire ammunition has never been known for it's positive ignition. One of the biggest problems with any .22 is cleanliness. The .22 is inherently dirty to shoot. If the firing pin is covered in crud it can cause light strikes. It also causes feeding problems. When cleaning, make sure you disassemble the magazine and clean it too. Also some guns function better with certain brands of ammo. My Ruger Mark II eats CCI Mini Mag like a kid eats candy, Federal or Remington, not so well.

As to the accuracy problem. While being dirty may effect it some. I'd shoot it off a bench rest. See if it shoots a consistent tight group off the rest. If it does you know it is a shooter problem. If it doesn't look for other problems.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It seems that I recall SIG saying to clean the weapon every 200 rounds. Not that it makes much difference, though it does help a bit.

As re the sights, it comes with different front sights. Id lay odds that the front sight on there now is canted, or tilted, or wont remain in place properly. They are plastic, with plastic prongs to go into the front slide slots. Honestly, that system isnt much account, either.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Im serious when I say that you both probably got in very good "jam clearing" training with it. I went through fighting pistol, and was an expert at FTF, jams, etc simply because of my Sig.
    You'd think so. When my mosquito FTE, a simple tap/rack drill does not clear the failure. The spent case is in the chamber and the mag double feeds. I have to drop the mag, clear the chamber by hand, reset the top round in the mag, and start over.

My .22 will only reliably cycle copper plated high velocity stuff; CCI Stinger, match grade ammo...

Accuracy- it sounds like your pistol is accurate (groups well), but the sights are off. Mine is plain old inaccurate. At 10m my group are about 8-10". That's worse than my snub nose 442. My CZ and Kimber get 2" groups at that range. Ok., my eyes get those groups. The CZ and Kimber can shoot better.

The loose hammer concerns me. In the end, a trip to Sig may be in order to address the whole package on their dime.

my direct experience with Sig .22's is now at least 10 years old, but during my 6 or so years as a gun salesman (1997-2003), the Sig .22's were a big headache. while the centerfire P-series pistols were models of reliability, we were always sending the .22's back for factory service.

the worst experience was with a customer's gun that took MANY months to get back. the store owner kept getting told, "we're working on it right now", but the gun never showed up. finally the owner asked to speak to the company president in NH. after the owner had described what he had gone through, the president told him, "the gun will be on it's way to you tomorrow." and it was, except that what we got was a completely new gun instead of the one that had been sent back for repair. my memory says that this one worked.

my advice is to sell or trade your Mosquito and get a Ruger Mk. or a Browning Buckmark. i own five P-series Sigs, but my .22 pistols are Brownings.

I also had the safety fall off of mine. I saw it happen, picked it up, and reinstalled it. I will be the first to say that SIG makes good guns.

But man alive, they dropped the ball on this model.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links