Gun Reviews

Gun Reviews

This is a discussion on Gun Reviews within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I noticed old threads on gun reviews and I wanted to revive it to ask a question. It seems most everyone dislikes and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gun Reviews

Gun Reviews

Hey all, I noticed old threads on gun reviews and I wanted to revive it to ask a question. It seems most everyone dislikes and distrusts reviews. So how would you guys do it differently? What would YOU put in a review or do to test the gun? I'm very interested in you all's ideas and thoughts on this topic. Fire away!

It is hard to find a review from a for-profit company that ever says anything bad about any gun.

Reviews that I lend more credence to come from individuals who don't have a "horse in the race."
    StormRhydr, srings and archer51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    Ask Joe Biden, he's the professional and he's in charge according to the WH.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you shoot?
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    First of all welcome to the site from Maryland . I would base alot on the people here . But with that said you can get a wide variety of opinions about any one gun . (and you know about the opinion thing) . Reviews must come from the person not companies .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have been dealing with publishers now for a couple of years because of our product. I have learned the reason why you seem to only get positive reviews. If they get a product that doesn't work and would have a negative review, they just don't publish it, so no reviews is a negative review. They want people to advertise along with their reviews, so if it is going to be negative, they just don't publish it because they won't get any ad revenue as a part of that article. Remember publications don't make it because of subscriptions, they make it because of ads.

If a gun is new, and not yet in many private owners hands, I will look at reviews from the commercial places. However, for everything else, I depend on those who actually own/owned the particular gun, or are experts in that type of firearm.

If it were AR 15s we were talking about, there are forums devoted to such rifles, and those that others acknowledge as expert in that area. One guy who comes to mind was an armorer in the Marines. That guys word I trust. He knows more about that type firearm than I ever will.

There are forums for each type of weapon. Ie shotgun, AR, CC pistols. Those are the places that I have learned to look for advice from people who have the experience & knowledge for each type weapon.
    blitzburgh and sensei2 like this.

Click the "Gun Reviews" button at the top of this site:

The Truth About Guns | Exploring the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of gunsThe Truth About Guns | Exploring the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strat

They seem to be up-front about how the guns were received for assessment, provide both positive and negative (to the point of nit-picking) impressions and rate the weapons on several criteria. They also welcome guest reviews and provide guidelines for same.

The site does accept advertising, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on the reviews I've considered.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only thing I consider in gun rag reviews is the features and specs. Beyond that they're mostly subjective. One such reviewer will always state how he hates compact pistols, mention it several times throughout his article, and then proceed to state what a great gun it is even though it failed X number of time on Brand Y ammo. But he still hates compact pistols.

They're good to get an idea about a handgun, but like movie reviews, the worse the "reviewers" dislike it, the larger the audience it draws. It comes down to putting one in your hand and hopefully a chance to try it on a range before buying. Other than that, buying a gun can be a crap shoot, just like anything else.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I'm leery of gun reviews in magazines because gun makers pay for advertising in the magazine, Gun tests being an exception.

What would I do, or put into a review? Here is a "Gun Review" I did.

Beretta Nano 300 round test

Magazines, Gun tests included, do not always mention the presence of an internal lock on a gun.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Sister - yes, I've been shooting for seventeen years. Love my guns like children, although I will always be a diehard Glock lover.

It's definitely true that the more negative reviews won't make it out there, and I agree especially a lot of the bigger magazines are so ad-driven you have to take everything with a grain (or an entire sack) of salt.

CPO 15 I notice you mentioned The Truth About Guns. It is definitely best to have a pro/con balance rather than simply mentioning cons in passing. Does anyone here have an opinion about The Firearms Blog? I really would be interested in hearing how you all would handle it if you yourselves were reviewing the guns.

I've found The Truth About Guns as a humorous and truthful reviewer of firearms. If they don't like something they usually mention it.

But printed sources like Guns Digest, Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine and etc are "softer" on bad guns and tend to make everything from a Kimber to a Taurus sound like the best things since sliced bread.

Stock to the independent Internet reviewers.
    Last edited by DetChris; July 26th, 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Reviews are written by those that pay the bills. All sites require cash in form or another to operate so reviews are controlled by those that pay for ads.
    You can use them as a start but you must get out and do some home work to get the real story.

CDW4ME - How has your Nano continued to fire in recent months? Curious how many rounds you've put through it at this point. I'd also be curious what your grouping was between the various loads (or if you really noticed much of a difference at all)?

DetChris - Thanks, I happen to agree about the internet reviewers. Much as I enjoy many gun magazines they definitely can't be used as the end-all-be-all for reviews. Is The Truth About Guns your favorite or are there others you like? You're a leo I take it? How many rounds would you personally want to put through a gun to get a good idea of its function?

Smitty901 - I have to disagree somewhat. Although the major magazines do control the flow of reviews pretty significantly, a great many of the internet-based reviews are written by writers and gun lovers who, although they are paid for their content and supplied guns to review, do write what they think. Some sites are run by editors who allow their writers to speak their minds. When you really run into trouble is the bigger magazines. Don't get me wrong, I think the magazines have their place, and I enjoy them at times, but they do exercise a great deal of caution with their advertisers. And as OutWestSystems pointed out, many simply will not publish reviews if the guns are poor quality or flawed in some way.

Gun tests magazine is the only publication i trust enough to buy a gun based (almost) solely on their review. and i did: i bought my Kahr CM-9 after reading their review in the June 2011 issue. i did hold and dry-fire the gun first, to see how it felt in my hand, and compared to the other micro 9mm's i had held, i liked the Kahr the best. though some other CM-9 owners have had problems with their examples (and some haven't), i got a gun that has been 100% reliable from the first time i shot it, and which shoots where the sights look (for me) i did strip, clean, and lube it before my first range session.

Gun test subscriptions are relatively expensive because they accept no advertising, but that's why they can afford to be honest in their evaluations. i sometimes question their comparisons, i.e. a $1895 Kriss .45 carbine and a $1888 H&K .45 carbine against a $340 Hi-Point .45 carbine, or a $1393 Kimber 1911 vs. a $410 RIA 1911, but if you engage your own brain a bit, you can see through the distractions.

for example, Gun tests was the only magazine that mentioned the difficulty of holding onto the Kimber Solo because of the slick frontstrap. or the fact that the Solo's magazine basepad cut up the shooter's finger.

Gun tests had the only the only review i can remember that mentioned the similarities between the Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP and the similarities between the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Ruger LC-9.

as for reviews in the other gun magazines, always read them carefully, especially when they discuss the reliability of the gun. read these statements like a lawyer or an accountant looking for hidden or unspoken exceptions. was there anything that, in your opinion, they could have, or should have talked about, but didn't? like magazine disconnectors? or a complicated disassembly/assembly procedure? if you read several of these reviews and compare them, you can get other insights.

individual reviewers: i trust Mas Ayoob the most. while i can't recall any purely negative reviews he's written, he has pointed out areas he considered weaknesses or potential problems.

as a former stereo salesman, i call to your attention the (supposed) closing statement by one famous 'see no evil' equipment reviewer: "of all the speakers i have ever reviewed, this is certainly one of them."
    Last edited by sensei2; July 27th, 2013 at 03:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links