Gun sales story

This is a discussion on Gun sales story within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a part time job at a well known gun shop in a town near mine.It was about half an hour before close when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Gun sales story

Gun sales story

I have a part time job at a well known gun shop in a town near mine.It was about half an hour before close when this individual comes in and starts to browse he asks about inexpensive pistols I show him some .While doing this I am almost positive I smell pot.The individuals eyes are VERY red and pupils dialeted .....but not fully.I take this to the store manager and she gives me advice on what to do ....I follow this advice.In the mean time this person has decided on purchasing a used pistol.The manager wants to get a wiff of this person so she grabs the paperwork for the gun and approaches him and explains it to him.She tells me she smells nothing.This guys speech is slow and slightly slured and he proceeds to screw up the form not once but twice.Every instinct I have by this time is telling me that this guy is in no shape to be in this shop let alone purchase a firearm(it is after all a felony to be in a gunshop under the influence).The manager calls NICS and surprise surprise he is denied purchase.I am relieved.The manager thinks this guy was just an idiot I am not so sure if that was the case.I open this story to opinions advise and general discussion.
    tony1990 and Kennydale like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I wouldn't have sold to him, if the boss wanted to allow the purchase I would have had to let her do it. I am not going to sell a firearm to a person I believe is not in the condition to be handling one.

I
    CIBMike, Taurahe, stylus and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Ditto that, you don't want your butt on the line for the almighty $$.
    CIBMike likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    And then the feds swooped in and arrested him for committing a federal felony? No? State troopers? No? Local cops? No?
    CIBMike, stylus, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    To be honest I an not sure how I would have reacted to this. If you had said too much to the buyer or even remotely indicaticated you have reason to believe he is under the influence of a substance you open yourself as well as the shop to no telling what. It is not as cut and dried as someone drunk.

I'll leave it at that but I think the denial might have prevented a less than stellar firearms purchase. Here a couple of gun shops have a "call police" button. When they show up, the counter man just nodes his head toward the questionable person. Things, if any, play out from there. This is a small, small town so there is ample PD.

My best!
    CIBMike likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I had decided already that my name would not go on the form and management did initiate the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    And then the feds swooped in and arrested him for committing a federal felony? No? State troopers? No? Local cops? No?
    No ,law enforcement was not notified.That is a management call.We do have law enforcement that works in the store unfortunately he was gone for the day.

it is after all a felony to be in a gunshop under the influence
    Is that really a law in Indiana?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not having seen him, it's hard to make any definite conclusions. Maybe he was dangerous, but there are multiple alternative explanations for all of your observations, besides "dangerous drug addict." Maybe it wasn't marijuana you smelled. Maybe he got a ride to the store with somebody who was smoking marijuana. Maybe he has terminal cancer and uses marijuana to deal with the symptoms. Maybe his pupils were dilated and eyes red because he just had an eye exam. Maybe his eyes were red and his speech slow and slightly slurred because he's tired. Maybe that's his normal speech and it just sounds funny to you. Maybe he's just bad with forms - everybody who has never screwed up a form, raise your hands, please?

I'm not saying you were wrong to be suspicious, and you had little choice but to go with your gut. I'm just saying that it's easy to make assumptions about a person after watching them for a few minutes, and sometimes folk fall a bit outside the norms while still being responsible and decent.
    blitzburgh and Badbullgator like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

You get an AtaBoy from me because you told your manager of your concerns and a Big AtaBoy to the back ground check system that denied him a gun. I am glad to hear that the Back Ground Check system works and employees like you will not sell a gun if you believe someone is on drugs. Better to be safe that sorry.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

I disagree..... Giving the current times, as ling as the op was ablr to providr concise evidence to back up his suspicions the op would have been fine. Also a private business can refuse service to any persons for any reason under scipe of the law. A person trying to buy a firearm whuke under the influence of drugs or alcohol and subsuquently refused would stand in court

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I dont know everything , but I do not believe that a denial is an automatic cause for an arrest.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
    I dont know everything , but I do not believe that a denial is an automatic cause for an arrest.
    A "DELAY" isn't but a "DENIAL" probably is. That's the FBI saying, "HECK NO you are not allowed by law to purchase a firearm."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    You get an AtaBoy from me because you told your manager of your concerns and a Big AtaBoy to the back ground check system that denied him a gun. I am glad to hear that the Back Ground Check system works and employees like you will not sell a gun if you believe someone is on drugs. Better to be safe that sorry.

I'm in this camp. If I had to run his bg check, I probably would have lied and said he didn't pass even if he did. Haha
    CIBMike likes this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Is that really a law in Indiana?
    I've never heard of such a law around here, so I'm quite curious about that myself. Could you please cite the law, OP?
    CIBMike likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links