Police officer, gun store owner both charged with illegal purchases

This is a discussion on Police officer, gun store owner both charged with illegal purchases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oops! I can see a local LEO not realizing he's violating the technical aspect of a federal law, since the guns didn't go to prohibited ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Police officer, gun store owner both charged with illegal purchases

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Police officer, gun store owner both charged with illegal purchases

Oops!

I can see a local LEO not realizing he's violating the technical aspect of a federal law, since the guns didn't go to prohibited persons, but the FFL must be an idiot.

Police officer, gun store owner charged with illegal purchases | Local News - Home

ROANOKE, Va. -

Federal investigators say that David Haskins and James Slate hatched a scheme to complete what are known as straw purchases from a competing gun store. Haskins owns Southern Gun in Bassett. Slate is a Rocky Mount police officer.
    More from WDBJ7.com

According to federal court records, Haskins gave money to Slate who would then use his law enforcement discount to buy a specialized gun from Town Police Supply in Collinsville. Town Police Supply, according to a search warrant affidavit, had exclusive rights to sell Smith and Wesson M&P 10 rifles to public safety officers and members of the military. Prosecutors allege Haskins then tried to resell the rifles online for several hundred dollars more than the purchase price. Such purchases are illegal, prosecutors allege, because federal firearms purchase forms require that the purchaser is the actual buyer of the firearm.

Haskins and Slate recruited other buyers as well. A total of 32 guns were seized according to a source with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Those buyers cooperated with the investigation and will not be charged.

Haskins was arrested July 12th. He is charged with eighteen counts of making false statements to a license firearms dealer in relation to the purchase of a firearm and one count of conspiracy to make straw purchases of firearms.

Slate turned himself in Friday and is charged with one count of conspiracy to make straw purchases of firearms.

Both Slate and Haskins face a maximum possible penalty of up to five years in prison on the conspiracy charge. Haskins faces an additional maximum possible penalty of up to ten years in prison on ten counts of making a false statement to a licensed firearms dealer and a maximum possible penalty of up to five years on the remaining eight counts of making false statements.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

As i was told by a LEO once,your ignorance of the law is no excuse.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    How did they not know it was illegal? 11a of the Form 4473 states; "Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.". It is not like it is not like it unclear.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Yea, I have a hard time thinking the cop did not know it was illegal either! DR

I'm sure they thought they would make a quick buck and no one would be the wiser. I do not envy either of them their current position. That's why I don't behave that way.

When 20yrs imprisonment beats nearly every single armed robbery conviction's time behind bars, something's wrong in Mayberry.

No excuses for deliberate violation of known statutes, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm from Rocky Mount, and I've purchased several guns from Town Police Supply in Collinsville; I purchased ammo, a sling, and a holster from there last week. They are a very professional dealer, and have the best prices and availability around.

One thing not mentioned in the article above; Slate is dating Haskins' daughter.

Also the article states "Haskins and Slate recruited other buyers as well." Rumor is, some of the other "recruits" were also members of the RMPD.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sontag View Post
    I'm from Rocky Mount, and I've purchased several guns from Town Police Supply in Collinsville; I purchased ammo and a holster from there last week. They are a very professional dealer, and have the best prices and availability around.

One thing not mentioned in the article above; Slate is dating Haskins' daughter.

Interesting...do they have plans to marry and if so where are they registered?
    blitzburgh and 357and40 like this.

VIP Member
    These two are looking at serious time for buying at wholesale so they could sell at retail, while thousands of BATFE-facilitated straw purchases for the cartels result in zero charges.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    When 20yrs imprisonment beats nearly every single armed robbery conviction's time behind bars, something's wrong in Mayberry.

No excuses for deliberate violation of known statutes, though.
    I have often stated here that I believe we criminalize too much and punish too harshly. That said, I would think
    both of these guys knew full well they were doing something unlawful and I have little sympathy for people who
    deliberately break the law-- especially when they are people in positions where they should have known better.

As for the harsh penalty, it makes a certain amount of sense if one assumes illegally purchased guns are likely to
    end up in the hands of violent felons.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    As i was told by a LEO once,your ignorance of the law is no excuse.

...and it don't take a lawyer to understand that...but it might take a lawyer if you DON'T...
    357and40, Hopyard, Sister and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As for the harsh penalty, it makes a certain amount of sense if one assumes illegally purchased guns are likely to
    end up in the hands of violent felons.
    If. Possibly.

Depends on the mode of sale, of course. If just another face-to-face sale, it's hard to equate that with any greater or lesser likelihood of a given item getting into a felon's hands. No different than any other citizen's sale, unless they're deliberately trolling for felons and deliberately supplying them. IMO, unless pre-planned to be a supplier of felons, I can't imagine a harsher charge being justified.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Interesting...do they have plans to marry and if so where are they registered?
    I'm betting the investigators reviewed that path, when they went digging.

"Ahhh, registered at the LGS, are we now?! You've bought seventeen AR-15's in the past four months alone, eh? Well, well, well."
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd say those two are up Ship Creek without a paddle.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Here's your sign.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links