What 9mm To Recommend

What 9mm To Recommend

This is a discussion on What 9mm To Recommend within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friend is turning 60 next week. he did about 15-20 in the US Navy. and of late he has worked simple security at gated communities. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What 9mm To Recommend

What 9mm To Recommend

Friend is turning 60 next week. he did about 15-20 in the US Navy. and of late he has worked simple security at gated communities. Had has an offer to go back to work as a security person in a office complex nearby. he says the job would require him to have a firearm. He was thinking that he would opt for a decent but not over priced 9mm. I'd tell him to look at Ruger(SR9C or LC9), S&W Shield, SCCY. I would recommend a G26 but i don't know if he'd want to spend that much. (HiPoint- I never hear anything good about them, is that true because of their low price?)

How bout a Sig SP2022? They are under $400 and they are Sigs...
    zonker1986 and Kennydale like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

M&P 9c....

Budget: Bersa thunder UC 9
    bwromine and ccw9mm like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    M&P 9c....

Budget: Bersa thunder UC 9
    Great gun, but they cost more than a G26 in my neck of the woods.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Since he doing duty carry, I would not recommend the SR9c or LC9, they are just too small. I would go with a Ruger P-95, it is just a work horse and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Great gun, but they cost more than a G26 in my neck of the woods.
    Really? The bersa is about 100-150 less than the glock here...

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Really? The bersa is about 100-150 less than the glock here...
    The 9c...
    Clint Eastwood

Glock 19. When one may have to put there life on the line the extra $150.00 is cheap insurance. On the other hand the Ruger P-95 will serve just as well.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    The 9c...
    Bout the same, with in 50

I'd want reliability and capacity as a security guard...I'm not looking at concealment. I'd go full size S&W M&P Full Size 9 or Glock 17 (don't own a glock so I don't know the price). You can get the M&P for about $450-470 here in Ohio. If he needs smaller but still some capacity...I'd go with the M&Pc (10 or 12 rds). That's in low to mid $500 range I believe. Good luck. Lots of good firearms out in this category. This is just my 2 cents.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Friend is turning 60 next week. he did about 15-20 in the US Navy. and of late he has worked simple security at gated communities. Had has an offer to go back to work as a security person in a office complex nearby. he says the job would require him to have a firearm. He was thinking that he would opt for a decent but not over priced 9mm. I'd tell him to look at Ruger(SR9C or LC9), S&W Shield, SCCY. I would recommend a G26 but i don't know if he'd want to spend that much. (HiPoint- I never hear anything good about them, is that true because of their low price?)
    Would this be openly carried firearm? What exactly is required? 9mm?
    I'd recommend two actually.....one primary and one back up if need be to open carry. 9mm full size has the capacity most law enforcement have come to depend on. I know armed security gets paid well in some parts of the country, and half what they should in others. Most contractors don't supply the weapons and this could be a good thing or a bad thing. In reality one doesn't want to skimp on a defensive weapon when put in the position. Write the cost off on your income taxes as tools for the trade IMO.
    Decent but not overpriced? That's kind of a contradiction in terms especially now. Besides......you need to carry what you can hit with. A visible weapon is seldom a deterrent for those intent on doing damage. Especially with a lone security guard. I've given plenty of thought to contract jobs and doing security myself over the years. Actually, an UZI would do very well in full auto for the lone security guard. Otherwise, it's the best you can afford if you're at risk or in a high risk environment. Ask local law enforcement what they carry on duty or what they recommend for the security scene. I'm sure some of your local LEOs have been involved in shooting scenarios and can give good recommendations. One thing you should never go cheap on is self preservation, and interdiction should be avoided at all costs. Not only invest in a decent firearm, but likely some skilled training on the side, and some body armor as well. Getting paid well for the job is number one since you're putting your life at risk for others or property. Skimping on tools of the trade or what the job actually requires is not only a sin. It's something you'll have to live with or die with. Being at the top of your game doesn't include bargain shopping. Seriously.

Hey, OP!

I just did a post in this general forum on my S&W M&P 9C and I've gotta tell you...
    I. LOVE. IT.

I'm a female, and was a little worried about how it would feel to shoot, but I'm in love after our first date this afternoon!
    I highly recommend finding someone who has one of these that might let your friend give it a shot (no pun intended, really).

Its a very nice handgun!!

PROS:
    decent heft (but not heavy--I don't like 'em too lightweight);
    fits my hand really well and has three backstraps so that you can customize your grip;
    minimal recoil (esp for a compact model);
    no hiccups (at least for me, after shooting it for the first time at the range today);
    read a few reviews from various sources, they are all positive;
    crazy easy to field strip;
    comes with 2 mags (one with extended pinkie grip---which, even as a woman, I prefer the pinkie extension mag, will look into getting another);
    Slide comes back very easily and has easy to grip scalloped design for extra "grippiness".

CONS:
    eh... a little pricey.
    I got the model without a safety (would have preferred to have it, but it IS an option if you can find that model out in your world).
    Last edited by WinkWink; July 28th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by srings View Post
    I'd want reliability and capacity as a security guard...I'm not looking at concealment. I'd go full size S&W M&P Full Size 9 or Glock 17 (don't own a glock so I don't know the price). You can get the M&P for about $450-470 here in Ohio. If he needs smaller but still some capacity...I'd go with the M&Pc (10 or 12 rds). That's in low to mid $500 range I believe. Good luck. Lots of good firearms out in this category. This is just my 2 cents.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    Luke 22:36,38 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

No reason for a compact in this application. So go full-size.

And, unusual for me, here I'd recommend a Glock. High capacity, rugged, lightweight, reliable. Or an M&P.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    ^^^^This^^^^

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links