Defensive Carry banner

A BANG! at the Gun Show(Updated)

4K views 51 replies 48 participants last post by  sawfiler 
#1 ·
Went to the Gun Show at the Hot Springs Convention Center today. It was a good gun show with lots of stuff and a pretty good turnout. Me and a friend were standing there at a table when all of a sudden a "BANG" rang out. For a few seconds all activity ceased and you could have heard a pin drop.A couple of aisles over a man, believed to be a dealer, shot himself through the hand with a .45. The .45 bullet hit the concrete, ricocheted up and hit another man in the chest. Lucky for him that bullet had flattened out when it hit the concrete and instead of going through his chest, it just smacked him. He immediately started some serious bruising in his chest area.

The man that shot himself though the hand ran out of the building and somehow got himself to the hospital a few blocks away.This is the 3rd gun-show that I have been to where there was a negligent discharge. For those that don't know what that is, its when a guns fires when it is not supposed to and its usually due to ignorance, complacency when handling firearms and not following the some of the basic rules of gun handling.

Today we were lucky that no one got killed due to negligence.

Here are the 4 basic rules of gun safety that every one should know and with as many new shooters as we have its never a bad thing to discuss.

Treat every gun as if were loaded.

Never point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy.

Know your backstop and what is beyond.

Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are on target.

Follow these and there will be no "negligent discharges".

I can testify that it is a disgusting, helpless feeling when you hear a shot in a room filled with several hundred people milling about. Especially when you assume that the guns are supposed to be cleared, tie wrapped open and checked at the door.It was my understanding that the dealer was attempting to clear his own personal weapon to show someone when he shot himself through the hand. As most can figure, a .45 though the hand leaves a pretty good blood trail and in the seconds that it happened, the quantity of blood was amazing. As for the guy that took the round to the chest, his number wasn't up. I'll bet he remembers that gun show for the rest of his life.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have heard a lot of dealers at the local gun shows complaining they are not allowed to have their own carry pieces on their person. I guess those complainers ought to see a few stories like this.

#9 ·
Amazing that anyone who deals with firearms in a buy/sell/display situation doesn't appreciate the value of treating every single gun at all times as though it were loaded. Amazing that every touching of a gun doesn't start and end with clearing it to ensure it's absolutely safe. And with dealers having stock on the table or in the case, it's hard to believe anyone would go to such a place without strapping the guns' actions closed.

Condolences to the injured parties. Glad that nobody was killed.

#14 ·
Fortunately, those are reusable. With the exception of those worn by the guy who had the flying ashcan strike his chest. Probably had to bury those puppies out back.

But the guy with the .45ACP hole in his hand is (hopefully) realizing hands are not easily replaced or "cleaned." Good lesson, if he learns from it. (Am assuming it was a 'he' was a he.)

#13 ·
First I'm glad the bystander was not more seriously injured. Second I'm glad the dealer was not more seriously injured. Third what a flipping moron!

I would hope the show organizer refuses to allow this guy back for a long time if ever and the other dealers learn from the "near miss". Wonder how long it will be before the law suits are filed?

#15 ·
Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: Cheesewiz
#18 ·
I've had a flattened .45 ricochet and hit me in the stomach. Luckily, no broken skin but it sure didn't feel good.

When attending gun shows, I see a lot of frightening things that would get people kicked out of any respectable gunshop..

#25 ·
Heck, I had a 22 ricochet and hit me in the chest and it didn't feel good. I was also hit at 75 yards with a load of low brass 8 shot while at a dove shoot. That really didn't feel good. That was my first and last public dove shoot. The 22 was at a range and just a freak thing. It hit the target and somehow did a 180 right back at the line. There was nothing done wrong and not sure what if anything could have prevented it. The shotgun was by a young teen hunting with his father and was a safety violation. He shot across the field instead of up.

#19 ·
I would ban the dealer for life,when handling firearms there is a certain level of respect that goes with it,at gun shows around here because of idiots like him they don't allow any loaded guns inside and have posted a 30.06 sign at the door making it illegal to carry a loaded concealed handgun inside, and any guns have to be zip tied including the dealers personal sidearms

#20 ·
This is exactly the kind of negligence that gives the antis plenty of ammo (pun intended) to deny gun shows from operating at all. They love nothing more than to pounce on incidents like this to justify their agenda. We as owners, dealers and supporters MUST do everything we can when attending these events to prevent this sort of thing!

#22 ·
I was at a gun show in Alabama in 1999 or so when a shot rang out. I hit the deck instantly. When I raised my head and looked around, there was a much older fellow about 5 feet from me who had also hit the deck. He was looking at me and I looking at him. He had a Vietnam Veteran hat on and I was wearing my Gulf War Veteran hat. We both grinned at each other and he said "looks like we're the only ones who've ever been shot at before!" I agreed and we both got up and had a little laugh. I noticed that most of the people around us were looking at us like we were crazy for having hit the deck. We both just shook our heads and went about our way.

Turned out some knucklehead had pulled the trigger on an M1 carbine reproduction that some other idiot had brought in with a round in the chamber, with out checking to see if it was clear first. Thankfully it was pointed up with the ND happened.

Reactions: Sister
#23 ·
He broke 2 out of the 4 basic rules. Never point the gun at something you don't want to destroy and don't put a finger on the trigger until you are sure you want to shoot or be ready to shoot.

My guess is the dealer is kicking his own ass a lot harder than anyone else can. Sucks to know better and do it anyway.

#27 ·
All the guns shows I've been to here in Virgina requires vendors to have their personal guns unloaded and tie wrapped as well as their display merchandise.

#30 ·
Hotguns, I've never been to a gun show where a firearm discharged, you've been to three? Maybe it's something to do with you?

#31 ·
It continues to amaze me the number of people who cannot and do not exercise extreme discipline when handling firearms. Many times, it is people you would expect to know better, like dealers and ex-military or ex-Leos. But I guess stupidity crosses all career lines.

I was hit in the leg by a rebounding .380 fmj. I had fired it from a pocket gun at a stump at a range of about 4 yards. Bounced right back and left a nice bruise on my shin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.