Purchasing with a Juvenile Record

This is a discussion on Purchasing with a Juvenile Record within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; how long is someone's record held over their head? when attempting to purchase a firearm how far back do they check on the backround check? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Purchasing with a Juvenile Record

how long is someone's record held over their head? when attempting to purchase a firearm how far back do they check on the backround check? (don't know if it makes a difference but i'm asking about VA) do they care what you did when you were a minor? or do they stop caring if the record is over 10 years old? some insite would be greatly helpful? and also is the attempted buyer arrested if they are found to be "denied"?
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

...unless you're wanted...or a felon,don't fear an arrest for filling out a 4473 and submitting it to try to buy a gun...

...be very careful to answer every question honestly, and READ the questions...if you're denied, then there's a process to find out exactly why and what they found...

...let us know how it goes, please...
    Quote Originally Posted by RR9501 View Post
    how long is someone's record held over their head? when attempting to purchase a firearm how far back do they check on the backround check? (don't know if it makes a difference but i'm asking about VA) do they care what you did when you were a minor? or do they stop caring if the record is over 10 years old? some insite would be greatly helpful? and also is the attempted buyer arrested if they are found to be "denied"?

VIP Member
    It will depend on what the charges and conviction was for. It's not cheap, but a lawyer who specializes in gun related cases is who you need to be asking.

As to being arrested for trying to buy and denied. I would guess that as long as you answered the questions on the BATFE form 4473 and Virginia form SP-65 honestly, there shouldn't be a problem. If you lie, or intentionally omit the ask for information, then yes, you are definitely risking arrest and charges.

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/tem...er%20Forms.pdf

The second form in the PDF file is the VA SP-65. Look at question 7 (page I-8). If you answer yes, My guess is you'll be denied.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I was a Juvenile PO for two years, then an Adult PO for 28 years, in Virginia. I NEVER saw a juvenile charge on any criminal history report (rap sheet) unless the charge was transferred to the Circuit Court for adjudication as as adult.

But, get a lawyer, just in case. And follow the suggestion from archer51 above.

I would say that unless you committed a felony as a kid (14 and older) you are fine. That question archer pointed out is about felonies...

A lawyer would be better to ask than us Armchair Litigators...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

...a lawyer is great for if you've found you have a problem...

...all we've told him here is the proper way to FIND OUT if he has a problem...and you don't need a lawer to get that far...

...apply to buy...tell the truth...if you're denied, use the system in place to find out why

...THEN...you might need a lawyer...

...only reason that wouldn't work is if he's wanted, or if he knows he's a convicted felon...and he doesn't even need a lawyer to find that out...

...I know lawyers have to eat...but it don't have to be steak every night!!!
    blitzburgh likes this.

If you are not wanted for anything at the present time, the worst that can happen (if you fill out the necessary paperwork honestly), is that your purchase may be denied. If, however, you lie on the paperwork in order to make a firearms purchase you may be facing felony charges, if you are caught.

I agree with Snub44. There is no need for an attorney, at this point. Just answer all questions on the 4473 honestly and completely. If you are denied your purchase, then it may be time to involve an attorney.

Good luck.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Administrator
    Just walk into a gun shop and fill out the paperwork honestly. And you will either get a "thumbs up" or a "thumbs down" and just be certain to remember that not being 100% truthful on your paperwork is a separate crime all by itself.

If you get denied then contact a lawyer that is familiar with firearms law and you can take your argument and have it put put before a judge that can rule one way or the other.

You are not going to be arrested for filling out an app truthfully unless you are presently a person wanted by the law.

The worst that could happen is that you'll be denied and then you can decide your next course of action from there.

Stay in touch and let us know how it all works out for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It varies from state to state. In the state I was born in (Minnesota) your juvenile record used to be expunged automatically when you turned 18; I don't know if this is still the case. Here in Oregon you must petition the court to expunge your juvenile record after you have turned 18. You should call an attorney in your state of VA for information on this issue.

Consult an attorney or simply ask your local DA if there is a way to have that record expunged. I did a few dumass things as a kid and when I applied for my CCW permit, I was completely honest...brutally. Passed my background checks, livescan, DOJ, etc. Never lie to LEO. As a friend of mine says, "Disclosure is bliss" when dealing with this kind of stuff.

well sadly i was 16 when offense was committed, ( in NJ) i'm very private about my crime because i am utterly embarressed for one...i was also wrongly convicted which i didn't find out for 17 yrs (i had a complete idiot for an atorney...i am now 35 and i was recently told my charge does not allow me to have record expunged because the severity of the crime...im at a place in my life where i just want to move on with my life and i want my rights restored. i would like to apply for a "Governor's Pardon" but i don't have anyone to help me with the letter. ...i really need some help on a very private fashion and do not want to be judged as i have been most of my life.
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

VIP Member
    well sadly i was 16 when offense was committed, ( in NJ) i'm very private about my crime because i am utterly embarressed for one...i was also wrongly convicted which i didn't find out for 17 yrs (i had a complete idiot for an atorney...i am now 35 and i was recently told my charge does not allow me to have record expunged because the severity of the crime...im at a place in my life where i just want to move on with my life and i want my rights restored. i would like to apply for a "Governor's Pardon" but i don't have anyone to help me with the letter. ...i really need some help on a very private fashion and do not want to be judged as i have been most of my life.
    In this case, you definitely need a lawyer then. He can help you with the petition for restoration of your rights and anything in your conversations are covered by client/attorney privilege.

Added note: If you use a VA based attorney, make sure he is licensed to practice in NJ, so he has access to all pertinent statutes.
    RR9501, blitzburgh and QKShooter like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Ditto what archer51 said.
    There is really nothing more to be gained by more Internet posting on this topic. And certainly do not feel obligated to make public anything that you do not wish to be in the public arena.
    Your attorney can compose your letter for you and petition for you.
    Just don't get an idiot attorney this time around. Find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    In this case, you definitely need a lawyer then. He can help you with the petition for restoration of your rights and anything in your conversations are covered by client/attorney privilege.

Added note: If you use a VA based attorney, make sure he is licensed to practice in NJ, so he has access to all pertinent statutes.
    RR9501 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah, you're going to need a lawyer (by the sound of it at least) and even though you're embarrassed about the crime, the one person you need to be completely honest with will be that attorney.

Best of luck. Please update.
    QKShooter and RR9501 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    For those that have read this and may some day apply for a TS clearance or above do not believe your jouvenile record is expunged. When you get to a special background investigation you need to be very truthful about your life. Most of what you may have done is investigated and if you have shown a change it may be overlooked. Lying on any of these forms is a very shure way to end a promising careeer.

Just as a side note your records are not held over your head you earned them.
    RR9501 and Stevew like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links