Dehumidifiers?

This is a discussion on Dehumidifiers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking around for a good plug-in dehumidifier. It seems most of the ones I have come across are either desiccant gel (either in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Dehumidifiers?

Dehumidifiers?

I am looking around for a good plug-in dehumidifier. It seems most of the ones I have come across are either desiccant gel (either in a clam type enclosure or a can), or it is a rod that is nothing more than a heating element.

Is there any kind of dehumidifier that I can get that plugs in so I don't have to maintain it much that isn't simply a heater? I'd rather have something that sits on a shelf in the safe, but if it requires a side wall mount or something I'm sure I can figure it out too.

Ideas?

2. Remove Ads

I've used three different types:

• Desiccant "cans" -- Periodically need to be stuck into the oven to dry out the granules. But these work fairly well. Can add more if more power is needed. Sits on the shelf in the safe. 750gm can.

• Desiccant units that plug-in to renew -- When the color changes, simply plug in overnight to dry out the contents, then reinstall on the shelf in the safe. A bit on the small side, the unit I got. EvaDry 333.

• Golden rod -- Plugs in and stays plugged in, but it is "just" a heater. Keeps the air moving a bit, and keeps it warmer. Effective, easy to use. Requires a power outlet next to the safe, of course, and a hole for the cord out the back. Sits at the base/back of the safe, out of the way of the shelves, and stays there.

I've never had numerous guns with older wooden stocks, so I haven't been overly worried about having too much dehumidifying power. In a ~60x30x30 safe, I've had 1x large desiccant gel can, 1x plug-in variety desiccant, and 1x golden rod. Together, I've never noticed any condensation or evidence of the beginnings of rust. Overkill, almost certainly, using all three. Uncertain what the "right" amount of drying power is, but this combination has worked for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    In the safe a big desiccant bag is pretty much the best thing going. A coffee can of hard rice is a close second. My safes are in my boiler room, which is noticeably dry even in the summer, and downright desert like in the winter. I think placement of your safes in the driest place in your house is more important than anything else.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

The problem with dessicants is that they require maintenance; otherwise, you may as well put a wet sponge in your safe. If you can pay enough attention to your container of dessicant so that it's never saturated, that's fine. Otherwise, a heater (e.g., Golden Rod) mounted low in the safe is your set-it-and-forget-it solution. The atmosphere inside your safe just has to be a few degrees warmer than the surrounding environment to prevent condensation from occurring.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I bought a Remington brand unit that you plug in about once a month to dry it out. No complaints, and it's much more convenient than heating up one of the can units in your oven. It's a good option for around $20. Never tried the can of rice like Jaeger suggested, but it makes sense and probably wouldn't be a bad idea to combine both methods.
    Romans 12:21

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Get a portable AC. They all have a dehumidify mode, also most of them when running in AC mode vent the water out through the exhaust hose.

Just remember, if you end up with a true dehumidifier you will also need to figure out how to plumb a drain line out of the safe and somewhere to have it connect to a drain or bucket. You don't want to have it collect in a bucket inside the safe or you have just defeated the purpose of drawing it out of the air in the safe.

I've heard nothing but good about goldenrods and unless your encountering extreme humidity it should do what you want.
    gasmitty likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

The safe is 60x30x25 and has built-in power, so outlets aren't a problem.

My main concern is general humidity in the air, not necessarily "condensation" on the contents. I'd like to keep it as dry as I can inside to keep ammo "fresh", as best I can. I was just thinking there would be a better alternative than the desiccant gel/granules but it looks like that may be the way to go. The humidity has to go somewhere - what is in there from the door opening or what seeps in through the cracks. I suppose having something soak it up is about the only option.

Links