Broken grip panel issue

This is a discussion on Broken grip panel issue within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Four months ago I ordered a set of Walnut grips for my CZ P-01 off eBay. They were made by "Grips4u.com" and sold through a ...

Thread: Broken grip panel issue

Broken grip panel issue

Four months ago I ordered a set of Walnut grips for my CZ P-01 off eBay. They were made by "Grips4u.com" and sold through a re seller on eBay. Anyway I took them to the range for the first time today and the forward corner on the right panel cracked. I was careful not to over tighten them so as not to damage them, but it appears there was a weak spot in the wood. Anyway I contacted the seller and he refuses to refund or exchange them since "it's been over 4 months". I'm thinking I can get my money back through eBay, PayPal, or my cc company, but it's still highly irritating. What's the best way to deal with 1. The seller and 2. Getting a refund/ exchange. Do you guys think Grips4u might be willing to intercede/help?

2. Remove Ads

Would be worth contacting grips4u to see if they will warranty it. Otherwise just use wood glue. Elmers glue would be a second choice to actual wood glue.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member
    Ya, I'd say it's definitely worth contacting the company that makes them - I'd give it about a 50/50. Just depends on if they want a completely satisfied customer or don't care. I really don't see it as the ebay sellers problem - it has been 4 months and you did put them on and "use" them.

That sucks, those are some great looking grips.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    As for the seller, it depends on what the stated return policy on his e-bay add said. I doubt it is more than 30 days at a max. I also doubt e-bay or your CC company will do anything for you considering the length of time.

Contact Grips4U but don't hold your breath there either. Legally it isn't there issue, however as a CR issue they may replace them for you.

BTW it's Grips4U.net not .com.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I contacted grips4u. They weren't interested at all. I found more damage on the rear of the panel, and evidence of aftermarket staining done by the reseller. The stain alone voids the warranty with the manufacturer. There was a 30 day warranty from the seller, it doesn't change the fact that the product broke the very first time it was tested. My fault for not testing it immediately, and not purchasing from the manufacturer. The eBay seller has 99.7% feedback, so Ill end up eating the $90. Thanks for the repair advice but these will not hold up under firing.

ETA- Grips4u won't or can't confirm they made these grips. I just want to make it clear that this shouldn't be taken as a representation of their product. They did make it clear however that any damage was likely my fault for not oiling the grips in the 4 month period in which I owned them, and any attempt to blame the maker or pursue a refund for my particular grips is unethical. To prevent any unpleasantness I'll accept responsibility for the damage and chalk it up to my inexperience with the type of product. I'd also like to offer a heartfelt thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Try Ahrends Grips or go CZ direct.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Altho these are defective, Grips4u did not sell them to you. But if they made them they should have been more helpfull. Id call BS that it was your fault for not oiling them. If every grip that was not oiled cracked like that Id bet that most guns would be wearing cracked grips! As to glueing them, if done properly the glued joint will be stronger than the original wood. Check out antique dealers to find someone local that can repair them correctly. Good Luck. DR

Administrator
    That's a real shame. Very pretty Walnut.
    You paid quite a bit for them and it is a real crime to have to scrap a nice set of wood grips.
    Wood being a natural product there can always be an unforeseen defect in the wood.

That can be repaired though.
    You will need to Epoxy the crack with a Walnut tinted Marine Grade Epoxy and then since the panel is obviously thin in that area you will need to inlay a "key" into the rear of the panel at the very top where it is thicker.
    That will prevent the grip from splitting or cracking again.
    The repair should be quite invisible on the front face if it's done correctly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks guys I'll definitely give repairing it a shot. QK I definitely overpaid, almost double what I should have paid... At the time it was literally the only set available online.

Links