Oldie but Goodie

Oldie but Goodie

This is a discussion on Oldie but Goodie within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to a gun show in Birmingham on Saturday and discovered that Thanksgiving had thrown UPS's deliveries off. The Saiga .308 I was expecting ...

VIP Member

Oldie but Goodie

I went to a gun show in Birmingham on Saturday and discovered that Thanksgiving had thrown UPS's deliveries off. The Saiga .308 I was expecting to pick up from the dealer I most often use did not arrive, so instead of selling my Russian Makarov I traded it. I am not much of a revolver shooter, but my dad was. Because he had a Smith & Wesson .32 long made in 1943 and used a .38 S&W "Victory" model to permanently end an armed robbery attempt, I have had a soft spot in my heart for older Smith revolvers. On Saturday I found a gem and traded the Mak for it.

I am not sure of the date of manufacture and hope that someone here can help me out. It appears to be a K frame, double action, square butt with lanyard loop, regulation police, hand ejector with 5" pinned barrel. That would make it manufactured in 1940 or before. The last patent date on the top of the barrel is December 29, 1914. All three serial numbers match and have no letter before them. The serial number is of this format: 7611XX. If the gun is as old as I suspect the finish is in exceptional condition. It is rubbed through at the end of the muzzle, on the ejector rod, a little on the arm that the cylinder swings out on, and the back strap. The grips have a few chunks knocked out to provide character. You can see from the pictures that any pieces missing from the grips have been missing for a very long time as the color where the wood is missing pretty much matches the rest of the grips.

As you can see from the second picture I also picked up a Pentagon PX1 flashlight at the gun show. It is perfect for my needs.

I hope to get to fire my new prize sometimes in the next few weeks. I will report the results then.
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 19th, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Great find George - love the old ones. I used to have a Model 1917 in .455 way back - very similar overall. I'd say you got an OK trade there.

The lockwork inside was superb - same principle as today but - more ''engineering'' and quality.

Not sure on info for this one right now but will see if anything can be found. ''Old Fuff'' on THR is the guy for info on old revo's. Is there any writing stamped on the frame under the crane when open?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    George,
    The Lanyard loop and the serial number makes me think that this could be one of the RailRoad guns made in the late 20's early 1930's. I have no facts to back that up but some fuzzy memory of an article or book that i read while reseaching my Grandfathers gun. Union Pacfic and other RR's had problems with Hobo's and armed their engineers, brakemen and conducters for a while until they hired more bulls. I will try to find this discription in one of my books, I'll reply as soon as I have time.

Pgrass101

VIP Member
    Chris, no model number there. There is a number on each side which I understand is an assembly number. In the case of this one the number is 98062. I bumped into the name "Old Fuff" when doing some research on the revolver. Seems to be very well informed on S&Ws. My wife has been asking me what I want for Christmas and yesterday I gave her one answer: The Complete Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Ed. It won't be out until after the first of the year, but is updated by new info gained over the last 4 or 5 years since publication of the 2nd Ed.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Mahahahaha.... (wringing hands)

Congrats on another nice piece.

I picked up a victory model myself when I left California. Luckily it wasn't abused, just seldom shot and a safe queen. and thats where she resides ...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I have one that's very close to yours that I inherited from my father. He shot marksmanship with it when he was an officer in the military. I can tell you that they are beautiful to shoot. I've shot tuned actions that are not as sweet as that old K Frame. You're gonna love your range time with it!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Great find George!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Sorry George, Railroads were a 6" barrel and only 500 were ordered. All I can tell from my articles is that it is pre WW2. Wish I could be more help. I can help you shoot it

Assistant Administrator
    The Complete Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Ed.
    I too George will be looking to upgrade my 2nd Edition - great source of ref material - the ''de facto'' IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I still shoot my grandfather's S&W .38 hand ejector made in 1904 and it shoots just fine. I would not shoot +p ammo though.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Links