Stand your ground law

This is a discussion on Stand your ground law within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stand your ground law. How it will affect your life and the lives of others. If I remember correctly this happened in New York many ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Nebraska12
  • 2 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By tdave
  • 1 Post By USM1976
  • 2 Post By Doghandler
  • 1 Post By TexasCajun

Thread: Stand your ground law

Stand your ground law

Stand your ground law. How it will affect your life and the lives of others. If I remember correctly this happened in New York many years ago. A woman was home alone with her children during the day while her husband was working she hears glass break then she hears what sounds like a door opening she grabs her children in a (frantic state of mind) and she takes her children down the stairs to the basement and hides in the corner and her husband keeps his firearms down there so she now has a weapon with her while she is hiding in the corner protecting her children, the intruder eventually comes downstairs, I cannot remember if he was armed or if he has something in his hands he approaches her and she eventually shoot and he did not survive. result she goes to jail the judge said she had opportunities to leave ,retreat through another door or a window. Even trained people make mistakes under stress. There have been many incidents with a robbery or home invasion where you have multiple criminals sometimes one comes in through the front door while the other waits in the back of the house by the back door, so leaving through another door is not always the safest option. All I hear on the news is how people are opposing stand your ground law, but I do not hear anything on the news people fighting to keep this law.

2. Remove Ads

That's because most of the supposed "news" people want you to be like a lamb being led to slaughter. They don't want you , Joe Citizen, to have the ability to defend yourself, your family, your porperty. The will weep for the critter that will do you and yours harm, but will not shed a single tear for innocent.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

IMO, some aren't involved because Stand Your Ground isn't a gun law, its a defense law. The media is certainly doing what they can to have the masses believe otherwise. I'd imagine, if the NRA and the like were to get involved, it would do nothing but support that message. But it should be said, it is NOT a "shoot first law"...as the media has so eloquently portrayed. Many states where such a law exists, there is no mention of guns.
    USM1976 and Doghandler like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

The criminal attacking should have the duty to retreat, not the law-abiding citizen.
    Phaedrus and Doghandler like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida's SYG statute, for those who haven't seen it quoted:

776.013 - A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Emphasis added. Seems straight forward to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

..."they" may be effective at keeping similar laws from passing in states where they don't have them yet...
    ...but I don't see them getting enough support to repeal them in states where we DO have them...

...but they wouldn't be "they" if they didn't try...
    tdave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    How it will affect your life and the lives of others.
    It'll only affect my life to the extent I leverage my right of self-defense in a place I have every right to be.

It'll only affect the lives of others to the extent I choose to masquerade as a violent felon against others (which is about as likely as getting struck directly by a meteor tonight).

And it'll only continue to have generally bad, strange, confused effect on society so long as there are those in society who fail to recognize every person has every right to be anywhere he/she has every right to be, to defend against outright violent threat, and to use the degree of force reasonably deemed necessary to stop that threat. So long as we have those who would crucify those left standing for merely being left standing, we'll continue to have zealots seeking to bringing unwarranted charges against those seeking only to defend against crime.

All I hear on the news is how people are opposing stand your ground law, but I do not hear anything on the news people fighting to keep this law.
    The media doesn't get much out of showing good people defending the right to defend themselves. There's much more money in the ad stream and sponsor stream for going after the Constitution, for showing gun-toting folks as miscreants instead of citizens, for showing liberty as passť. These days, it's just how it is, when so many well-funded sources are seeking to tear down what's good. The media are seemingly only too happy to follow the money, in that regard, irrespective of whether they have thoughts of any sort on the issue in question.
    USM1976 and Snub44 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Someone breaks into my house and I will keep shooting until they are not moving. Nice part is that under Colorado law that is perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ..."they" may be effective at keeping similar laws from passing in states where they don't have them yet...
    ...but I don't see them getting enough support to repeal them in states where we DO have them...

...but they wouldn't be "they" if they didn't try...
    State that have it see the value and won't give it up. States that don't must be kept ignorant at all cost.
    Snub44 and USM1976 like this.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    So far as me personally,the only thing that could effect me,is if there is a change in the SYG law.

To me, the "stand your ground" defense concept should be as right as any one of the Bill of Rights. If our courts can extrapolate from the 1st Amendment its currrent idea of what "freedom of religion" is, then why can't the "stand your ground" issue be a Constitutional note as well.

It's a rhetorical question...I'm just talking...
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    The attacker lives without the law. The idea behind SYG is to give legitimate self defense a more discrete legal platform to, well, stand on - more than just based on what a "reasonable person" might think about it.
    ccw9mm and USM1976 like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

The only reason we're even taking about the so-called 'stand your ground' laws is because the mainstream media spent so much time building up what they thought would be George Zimmerman's defense. So far, states without a required retreat aren't seriously considering a reverse course. If they were, I'd assume all of the pro 2a groups would be sounding off. To avoid being the boy who cried wolf, they're keeping quiet.

The main problem with required retreat is it puts the good guy in the position of having to prove their innocence. And that's just plain wrong.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2
    ccw9mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    The reason we are discussing it anywhere is because it is an historical, evolutionary and outright challenge to the meaning of the Second Amendment specifically and to the Bill of Rights in general.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I believe SYG laws should be in every state.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Links