I Shoot Better With Both Eyes Open - Normal?

This is a discussion on I Shoot Better With Both Eyes Open - Normal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried an experiment at the range today. I would shoot 12 rounds using one eye to sight with, then 12 rounds using both eyes. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I Shoot Better With Both Eyes Open - Normal?

I tried an experiment at the range today. I would shoot 12 rounds using one eye to sight with, then 12 rounds using both eyes. I consistently shot much better using both eyes than with using one eye.

This surprised me, because the front sight is much clearer using one eye. Using both eyes, it was harder to tell if I really was focusing on the front sight, due to parallax.

So, is it normal to shoot more accurately with both eyes than with one eye?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

That's good! You should be shooting with both eyes open anyways, particularly if your shooting is geared toward self defense. Closing one eye only serves to eliminate half of your vision, severely handicapping you in a defense situation.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

For me...two eyes beats either one eye or no eyes every time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good deal Badey. You're half way there. All you have to do now is practice with both eyes open about 3 times wider than they normally are and you will now be practicing like you would be in a real situation.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I'd say I do the same. I've always shot eyes wide open. Closing one eye throws off my mojo.

Administrator
    You were born with two of them for very good reasons.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

wish I had that "problem",
    I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other, or so my wife says...
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I learned as a kid to shoot with one eye, but as I get older it gets harder. I wear multi-focal contacts during the day and find it difficult to find the sights in the lower light conditions at the indoor range. That probably better approximates the conditions I would be faced with at home vs the nice daylight at the outdoor range.

Gonna have to try shooting with both eyes open next time to see how it goes. I really need to send some rounds down range with no contacts in as well.

Not abnormal just not the most common.

People with the dominant hand and dominant eye on the same side are usually more prone to be the ones who shoot better with both eyes open. This is why the parallax error doesn't come into play with both eyes open. Your dominant eye will take over while you handle the other actions.

You may have found you can master a more preferred way of shooting when it comes to self defense since with both eyes open you are able to get the most visual input to your surroundings and that compensates for tunnel vision a bit. It doesn't eliminate it but every little degree of vision radius helps.

Edited to add, for fun you should try shooting off hand next range trip and do the same experiment with one eye and both eyes.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I was taught to keep both eyes open and that's how I have shot for over 50 years. Too much work keeping one eye closed.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    With only one eye open you have ZERO depth perception and less field of view.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    I have enough trouble just trying to keep one eye open.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I've been told consistently that I should shoot with both eyes open, and that I would shoot better if I did. As you can guess from the way I phrase that, I have never been able to get a good sight picture when I've tried it, except when I use the holographic sight on my Buck Mark
    (since that's only visible with one eye).

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)

I wish it felt more natural for me to shoot with both eyes open. I grew up shooting rifles for accuracy, not shooting handguns for defense. Good for you to be better with what most consider the correct way to approach self-defense shooting.

I need to practice that. :-/

A LONG LONG time ago i wanted to be a professional photographer. I actually got used to looking through the viewfinder (Nikon F: Kinda like the Glock of SLR cameras) with one eye but keeping the other to scan what was around me. Drawing and aiming with both eyes , didn't seem quite as hard as i would have expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links