.45 Suggestions

This is a discussion on .45 Suggestions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to buy a new .45 this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions? Why would you recommend whatever you suggest?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: .45 Suggestions

.45 Suggestions

I'm looking to buy a new .45 this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions? Why would you recommend whatever you suggest?

2. Remove Ads

Colt. 'Cause anything else is a clone.

A family history with Colt .45 automatics finds many, accurate, bullet-proof and reliable pistols that mind their manners.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

...I'd heartily recommend that you look for a used Ruger P90, especially a stainless de-cocker model...or a P97, which is also a de-cocker with a polymer frame, slightly smaller and more CHL-friendly, rounded and smooth...both are reliable and easy to master...and can be had from $300-$400...leaving money for holsters, spare mags, and ammo...

...I've given two small, young, first time shooters who happened to be female, the P97, and they obliterated the target...and grinned and said that it was fun...it's a sweet-shootin' gun...
    GhostMaker likes this.

What budget? What purpose?

So many great 45's out there to choose from...so little ammo.

I picked up a fun gun a few weekends ago when I'd intended on picking up a M&P40 (with an outside chance of a M&P 45) I somehow ended up with a SR45. Really pleased with is accuracy and function so far...I still want a real 45 (P220 or 1911) but this will have to do for a while. I need another 40 with conversion barrel, or 9 before I can revisit my dream 45.

Glock makes good 45acp handguns, for CC I prefer the Glock 36 6+1 and it just conceals well and shoots great.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Budget isn't a problem this time (man is the fun to type.) I don't plan on carrying it, I have a two others that I rotate carrying. This will be a shooting gun in a caliber I currently do not own. My wife and three daughters shoot as well so the P97 sounds intriguing.

I love Glocks, but would like to own something different. That being said, nothing I've shot felt as good as a Glock in my hand.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

STI or Nighthawk Custom 1911, if budget isn't an issue.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Colt. 'Cause anything else is a clone.

A family history with Colt .45 automatics finds many, accurate, bullet-proof and reliable pistols that mind their manners.
    +1 !

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Glock makes good 45acp handguns, for CC I prefer the Glock 36 6+1 and it just conceals well and shoots great.
    I really my Glock 36 never leave home with out it.

I have a used Kimber 4" and I really like it...Used to have a Remington and I like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerbacker View Post
    Budget isn't a problem this time (man is the fun to type.) I don't plan on carrying it, I have a two others that I rotate carrying. This will be a shooting gun in a caliber I currently do not own. My wife and three daughters shoot as well so the P97 sounds intriguing.

I love Glocks, but would like to own something different. That being said, nothing I've shot felt as good as a Glock in my hand.
    Take a look at an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness in .45, which is a cz75 clone. Nice and heavy, great grip, traditional double-action, fairly inexpensive. It probably doesn't compare to a high-dollar 1911, but it's underrated, IMHO.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Don't overlook the Springfield Armory 1911s... ruggedly built, and great customer service should you need it.

If plastic guns float your boat, I've heard great things about the Springer XDs compact .45.
    OD*, Jaeger and BigJon10125 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If I were to be out to get a new .45 and the idea was for it to be an everyone handles it great little shooter, I’d have to be thinking, match grade pistol. Likely in the 1911 style… or something quite close to it, depending.

I’d also be thinking about $$$$.

If $$$$ wasn’t an issue I’d go with something like a Kimber race gun, or something even more upscale, like a Nighthawk, Les Bare, SW Performance Center or a Wilson.

Or if $$$ was an issue the Springer XDM 5.25 which is available in 45ACP now.

At $699 the Springfield XDM 5.25 ought to be a fun gun to have, and shoot. Match grade barrel, very nice trigger and able to be accessorized or smithed to fit and run great.

Even the new Ruger SR 45 would see my hands on it too if possible. Rugers are dead dependable pistols and I’ve owned many. Have two now in fact. One 40, and one KP 345.

Last year I was seeking a true duty pistol and I almost bought the 5.25 but it wasn’t available in 45. Only 9 & 40SW at the time. It’s different now.

Never been keen on G-Locks, but they’ve got a new 45 out if you can find one, of course. 30 s?

Pondered HK 45… and tons of others. Finally I went off for a FN FNP 45Tactical. It’s large and has 15rd capacity, over 5in. threaded barrel. Cheaper mags than HK, sure is hand filling though. Shoots really nice. 160gr is like shooting a 22. 185gr is nothing much at all either. 230+ p gets your attention some though. Set up for RMR halo sights or as I did, just add a Viridian X5L and it’s amazingly accurate.. and loads of fun to shoot.

But for an everybody shooter in 45ACP I’d sure be thinking about a one hole ‘match’ gun instead..

A 1911 in fact. Almost anyone can handle it pretty well given it’s standard dimensions. Able to replace grips is a big plus and being able to readily have the trigger dialed in is even bigger plus. Sights too are plentiful for this type.

Yeah a really nice match grade 1911 possibly in Stainless too, would probably get the nod from me, if I were in your shoes. My neighbor has the Kimber Combat model. Superb grips, 3lb trigger. Gorgeous gun. Feels lighter than it really is and slim enough he carries it daily.

Good luck and have fun.

STI Trojan or Glock 30 gen 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links