Pre 64 Win Model 70 .270

Pre 64 Win Model 70 .270

This is a discussion on Pre 64 Win Model 70 .270 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A shooting buddy of mine came across this gun that his neighbor is selling. The serial # 232XXX Indicates that it was made in 1952 ...

Thread: Pre 64 Win Model 70 .270

Pre 64 Win Model 70 .270

A shooting buddy of mine came across this gun that his neighbor is selling. The serial # 232XXX Indicates that it was made in 1952 (according to what my neighbor said he looked up online). Took it shooting today after checking it out and cleaning it, worked flawlessly.

The question we/I have is regarding the stock. Of all that I have looked at online I have not seen any that have this stock. This makes me wonder if it is original. The neighbor (current owner) said it hasn't been shot in 20 years, and that he got it from his FIL.

Any info would be much appreciated. I know a bit, specifically that pre 64 are the desired models but any other enlightening info is always appreciated.

The pics are mainly of the stock in question. My buddy is cleaning the rifle tonight as we shot it today so I will see about getting a full size picture.

Thank you,
    Attached Images
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Nothing? Dern it!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have my Grandfather's immediate postwar production Model 70 .270 Winchester. The stock is very plain. I suspect yours is an aftermarket or custom stock installed to give the rifle that "Weatherby" look.

OD*
    I have never seen a M70 stocked that way from the factory.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I have my Grandfather's immediate postwar production Model 70 .270 Winchester. The stock is very plain. I suspect yours is an aftermarket or custom stock installed to give the rifle that "Weatherby" look.
    I believe that is exactly right.

Custom Weatherby Mark V Deluxe Stock | eBay
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks!
    BigJon

Links